• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Most Memorable Rememberance Day Service

GUNS said:
I had to admire this German Veteran, he was a simple soldier doing as ordered. He held no ill-will towards Allied soldiers as he explained to me, they were only doing as ordered as well.

We are all brother in arms my friend. I remember talking to a cab driver one day while waiting for my VIP to come down. And he was formally from the Egyptian army. After a few years in Canada, he had to get open heart surgery. After the surgery, he was talking to the doctor. And found out that the doctor was ex-Israeli soldier. He ask why he didn't kill him, or refuse the operation. But instead he regave life instead of taking it. And all he said was "we are all brother in arms. We just follow orders."  :salute:

five years ago I was walking by the cenotaph in Saskatoon, completely unaware of the date (I work at home, on weekends, whenever I get up.  It's surprisingly easy to lose track of day of the week and date, without a 5 day work week to help you keep track.) and caught the beginning of the ceremony.  Not many people there, maybe 25 or so.  I stayed, and I've never forgot the minute of silence.

Apparently 10K people showed up in Ottawa today.  Times change.

Lest we forget.  For all current and ex-soldiers reading this, Thank you.

It was 11 November 1997.  I was a student at The University of Western Ontario.  I was unable to attend the remembrance day services as exams were coming up and it was vital to be in classes that day (this was before it was a statutory holiday).  Anyway, at around 10:58 I went out on the smoke break between classes with two of my friends. The sounds of university life were in the back ground as we talked and chatted.  Then, at 11, the bells of Middlesex Tower chimed 11 times.  Then silence.  EVERYONE that was walking back and forth to and from class just stopped, as though commanded by some imbedded timer.  The silence was indeed deafening, and when life returned to normalcy some two minutes later, I and my friends were left speechless.  There was no pomp, no circumstance, just a simple act of stopping and remaining silent. 

Wow.

I would say this year will be one I won't forget any time soon. I work at the Legion and my son is now based here at home. He was chosen to be in our colour party, proudly carrying the NATO flag. As I watched the parade forming up, all these young men and women vets now, and the older men vets from another era together, all marching so proud. The hardest part of the whole day was when a lone piper started playing " Amazing Grace" in the Legion, I don't think there was a dry eye in the place.

Yesterday, when we did our march past Old City Hall, and the large number of people who were still there (from the City's own ceremony), started cheering as we went by.  Very powerfull to hear the Pipes and Drums echoing off all the buildings, along with all the cheers and clapping.

As a trumpet player, I have had the privilege of playing most of our community's Remembrance Day and memorial ceremonies for the past 20 years (I'm 35 now).  This year on Nov. 4th my church had a memorial service and I did my duty for the Last Post.  The silence that followed was broken by a baby crying and as I pondered how the veterans must feel by having the reverence of the moment violated it struck me that this must have been precisely the reason that many of them volunteered to go fight, for the freedom and the future of their children.  As that realization broke over me it was driven home when I realized that the baby crying in the back row was my own little girl, now just 6 weeks old.  I played Reveille with tears in my eyes and I think something changed inside of me that morning because now, a scant week later, I have on my desk an envelope addressed to the Halifax recruiting center.  I don't know how things will play out but I suspect that the next time I put horn to lips for Remembrance Day it will be in uniform.

I was a CF member from 1976-1995. Two stand out in my mind, the first, 11 Nov 88 at the Weyburn Legion in Saskatchewan. Plenty of SSR Dieppe Vets, and our small contingent was greeted and treated most excellent by all.

It was good to hear it all first hand from a few Vets who spoke openly about their 19 Aug 42 experience at their landing at Puys. I am privillaged, as now their numbers get fewer, and soon there will be none left. Time waits for no one.

The second was only a year ago, 11 Nov 06 in Baghdad. We had the ceremonies right in our compound. The Ambassador showed up, along with a dog and pony show of who's who, both US Army, and Australians from our HQ at BIAP.

As the chatter of small arms fire barked intermittently in the background, with some distant 'incoming', all made that day sink forever deep into my mind.

This year, it was a Sunday, I could have went down to the Bribie Island RSL, but I did not. I chose just to stay at home, and thought of where I was just 12 short monthd ago, and I thought of the 600+ US soldiers who were KIA'd in my time in country, and then I thought of our own recent losses, including Pearce, from my own regiment who was KIA on 08 Oct 07.

A half of a bottle of Jack D later......, I was zzzzzzz!

Regards,

Wes

I'll see if I can find a pic when I get home.

For me, it's a toss up between this year and last year.

