• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Modified MkIIIs

Matt_Fisher

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen a couple pictures of modified MkIII combat boots with Vibram soles and polyurethane midsoles added to them, but has anybody ever had the eyelets modified to put speed lace eyelets on the boots?

I've never seen it before matt, but that just might happen the next time I take my boots back home. luckily I have a spare set of boots that have vibrams on them, hopefully I'll have cash to do it  8)
Greg

Off topic- Does any one know any were close to Borden you can get teh vibram soles done?

Matt, that sounds like a cool idea, putting the speed lace eyelets on teh MKIII's

foerestedwarrior, try talking to a doctor or something at MIR. I've had problems with my feet so they gave me a chit entitling me to get 2 pairs of boots done up with the vibram soles. If not, try talking to base QM or something.

you can do it with desert boots too, although presumably you'll lose the mine protection offered by the original sole.

by the way, where would one get the speed lacing eyelets to put on the mark IIIs?

Big Foot said:
foerestedwarrior, try talking to a doctor or something at MIR. I've had problems with my feet so they gave me a chit entitling me to get 2 pairs of boots done up with the vibram soles. If not, try talking to base QM or something.

You dont need a chit to get the vibram sole put on now.

Big Foot said:
by the way, where would one get the speed lacing eyelets to put on the mark IIIs?

That's the question which spurred me to start this thread.  ;D

Well I'm just saying, I'd like to know too :) having speed laces on them would make them just that much better.

I agree with that too.  When I was in, I never had a problem with the actual fit or comfort of the boot portion of the MK III.  The soles sucked in terms of shock absorbtion and were slippery as sh*t on ice (although I've never compared them to the Cold/Wet Weather boot) but the worst thing was the eyelets that had to be unlaced in order to get your boot on or off.

I think that adding speedlaces, a vibram/polurethan composite sole, a decent cushioning insole, a pull tab on the back of the boot and a padded collar would make the MKIIIs pretty decent boots.

I got vibram soles put on a pair of combat boots buy the guy at MoneysWorthy and Best at Billings Bridge Plaza in Ottawa.  He put so much of the foam shock absorber in there that they ended up being ridiculously thick.  A course instructor asked me if I was a disco dancer.

does anyone have experience with danner acadias?.  I'm getting the same sole on my mklll's right now the 148 klettlerlift sole

Graeme said:
does anyone have experience with danner acadias?.   I'm getting the same sole on my mklll's right now the 148 klettlerlift sole

my matterhorn's have the same sole; they help more with my screwed up feet then a regular vibram sole does. it feels pretty comfy on my foot, I personally think I get better traction as well.
Greg

Britney Spears said:
you can do it with desert boots too, although presumably you'll lose the mine protection offered by the original sole.

I don't have any experience with desert boots (besides drooling over them at a distance ;)) so please excuse my uninformed question, but how, exactly, would soles protect against land mines? From what I've seen in presentations from various engineers anti-pers mines don't need more than a couple pounds of pressure.

I think there may be some confusion between different kinds of boots here.  Regular desert boots likely provide no more protection from mines than any other boot.  However there is a type of boot which is worn  by engineers which looks somewhat like a desert boot (same colour and basic upper design) but which has a special sole designed to minimize damage done by a mine.  Instead of a normal tread pattern the sole has several long cleats around the outside of the foot which raise the boot quite high off the ground.  This is because the bottom of the sole is wedge shaped (something like the hull of a ship) and armoured, the idea being that if you step on a mine the blast will be redirected outwards away from your foot hopefully preventing most damage.  This boot would likely be effective only against smaller "toe popper" type mines with a small explosive charge but every little bit helps.

Aahhhhh, ok, that makes a lot more sense. I still think they should just roll a few big rocks through a minefield before setting foot in it  ;D

Can anyone tell me when they recinded the CANLANDGEN forbidding the use of aftermarket insoles on the MkIII?

I have a pair due for replacement due to wear on the sole, but I'd much rather keep them. I've had them for so long the leather is like butter...I'd hate to have to break in a new pair. ;)

:dontpanic:
J.M.

I don't know id it ever got superceded, but there is a better one, 00398, It allows for any black goretex boot you can find on the civvy market to be worn in the field until the Army can procure a "suitable" goretex boot.  Also, 01299 sates that you can wear the issued fleece as an outer, regardless of what an RSM says.  but, even when you carry a laminated copy of it in the pocket and show them, they still seem to go bananas on you.

Bomber said:
I don't know id it ever got superceded, but there is a better one, 00398, It allows for any black goretex boot you can find on the civvy market to be worn in the field until the Army can procure a "suitable" goretex boot.   Also, 01299 sates that you can wear the issued fleece as an outer, regardless of what an RSM says.   but, even when you carry a laminated copy of it in the pocket and show them, they still seem to go bananas on you.

Is there a place where I can find the actual document to back this up? A CANFORGEN? Something anything that I can use?

I can't get to an external site for 00398 or 01299, talk to your OR, they should have a paper copy or be able to put you on the Army library

Back