• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Much appreciated, multi-topic advice...

Hey hey, no need to be like that.

As expressed, I am willing to do whatever it takes, be that upgrading, learning new sciences, heck even learning a new language if need be. I do understand the meaning of competition, I am simply hearing 2 different stories....the recruiters are telling me to upgrade all the way to math 12 plus sciences etc., and some people here are saying that its not necessary, hasn't been necessary for them. I'm just trying to clarify.

I think what CDN Aviator is hinting at is the need to be as competitive as possible in order to improve your chances. Yes, it IS possible to get the position with the requirements - but with so few spots and so many applicants the minimums are simply not good enough (or if they are, you become the exception rather then the norm). The hiring environment, from all that I have witnessed and seen, is much different then it was even 3 years ago. It is the one constant refrain I heard from every recruiter I spoke to: "There are very few spots, so do everything to can to prepare yourself. Many won't make the cut"

Never shoot for the minimums - assume that EVERYONE has the minimums, and you need to set yourself apart from that baseline. Should serve you well in the recruitment process and onward.

Again, my opinion.

bornsoldier said:
I'm just trying to clarify.

Upgrade. If anything it increases your chances of getting selected. If you dont, everyone who applies with more than you go in line in front of you. Education is never wasted anyways. If other people had an easier time getting in, well that was then. You can't count on it being like that for you.

bornsoldier said:
5. Any tips on increasing my running abilities? Bad knees and weak lungs have always been a struggle,  but I'm unwilling to let that stop me.

I apologize in advance for the reiteration of questions and thank everyone for their time and patience. This is really important to me...at this crux in my life, I know it is the right decision and want every possible chance to be accepted.

This is a great thread to find running tips on.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html

Jonathan

Thank you again for all the replies!
CDN aviator, I want to apologize if I may have come off wrong, and thank you for you knowledge and advice on the topic of applying. I wasn't aware that there had been major changes in the amount of applicants or minimum recs since a few years back.

I will be enrolling in math 11 and physics this term. If I was going to begin studying a second language, is there one in particular that would enhance my application?

bornsoldier said:
Thank you again for all the replies!
CDN aviator, I want to apologize if I may have come off wrong, and thank you for you knowledge and advice on the topic of applying. I wasn't aware that there had been major changes in the amount of applicants or minimum recs since a few years back.

I will be enrolling in math 11 and physics this term. If I was going to begin studying a second language, is there one in particular that would enhance my application?

I'm sure any second language skills will be beneficial. Pick one that interests you and it would be easier to learn. Maybe start with French since it's our official second language.

bornsoldier said:
If I was going to begin studying a second language, is there one in particular that would enhance my application?

Comes up English or French every time:
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+&btnG=Search#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site:army.ca+second+language&pbx=1&oq=site:army.ca+second+language&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2705l14536l0l14905l20l19l3l0l0l0l326l4183l0.3.10.4l17l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c78ca867d1e5a68a&biw=1360&bih=594

bornsoldier said:
Hey hey, no need to be like that.

I was going to point out that he's a man of few words, generally blunt, and frequently undiplomatic, but generally correct and accurate but I see that learning has already taken place.

I would wish you luck, but I believe that to be completely unnecessary. You should do well.

Yeah, I was thinking I should probably learn French. I can understand spoken French but my knowledge of speaking/writing stinks.

But I was wondering about learning a language applicable to our current engagaments as a country ie: Persian/dari/pashto (Afghanistan), Swahili, or even mandarin or Spanish...they're both more widely spoken than English, internationally.

I could be totally off, but to me if i hhad two guys applying with identical credentials, the one that spoke the rare language of a country we're involved with or one of the most common languages in the world would be a hands down choice.

bornsoldier said:
Yeah, I was thinking I should probably learn French. I can understand spoken French but my knowledge of speaking/writing stinks.

But I was wondering about learning a language applicable to our current engagaments as a country ie: Persian/dari/pashto (Afghanistan), Swahili, or even mandarin or Spanish...they're both more widely spoken than English, internationally.

I could be totally off, but to me if i hhad two guys applying with identical credentials, the one that spoke the rare language of a country we're involved with or one of the most common languages in the world would be a hands down choice.

