• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP use of force with regards to wildlife

Rabies or distemper; both are fairly common in Racoons in southern Ontario. Distemper is less likely to cross over to humans. If it is after hours, attempting to contact a Conservation Officer will result in a recording telling you to call the police. Even if during business hours, I suspect attendance might result in the Racoon and possibly the MP expiring from old age. Conservation Officers are very thin on the ground in southern Ontario. Municipal animal control don't deal in wildlife and would likely not attend a federal property.

Well from seeing a person shoot a fox from over the side of a AVGP, reload and shoot a few more times. Then watch a guy with a shovel kill the fox. I can attest the 9mm is not the best murder death kill firearm for dispatching small animals. It had multiple holes in it but still alive.

From around that neighbourhood.

That's not to say the MP wasn't justified in engaging 'Rocky', you never know the extent of the threat when he bursts in grinning a grin. If the MP's name isn't Daniel (wouldn't that be a hoot), it should be his nickname from now on.

The only time that I was aware of MPs (actually it was the RPs who did most of the shooting) using their sidearms to dispatch animals was on the camp at Ismailia (Egypt UNEF) back in the 1970s. There was a problem with feral animals (mostly cats but some wild dogs) roaming the camp so the RPs (who did the patrolling armed with SMGs) were authorized to kill them. After several . . . ahh . . . incidents, high powered pellet guns were acquired from Germany to be used for that purpose. They performed adequately - if used properly and the shooter wasn't too drunk - but that's another story.

How great is the rabies problem in that area? Would it be enough to justify rabies vaccination, if not for all members posted to Meaford, then perhaps to all MPs who, like the individual in this incident, could be required to confront a possibly infected animal and deal with it's fluids post-dispatch.

As for his shooting ability, from personal experience (in Rwanda) using a pistol to deal with wild dogs who blocked my path, at least he hit it; my couple of rounds only scared them off, though my intent was more deadly.
The racoon may also be displaying symptoms of what is commonly known as "hunger".

Well from seeing a person shoot a fox from over the side of a AVGP, reload and shoot a few more times. Then watch a guy with a shovel kill the fox. I can attest the 9mm is not the best murder death kill firearm for dispatching small animals. It had multiple holes in it but still alive.
Not the best, but it’ll do bigger mammals than a raccoon. I also suspect the person firing from the AVGP had shittier ammunition for the purpose than the MPs use on duty.

9mm at least has the advantage of being somewhat less dangerous than, say, a C8 round of the MP were to miss and the round carries on.

Shooting dogs with 9mm is an awful exercise. It’s a mistake. Shotgun or any type of rifle is the right course of action.

Add to that the nerves of the MP using their pistol for the first time off the range. Not a recipe for a successful shoot.

Corral the animal until the backdrop allows and shoot it with something the right size to deal with it immediately.

The MP was not set up for success here by their supervisors if they sought out any feedback before shooting

I haven't had to do it since we carried .38 revolvers (yes, I'm that old) but with small animals I had much better luck with the shovel in the trunk of the cruiser. It looks somewhat less professional if the public is watching but did get the job done.

I haven't had to do it since we carried .38 revolvers (yes, I'm that old) but with small animals I had much better luck with the shovel in the trunk of the cruiser. It looks somewhat less professional if the public is watching but did get the job done.
I don't think there is really a good option for something like that in public; a shotgun seems like it'd be really messy and a shovel would probably take a few swings.

Seems like a lose lose either way, and plus you have to put down an animal which sucks. Someone has to do it I guess.

I don't think there is really a good option for something like that in public; a shotgun seems like it'd be really messy and a shovel would probably take a few swings.

Seems like a lose lose either way, and plus you have to put down an animal which sucks. Someone has to do it I guess.

Quick story. Out deer hunting with my 870, end of the morning watch. Walking out and I come across a bunny not far under a pine. I always carry shot with to take small if the opportunity rises.

Anyways, loaded shot. Fires and it didn't move but was squealing. Walked up to point blank and finished job. Turned out he was in my father in law's snare line.

To finish up 12ga didn't make too much of mess. But I was spitting pellets eating the stew.

Just out of curiosity, what type of protocols do MP's normal have to follow before engaging an animal on base?
If deemed a danger dispatch, if an injured animal contact F&W, obtain authority to euthanize, shotgun only. There’s a Gp Order on it

Back