Last year, I had just come home from Afghanistan (everyone knows why... not going to go into it again) and wasn't able to march in the parade.  It was the first year in 12 years or so that I was a spectator and not a participant.  It was a very emotional service for me, knowing the rest of my platoon was still in Afghanistan as well as the loss of some friends both while I was there and shortly after I left. 
After the parade, we (the Regiment) did what we always do; get on the bus and go to every Legion and service club in Kitchener-Waterloo (about 7 clubs)... then we cap off the night with dinner at a local pub and then out on the town (for those who survive that long... I usually don't make it past dinner).
We were in the middle of dinner, and the pub had the news on the big screen.  Don Cherry's Remembrance Day address came on, and he read a letter sent to him by one of the boys in my platoon, who was still over seas... Don Cherry held up a Crazy 8s patch the boys sent him as he read the letter.  It really got to me. 
At the end of the report, they showed all the soldiers who had died ending with the few who were on my tour. It was yet another very emotional event...

This year the parade and ceremony went well; not quote as emotional as last year.  There was one major difference which made this year quite memorable; the bus tour.
Normally, as I said before, we get on a bus which the Legions in KW set up ($2 tickets). The bus goes between all the Legions and service clubs in the area on a regular schedule and gives us a chance to visit each one for about 15 min per club. The bus is usually packed with vets, Legion members, soldiers, and civilians.  We encourage the troops to get on the bus and visit vets at each Legion. The down sides to the bus are; it only stays at the Legions for 15 min each, it only hits the Legions and service clubs in Kitchener-Waterloo and not Cambridge (which is where are HQ is), and after the Legions, we're on our own to get around anywhere else we want to go. Besides all that, the idea of a bus for the Legions and service clubs is awesome.

Anyway, this year we paraded in Galt Cambridge (We rotate between KW and Cambridge each year), and since there is no Legion bus in that area, our only options were to either drive to a Legion in Kitchener and miss all the Legions in Cambridge and have to leave cars on the other side of town, or rent our own bus.
We rented our own bus... for 12 hours.  We started in Cambridge, departing the Armoury at 1330h, and headed to the Hespler Legion, followed by the Preston Legion, the we made our way to Kitchener. We finished the Legion and Service club rounds at about 2030h at Branch 530 Legion in Waterloo, spending at least 30 min at each Legion.  We had 3 pipers with us (one of which didn't bring his pipes... not mentioning names... but he is a member here.) and we piped are way into each Legion.
Once the Legion tour was done, we made our way to a local pub for dinner, and at around 2230h, we mounted up again and moved the troops to a Bar for some social time.
We made our last rounds to drop people off closer to their homes (so they could get taxi's or rides from friends) at around 2400h ending back at the Cambridge armoury at around 0030h... Those of us who were left cleaned out the bus and sent the driver on his way happy.  He even volunteered to drive us next year.

We did have a somber moment though;  Along the route we stopped at Parkview cemetery to pay our respects to our fallen friend and brother; Johnny Xaysy's.
It gave us all the perspective of the day; a day to Remember all our fallen friends.
We were honoured to have Johnny's brother, Jamie, along for the ride (as a guest of the JR's mess), and for many members, including myself, it was an emotional moment.
For the ceremony in Kitchener, a representative the Junior ranks mess, and a close friend of Johnny's along with Johnny's brother, laid a wreath at the cenotaph in his memory. In Cambridge, a civilian friend of the Regiment (our Regimental Librarian) read a poem she wrote entitled "Johnny X".

This year had it's great moments; the bus, the Legions and the comradely of fellow soldiers. And it had its somber moments; remembering fallen friends and long talks with veterans... the kind of discussions only heard between fellow soldiers over a beer. 

It was a very memorable Remembrance Day.

lol.......yeah, no names on the guy who forgot his pipes, but at least he did fill in for the other piper who couldnt keep up due to an overindulgence of a few too many liquid libations and next year, im sure said piper will remember to bring his babies......

I was part of this event in Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo and I can tell you that this was a very memorable day for me and my better half.  The comraderie displayed amongst the Fusilier's was second to none.  What was even better was the way the boys accepted this guy into the fold, making me an "honourary Fusilier", something I accept with pride.  As RHFC_Piper said, the day wasnt without it's sombre moments.  I wasnt able to make Johnny X's funeral due to commitments elsewhere, but last night I got my chance to say goodbye.  Truly a loved guy and a touching tribute from the jocks.  I hope that stopping to pay our respects will become a yearly thing as well.

Thanks for the memories RHFC_Piper, I hope to be apart of many more with you guys.  It will be my honour and pleasure to play with you guys again soon!

This year - I was flying home from a short trip to London on Nov 11.  Flight was at 1500, so we had time to head downtown to the cenotaph to attend the service there.  The incredible silence as Big Ben began chiming 11.  The whole country truly shuts down for 2 minutes.  You can't imagine a city the size of London being that quiet!  There were 10s of thousands of people there, all had to go through a metal detector to get to the service, but no complaining.  This year they were honouring the Falklands vets - something like 12,000 of them marched in the parade.