"Foreign languages are not going to be very relevant.  Int Ops are not Translators.  Translators are hired to Translate.":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/87512/post-854398.html#msg854398 

Understood that is not the trade you are applying for, but it is likely relevant to the other trades.

mariomike said:
"Foreign languages are not going to be very relevant.  Int Ops are not Translators.  Translators are hired to Translate.":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/87512/post-854398.html#msg854398

From the same thread: "
Of course higher education make your candidature more attractive but potential and having the right mind for the job is more important.  So it is a competition, having the best file as possible is preferable.  Foreign language gives more points to the file.  Yes Int uses translators but having language skills is good and are used for other purposes."

Is Intel the same as comm rsch in terms of it's foreign language/translation protocol?

bornsoldier said:
From the same thread: "
Of course higher education make your candidature more attractive but potential and having the right mind for the job is more important.  So it is a competition, having the best file as possible is preferable.  Foreign language gives more points to the file.  Yes Int uses translators but having language skills is good and are used for other purposes."

Also from the same thread: "They must have a good understanding of military operations in the world, both in peace and war, and excellent written and oral communication skills in both official languages."
That is straight from the Qualification Requirements on the Fact Sheet:
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/intelligenceofficer-76#info-1

Ayrsayle said:
I think what CDN Aviator is hinting at is the need to be as competitive as possible in order to improve your chances.

I think CDN Aviator also makes a point, judging by the response, that you may have some sensitivity to sarcasm.  Better get that spot calloused up...

I am not attempting to get into intel, I am going for communicator research operator.

Quote from the video on forces.ca "foreign language skills are extremely valuable to a comm rsch op.  If you can speak, read, or write in any language other than french or English, or if you have a gift for languages and are eager it learn a new one, comm rsch op could be a great choice for you."

Quote from the comm rsch list of qualifications:  " Superior speaking and writing skills are also necessary, and highly developed computer abilities are an asset. English is the working language of the trade."

bornsoldier said:
Quote from the video on forces.ca "foreign language skills are extremely valuable to a comm rsch op.  If you can speak, read, or write in any language other than french or English, or if you have a gift for languages and are eager it learn a new one, comm rsch op could be a great choice for you."

Seen, thanks.  :)

Greymatters said:
I think CDN Aviator also makes a point, judging by the response, that you may have some sensitivity to sarcasm.  Better get that spot calloused up...

I am not the world's toughest person, but I am not sensitive to sarcasm. I am also not afraid to defend or clarify myself when necessary.

Languages are a good thing to have under your belt, but I would suggest starting with the one that is guaranteed to be of use: French.  Once you've completed that, you're welcome to learn any other language that interests you.  As far as picking languages based on current engagements...that's not terribly wise.

For starters, if you were to learn Pashtu or Farsi, you'd be pretty much useless.  As is, our "engagement" as Comm Rsch in Afghanistan is nearly over.  If you had started learning this language a couple years ago when it seemed relevant, you'd be disappointed to suddenly find out you just wasted your time.  Not to mention there are LCA's deployed within the sections that go out.  Knowing the language would be helpful, but hardly a requirement.

LoKe said:
Languages are a good thing to have under your belt, but I would suggest starting with the one that is guaranteed to be of use: French.  Once you've completed that, you're welcome to learn any other language that interests you.  As far as picking languages based on current engagements...that's not terribly wise.

For starters, if you were to learn Pashtu or Farsi, you'd be pretty much useless.  As is, our "engagement" as Comm Rsch in Afghanistan is nearly over.  If you had started learning this language a couple years ago when it seemed relevant, you'd be disappointed to suddenly find out you just wasted your time.  Not to mention there are LCA's deployed within the sections that go out.  Knowing the language would be helpful, but hardly a requirement.

Thank you for that advice, LoKe. I will look into finishing off the French education. With my existing knowledge, I should be able to pick it up to a decent level by the time I apply in March. Plus it will probably open up some dusty old neurological pathways for languages, which can't hurt.

As far as studying languages while in the CF, does it have to pertain to your occ? Is there even time to do something like that?

Back