• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Moobs" - What are the options to remove them?

Silently Suffering

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I wish to remain anonymous as this issue is very sensitive to me.   I have a condition known as "gyno". 

Moobs. B*tch T*ts. Poofy Nips. There are more names. I know, I've been called them all. 

Most times you hear of this, it is some roid head who grew boobs after a cycle or 2 too many. 

What you don't hear is up to 60% of men are stuck with this condition from puberty on. 

I am 27 years old. Ive spent 7 of those in Cbt Arms. To say that I've grown a thick skin is to say the least. But that skin is wearing thin. 

There is nothing I can do about them. No amount of PT, diet or anything works.   I spend most days wearing at least 2 t-shirts at once trying to compress them.   Very uncomfortable, especially in hot weather, or in the field trying to be as light as possible. 

There is pain. The glands under the nipples are aggravated, and very sensitive to pressure. Running (obviously), body armour (compression) are very painful. And I'm tired of sucking it up. I shouldn't have to deal with this anymore. 

There is the emotional. I haven't been topless at a beach since is was 13. Same for pools. If I can get out of it, I avoid going to places like this at all costs. I am so embarrassed. It goes as far as avoiding communal showers because of it. Can you imagine being in the field for a month, finally getting a chance at a quick rinse, and being petrified, trying to get out of it?  It's gross. It's unsanitary, so I go, but the stress is ridiculous. 

I haven't been topless in front of my wife more than maybe 3-5 times. Ever. She doesn't care, but I can't bring myself to take my top off. Not unless it's night and the lights are off, and even then. I don't want her to touch them. 

I can barely look myself in the mirror without wanting to puke. I don't want to come off sounding vain, at all. But this really bothers me, and it has for over half my life. 

I hear of people going through sex changes, paid for by the military, others just straight up milking the system. I've given 7 good hard years, and am staying in it for the long haul (IE25) at least. Is there some way I can approach this to get at least some of the cost covered?  

I have a young family to support, and the minimum $3000 (for who knows what quality) for male breast reduction is so far out of my budget it's ridiculous. 

It's a physical issue. A confidence issue, and it's a quality of life issue that has taken me to my wits end. I don't know what to do, but I'm tired of suffering in pain from this. I'm tired of being ashamed. I'm just tired of it. 

Make an appointment with an MO.  If there is pain, etc, that may be justification for reduction surgery.  Also, make an appointment with psych/social.  You might not want to, but surgery might get approved due to self esteem issues.

In the meantime, good on you for sticking things out.  I can't imagine what you're going through.

Nowhere in your post do I see mention of any medical consultation/intervention for your condition.  Have you seen the quacks to discuss your medical problem?  If not, then that is the first (and probably only) avenue you need take.  While I am now retired from the CF and thus no longer current with the specifics of the spectrum of care, I was familiar with several cases of breast reduction surgery (both female and male) for serving members.

Thanks for the input. Believe it or not, it is the pain that bothers me most. Not being as effective at my job as I could be is the worst of it.

Black adder, thanks to you too. I've never mentioned this to anyone. Ever. It has taken me years to get to the point of reaching out anonymously on the Internet. But your advice is very much appreciated, and even suggests a glimmer of hope.

Hey,

I wish I could say that I know what you're going through, but that would be lying. High-fives for seeking help for this, I know how hard it can be to reach out for ANYTHING, physiological or other self-esteem issues. I don't have much experience in this area, though, but the above ideas seem like the right track.

Props, dude.

I've known lots of guys who got breast tissue removed for lots of good reasons - psychological issues, history of breast cancer in the family (yes guys get it too), pain, etc.  Talk to your MO.

MM

PS- the condition is "gynecomastia" - a gyno is who I send women to for getting their nether regions checked out  ;).

MM

I was so shocked to find that there are dudes out there that go through this. But then again, I go to through much effort to keep it secret, why wouldn't they?  Can I get an appointment with an MO or shrink without first going to sick parade?