Then on the plane for the flight home, the pilot announced that there were 11 members of the CF returning to Canada on leave (the one sitting next to me was from HMCS Toronto, I think they all were), and thanked them and all members of the CF for their work.

Then, shortly after takeoff, the pilot announced that it was 1100 at our destination (Ottawa), and asked us to observe a minute of silence in honour of Remembrance Day.

Other years - having a drink, just the members of my small-town reserve unit, with the former RSM, in honour of his dad, a WWII vet.  He would do this with us in the mess, after the service, but before we headed off to the Legion/ANAF.

One thing is for sure: the support we are all seeing across this country in the last couple of years is little short of gob-smacking. From the support the troops stickers and ribbons to the "care packages" sent overseas to the overwhelming turnouts at cenotaphs (here in Kingston, a city of a little over 100,000 people, we had 22 different Remembrance services!), all kinds of Canadians have shown levels of care and respect that I never, ever recall seeing before. It's humbling.

Cheers

y a

I would have to agree, I was at the 48th highlanders cerimony and was shocked at the crowd there must have been 500-700 people.
Back in the late 80's and ealrly 90's it was mostly family and friends of the regiment. You know we had somebody rush the colors on queen street during a march back to moss park. No including the derogatory comemnts. Ya People seem to support the military more now thats for sure.

a few years a go the local parade which is run by the local legion and the SGT at Arms, ( since been repalced) he liked to use a mix of American, Canadian and more of his own made up drill commands, not the commands taught at any  battleschool or head on any  other parade in the world. The troops on parade were from 2RCHA from Petawawa, the RSM of the unit was watching his troops on parade, i was in uniform, watching and not an offical member of the parade. When the Sgt at Arms started in with his commands the RSM forgot where he was and let out a cruse word wanting to know what the hell that man was doing and it was explained to the RSM , the RSM said he would fix that  silly man and set him on the right path after parade, after all his troops had a second parade to do after lunch under this silly  little man.
The parade formation marched back to the local Legion and the RSM lived up to his word and told the Sgt t Arms he better get it together or the parade would be short a few men .

This year the parade was under a new SGt at Arms and real commands were used.
I was pleased to see 2 Horse out on parade again and i will always remember the RSM tuning the SGT at Arms,

See, this kinda angers me.

the local parade which is run by the local legion and the SGT at Arms

He was a veteran.  Plain and simple.

he liked to use a mix of American, Canadian and more of his own made up drill commands, not the commands taught at any  battleschool or head on any  other parade in the world

Any veteran on November 11, with or without his/her faculties, can order me around a parade square using what ever commands that respectable individual can muster, and I would do my DAMNEDEST to follow.  I owe them that much.

the RSM said he would fix that  silly man and set him on the right path after parade, after all his troops had a second parade to do after lunch under this silly  little man

Any "RSM" who would disrespect a veteran IN FRONT of other soldiers is NOT much of an RSM in my books.

Boo to that.  I think my career suicide would have been justified and probably well backed had I personally wittnessed this event in question!!

To the "silly little man" who was undoubtedly a WW2 survivor -  :salute:

Whew, now that THAT's out of my system...

I love ALL Remembrance Day Parades - rain, shine, snow, heat - it's all the same.  Personal comfort is not the issue for me.  I have great feelings towards 2004, standing on Parade in Camp Julian.  I found it particular moving.  But my most memorable?  Hands down, this year.  We have been having some trouble in the discipline area with our young teenage son.  We enrolled him in Cadets at the beginning of the year.  Full circle.  BIG difference.  I stood on parade with my son in uniform for the first time.  He carried the Canadian Flag for his Corps and I couldn't have been prouder!!  :crybaby:  "To you from failing hands we throw..."

the 48th regulator said:

I wrote about my day in our Company Newsletter,

see attached

dileas

tess

Hey tess you might want to convert the document from Word 2007 to a compatible version with Word 97-2003 as not everyone will have Office 2007

Nfld Sapper said:
Hey tess you might want to convert the document from Word 2007 to a compatible version with Word 97-2003 as not everyone will have Office 2007
.........or a pdf file?

............or we can try this download:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en 

He was a veteran.  Plain and simple. 

Don’t automatically presume as much. Sadly many Legions do not have as many Veterans as they once di8d. After this years parade myself and a friend repaired to the Legion for a few wobbly pops and discovered that aside from one other person of the dozen or so there we were the only two that have ever served. Everyone else present was a Associate member. I’m not saying anything against them and it was late in the afternoon before we got there so perhaps other’s left earlier.

This picture was from the local paper and shows the Parade Marshall at the East York Service. Hard to tell if he was ever in the military. If he was in the CF he does not appear to have been in for 12 years and/or done a tour. Not saying that any of that is a prerequsite for the position mind. He may have dedicated service to the branch etc.

a1d1692743c398c59c3f015f07f7.jpeg

BTW I was there but can't say for sure what his drill was like.

Back