• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Monthly Pay after deductions - Questions [Merged]

Minus quebec taxes, minus two pension payments and R&Q and that's how much you will get.

Fogle said:
What is this BS about 1400~ a month?

Taken off of the CFRC website

http://www.forces.ca/media/_PDF/PayScalesNCMReg_en.pdf

Recruits, Basic Training and Private: 31,488 yearly and 2,624 monthly

What the monograms show is GROSS PAY not NET PAY.

During training:
meni0n said:
Minus quebec taxes, minus two pension payments and R&Q and that's how much you will get.

Once posted to where you will be doing your Trades Course add in appropriate MESS DUES too.

EDITED TO ADD

And if you are a Reservist the above rates DO NOT APPLY.

How do they manage taking off 800 in pension and income tax? Here I was thinking I was getting ripped off in BC, having 160 taxed off of 1500 a month income... That is just silly.

:stars:

And do these deductions to around 1400 a month continue after BMQ, aside from the rent expenses etc, or do more fees get lifted?

Yes you will always pay into two pensions and the taxes, well that will depend which province you will end up. If you choose to live in  the shacks after your first posting and pay for rations then those will come out otherwise it's just taxes, pension, EI, mess dues, disability etc,

It's not so bad as a private than when it is when you hit corporal. I have about 1700$ worth of deductions and that's without rations and quarters as I live off base.

Fogle said:
How do they manage taking off 800 in pension and income tax? Here I was thinking I was getting ripped off in BC, having 160 taxed off of 1500 a month income... That is just silly.

Well, first you will make more money than before, therefore you will be in a higher tax bracket (you will pay more % of your salary in taxes and CPP than before).

Second, you will be living in Quebec and taxed in Quebec, which means you will pay more taxes than BC.

In taxes and CPP, you should pay roughly 585$ according to my rough calculations.

Then, you will also have to contribute to your "CF" Pension.  It's roughly 8.1% of your salary if my memory is right.  That's 213$.

There is your 800$ (798$ to be exact) in taxes and pension.

Actually I believe you pay Mess dues (to The Bistro) while at CFLRS.  Afterall, according to the CFAOs, every mbr must belong to a Mess and pay Mess dues.  The Sea King Club (Jnr Ranks, 12 Wing) is $12 a month.  I put that on my taxes as "professional dues" or something like that each year. 

Fogle,

$160 of $1500 is just over what...10%?  My wife used to wonder "where all my money went" until I showed her one of my mid-month pay statments last year.  Off my roughly $5300 a month gross pay (counting PLD of $631), over $2k of that went to taxes and deductions.  Income tax, CPP and EI contributions, my CF pension, mess dues, PSHCP contributions, my SISIP OGTI (life insurance).  It all adds up.  However, I challenge you to find an employer who will charge you $4 a month for your family to partake in a medical/dental plan comparable to ours.  My wife used to pay $160 a month for her plan before we were together and it didn't have half the coverage or the (IMO) very low annual deductible amount.  The dental plan is FREE for dependents.

You have to look at it from the bigger picture sometimes.  As for the rations charges, I challenge anyone to find a company that will do all your cooking, kitchen cleaning, grocery shopping and dishes for $500 a month and provide 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.  ;D

Thanks, Eye in the Sky. Thats a great fistful of good points on the matter. I suppose I do like my roads plowed and my hospitals open, so I'll stop complaining. I actually talked with an American trucker the other day who told me his company just got an 800 a month medicare plan for families that he is just stoked about  ;D Glad I live north of the 49

Also, I respect how you handled Duckmarch back there, very impressive

I believe Quebec has the highest income tax rate in Canada, if not than definitely one of the highest. The good thing is that when you file your income tax the rate you pay is that of the province in which you lived on December 31st.

JBoyd said:
I believe Quebec has the highest income tax rate in Canada, if not than definitely one of the highest. The good thing is that when you file your income tax the rate you pay is that of the province in which you lived on December 31st.

Ahh yes, this is very important. It meant that my first year, I ended up paying Alberta taxes rather than Quebec taxes, despite the fact that I spend from Jan 14 to 10 Dec "living" in Quebec.

JBoyd said:
The good thing is that when you file your income tax the rate you pay is that of the province in which you lived on December 31st.

Yup. That, however, tends to balance out and come back to bite you when you move from Alberta to.....oh lets say...New Brunswick !!

"Welcome to NB, you owe 2500 bucks....."

That's the entrance fee to the land that fun forgot...............

;D

Alright.....all that said, back to the first post and question. How much do we clear  per pay while at BMQ. I'd like to get a ballpark figure....married guy with 2 dependents. Any current St. Jean attendees care to answer?

forumdood007 said:
Alright.....all that said, back to the first post and question. How much do we clear  per pay while at BMQ. I'd like to get a ballpark figure....married guy with 2 dependents. Any current St. Jean attendees care to answer?

It was posted a couple of pages back.....

Thibeault89 said:
Thats it, 1400/2 on the 15th and last day of the month, between 650-750 per pay.

give or take that is what you will be taking home......

As per the sheet i received from the recruiting center when i was sworn in, take home for singles is: $1342.85/month and for married/commonlaw: $1928.67/month. The only difference is singles having to pay rations and quarters.

Unfortunately it is hard to give a proper estimate as allowances/deductions will be different from person to person.

I am currently attending CFLRS, married with 3 dependants, my last pay was somewhere around $1150. I believe this includes PLD and most likely separation expense, as well reflects extra deductions (SISIP life insurance, BC MSP, etc.)

Once I receive the stub I can PM you with a proper breakdown if you'd like.

Quote by Meridian in 2007

All,

I was able to find a fairly old topic that covered the deductions at BMQ for a basic Private, the sheet that is included apparently in the Joining Instructions (though I don't see it on CFLRS website). 

While I know where to get the gross monthly pay, I'm interested in the actual net pay; particularly because its a smaller amount. (I'd be joining CEOTP, and the pay is roughly equivalent to a BMQ Private).

The sheet is similar to the following, I'm looking for updated values, as Im sure these have changed:

Single:

Pay rate:  2421.00
Supplemental death benefits: 5.85
Employment Insurance: 47.21
CF Pension and CPP: 203.44
SISSIP/LTD: 5.07
Income Taxes: 415.51
Sales tax: 0.53
Single quarters: 74.00
Rations: 365.61

Total deductions: 1117.22

Net take home pay:  1303.78

In 2008, a Pte IPC 1 was getting about 1400 bucks clear a month in Alberta while living in shacks. As a Pte IPC 2, I was getting about 1800 clear a month living in shacks.

If you are a scrooge like me, you can afford to sleep on a bed of money every night. If you are an idiot, you will be perpetually broke.

If you are sensible and balanced person, you will live a decent life.

How's that? Mileage may vary.

Good answer PopnFresh!

I've worked with single people who were making 5-6 grand a month on the rigs and they were always broke and i've seen people raise families with money in the bank with considerably less, guessing more like 3 or less thousand a month.

All depends on the person.

I'm getting these figures right from my pay statement (2009-12-02).

Current pay and allowances: $2,624
Deductions: $1,361.69
Single Quarters: $92.00
Rations: $493.82

Perfect....thanks Erik.

Can someone confirm that that would be for a single person and that a married one (with dependents) wouldn't be paying the Quarters or Rations fees?

Back