You should be able to call the MIR and request an appt with an MO. Then notify your CoC that you have an appt at X day and time, you don't have to tell them why.

If you want to talk to a Mental Health professional, but want to avoid the MIR to start, why not call the Member Assistance Program?  I've used them in the past, so has my wife.  I can't say a bad thing about it from my experience.  In my location, you don't go near the Base Hosptial at all, and I even went in civies. 

Might be a start point on the MH side to break the ice and get things moving kinda thing.  :nod:

CF Member Assistance Program (MAP)

Even if you can't get the time to go to an appointment but can pull off hitting sick parade, just tell them you need to see an MO.  When they take your vitals and ask what the issue is, tell them it's personal and you want to see an MO.  When you see the MO, be frank.  They can handle medical options (reduction) and can also help set you up with MH for the self-esteem issues, which you will probably have to deal with after surgery, should you end up going that route.

Good luck and kudos for coming out here and asking for help.

Silently Suffering said:
I was so shocked to find that there are dudes out there that go through this. But then again, I go to through much effort to keep it secret, why wouldn't they?  Can I get an appointment with an MO or shrink without first going to sick parade?

Please, once you get your appointment, be straight up with them. Let them know about the pain, the psychological issues that you are having with the situation and the pains/lengths that you are going to avoid their 'detection'. They will help you with all of the above, but you need to make them aware of all the details and that for you, this is a priority to your mental and physical well-being.

I wish you well in your journey. Keep your chin held high.

Vern

All of the advice given thus far is really good.  Please follow it and don't worry about repercussions from your chain of command or your mates - because they should never find out.  Even your CO doesn't need to know the details.  You have a RIGHT to confidentiality on this.  The only thing that your CO will be told is about any limitations you may have (e.g. needing Sick Leave to recover from surgery).  The medical folks won't tell him the details and you don't have to either.

In the short term, have you tried vaseline on your nipples when exercising?  Synthetic (especially mesh) materials in exercise wear are hard on everybody's nipples.  I've found vaseline to be quite helpful.

Good luck.

ArmyVern said:
Please, once you get your appointment, be straight up with them. Let them know about the pain, the psychological issues that you are having with the situation and the pains/lengths that you are going to avoid their 'detection'. They will help you with all of the above, but you need to make them aware of all the details and that for you, this is a priority to your mental and physical well-being.

I wish you well in your journey. Keep your chin held high.

Vern

:goodpost:

I agree.  Even if you have to print out what you posted here and bring it in, let them know how this is affecting you.

Pusser said:
All of the advice given thus far is really good.  Please follow it and don't worry about repercussions from your chain of command or your mates - because they should never find out.  Even your CO doesn't need to know the details.  You have a RIGHT to confidentiality on this.  The only thing that your CO will be told is about any limitations you may have (e.g. needing Sick Leave to recover from surgery).  The medical folks won't tell him the details and you don't have to either.

Exactly.  No one needs to know why you have a medical appointment.

Pusser said:
In the short term, have you tried vaseline on your nipples when exercising?  Synthetic (especially mesh) materials in exercise wear are hard on everybody's nipples.  I've found vaseline to be quite helpful.

Good advice, but I believe it's the glands underneath that are causing the pain.

Over the years I have seen a few other men in the CF come to get treatment for this problem. IMHO they were well managed both socially and technically. 

It is an important thing to get checked out and not just live with.  Not just because of the appearance problems, but gynecomastia can be the result of something more sinister (thyroid, liver, kidney, hormonal, testicular, etc problems).  These things need to be checked out to ensure they are not the cause (some medications and herbals also can cause it).  Gynecomastia can also just happen for no reason (called idopathic gynecomastia) but you will never know unless you go get checked out. 

Often when the underlying cause is fixed the problem goes away.  There is also medication to treat pain and tenderness that I have seen used in the CF - once. If there is no cause of the problem I have a CF members get plastic surgery to correct the problem and another one have a suction lipectomy at a civilian clinic to fix the problem. 

Good luck and if you need anything drop me line.

