• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Most Deserving Military-Themed Charity?

Ex Ranger Instructor

Reaction score
A civilian friend of mine just asked me a question that I thought I'd throw out to this board:

"I'm in a football pool that gives away a bunch of cash and the guy running it wants to give some to a charity that supports troops when they come home.  Do you know of a worthwhile charity offhand?"

I don't have any personal experience with such charities, so I'm hoping for some feedback from those who do.  I'm also ignorant of how one would go about donating to OSISS or any other such service that is directly provided by the government: I'm hoping to find out how one would do so, assuming that it is even possible.

My buddy would appreciate it if anyone with thoughts on this could chime in.

willy said:
A civilian friend of mine just asked me a question that I thought I'd throw out to this board:

"I'm in a football pool that gives away a bunch of cash and the guy running it wants to give some to a charity that supports troops when they come home.  Do you know of a worthwhile charity offhand?"

I don't have any personal experience with such charities, so I'm hoping for some feedback from those who do.  I'm also ignorant of how one would go about donating to OSISS or any other such service that is directly provided by the government: I'm hoping to find out how one would do so, assuming that it is even possible.

My buddy would appreciate it if anyone with thoughts on this could chime in.

OSISS does not take funds, as it is a government program.  I would look at Soldier On, which is a charity, or Military Minds which is a Non Profit organization aimed at helping those that suffer with OSIs.

dileas

tess

(Non Government) Wounded Warriors.ca helps injured soldiers. Very well administered with committee.

(Government Organization) - (it runs on donations) Soldier On is also affiliated with Military Family Funds so the money would be dispensed between them. Very well administered with all the typical government hoops to jump through but they do a great job.  Ottawa Army Run is the largest sponsor to this charity.

(Non Government) Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Canada (PHWFFC- has affiliation with USA) equips and instructs injured soldiers how to fly fish and takes them on fishing trips.  The have National and Provincial Reps, most of who are vets.  We just started one in Ottawa/Petawawa area.

There are a number of other people looking for money, however, those indicated above really do put out a bang for your buck donation.

VETS Canada (http://vetscanada.org/), all volunteer organization that works to get homeless veterans off the street and to help prevent them from becoming homeless in the first place. I donate to them monthly.

Back