• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mountain Bikers in the Canadian forces?

RMCommando

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello guys my names Chris and I'm a Royal Marines commando from the UK

I was just wondering if there is a Canadian forces mountain biking team?or specifically downhill team?

I am the organiser of the Royal Marines team and we are hoping to do a sports tour to BC and would love to meet up with some Canadian riders.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Chris

- mod edit to clarify intent of thread -

RMCommando said:
Hello guys my names Chris and I'm a Royal Marines commando from the UK

I was just wondering if there is a Canadian forces mountain biking team?or specifically downhill team?

I am the organiser of the Royal Marines team and we are hoping to do a sports tour to BC and would love to meet up with some Canadian riders.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Chris
Welcome, Chris - I did a touch of editing to your thread title to make it clearer what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Is this not supposed to be secret....you know....the truck purchase thingy?.....

RMCommando said:
I don't understand mate???

GAP is trying to make a joke, that's all. The Canadian Army is currently trying to buy new trucks, but our equipment purchasing system is broken, so the army has a fleet of trucks that are rusting out/breaking, and nothing to replace them with. GAP is implying that we have a secret project to replace our truck capability with mountain bikes.

Yeah, it's guess it's not that funny when I explain it.

To answer your original question, lots of military personnel in Canada love riding their bikes, but road racing seems to the preferred sport in Canada (rather than mountain biking or track cycling). I don't know why, rough terrain is something we have lots of. I'm not familiar with any organized Canadian military sports cycling programs -- our guys seem to join and compete with the local civilian organizations instead.

I was never really that into it, and I haven't ridden in years. Can anyone who still cycles help RMCommando out with what the current cycling scene is like in Canada and the CF?

Ostrozac said:
GAP is trying to make a joke, that's all. The Canadian Army is currently trying to buy new trucks, but our equipment purchasing system is broken, so the army has a fleet of trucks that are rusting out/breaking, and nothing to replace them with. GAP is implying that we have a secret project to replace our truck capability with mountain bikes.

Yeah, it's guess it's not that funny when I explain it.

To answer your original question, lots of military personnel in Canada love riding their bikes, but road racing seems to the preferred sport in Canada (rather than mountain biking or track cycling). I don't know why, rough terrain is something we have lots of. I'm not familiar with any organized Canadian military sports cycling programs -- our guys seem to join and compete with the local civilian organizations instead.

I was never really that into it, and I haven't ridden in years. Can anyone who still cycles help RMCommando out with what the current cycling scene is like in Canada and the CF?

I have passed it on to a couple of people with contacts out that way ... hopefully they can get some connections started. But it's only a few hours since the first post, and it's Saturday, and, and , and ...

Is there a program for 'Wounded Warriors' members to take part in something like this?

George Wallace said:
Is there a program for 'Wounded Warriors' members to take part in something like this?

Soldier On would most likely be a good source to look at as they are geared towards things like this for wounded vets.

Thanks guys. I would have thought you lot would have been well into mountainbiking living in the mountainbike capital of the world.haha. Look forward to seeing what you can find out for me though. I appreciate your help

Mountain biking is alive and well  BC my friend. When are you coming, and what parts of our gargantuan province will you be seeing? I can help with guides and riding areas on Vancouver Island, and have contacts in the military in the lower mainland (Vacouver) who are avid downhillers.

Back