MC

I want to start by expressing my extreme gratitude to everyone that has posted on this. Your support is such a massive relief. It's quite obvious what I need to do. I think it's going to take some time to get psyched up enough to get in and get working on this. But you guys (and gals) have helped so much already. You have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear positive words related to this. I really appreciate it.

MedCorps, that is some scary stuff. I've only just started looking into this condition, as I just thought it was something to b endured, but it looks like its more serious (possibly) than just having knockers. I'm going to have to do a lot more self-education on this. Thank you for your knowledge on this topic.

Silently Suffering said:
I want to start by expressing my extreme gratitude to everyone that has posted on this. Your support is such a massive relief. It's quite obvious what I need to do. I think it's going to take some time to get psyched up enough to get in and get working on this. But you guys (and gals) have helped so much already. You have no idea how much of a relief it is to hear positive words related to this. I really appreciate it.

MedCorps, that is some scary stuff. I've only just started looking into this condition, as I just thought it was something to b endured, but it looks like its more serious (possibly) than just having knockers. I'm going to have to do a lot more self-education on this. Thank you for your knowledge on this topic.

You could look at it this way in a means to "psyche yourself up":

Step 1) Admitting to yourself that you need help - check;
Step 2) Admitting (even anonymously) to a bunch of idiots on the internet that you need help; people who can listen, but can not physically help you - check;

Step 3) Walk in and see the "professionals" and just flat out let them know what's going on with you ... people who actually can help you on the physical side of the house with complete confidentiality and knowledge.

Step 3 isn't such a big step anymore. Just remember that you've already told us, so telling them is big, but secondary. Strangers know. Your journey has already begun.

If hesitant to talk about it with them, take Moe's advice and print this thread out and take it in with you. I can almost guarantee that you'll find their reaction relieving, professional and immediatly of help.

MedCorps said:
Over the years I have seen a few other men in the CF come to get treatment for this problem. IMHO they were well managed both socially and technically. 

It is an important thing to get checked out and not just live with.  Not just because of the appearance problems, but gynecomastia can be the result of something more sinister (thyroid, liver, kidney, hormonal, testicular, etc problems).  These things need to be checked out to ensure they are not the cause (some medications and herbals also can cause it).  Gynecomastia can also just happen for no reason (called idopathic gynecomastia) but you will never know unless you go get checked out. 

Often when the underlying cause is fixed the problem goes away.  There is also medication to treat pain and tenderness that I have seen used in the CF - once. If there is no cause of the problem I have a CF members get plastic surgery to correct the problem and another one have a suction lipectomy at a civilian clinic to fix the problem. 

Good luck and if you need anything drop me line.

MC

What he said.

Treatment is a mastectomy.

SS, as ArmyVern said, if you're comfortable sharing this kind of thing via the interwebs (where the potential for poking with a stick is not zero), you've taken a huge step forward.  Letting medical professionals know about this and getting their help is the next one.

Well done, and good luck in your search for help - if you're comfortable doing so, let us know how it goes.

PMedMoe said:
Even if you have to print out what you

I think that is an excellent idea. If you don't think you can open up face-to-face and get your point across, then print if off. If an MO reads that post, they will take you seriously and help you.*

*Not suggesting they wouldn't anyway.

I've seen 2 or 3 patients similarly afflicted in the past couple of years.  One was lost to follow-up, but to the best of my knowledge, none of them had any serious etiologies to cause their symptoms. 

While I don't think this applies to your case, one thing I would suggest is to ensure you are not taking any supplements (other than perhaps whey protein or creatine).  At least one individual I've seen had a history of taking "herbal supplements" that had "hormonal sounding names" and may have been prohormones.  In consultation with another military physician, we are under the impression that an "exogenous" or "self-induced" gynecomastia might not be covered by the CF.  You'd almost certainly get blood work done for a hormonal profile with those physical findings, and interpretation of the results is made significantly more difficult if a member is taking a bunch of supplements (especially frustrating when he or she doesn't knows the names or compositions of any of them).

Good luck.

Back