• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Have Kit, Canadian Style

Meh, Go easy on McGowan...  He's still new. He will learn after enough FTX's that sometimes its not such a bad idea to go out and buy some non issue stuff. I mean im a REMF and I still went out and got some things... any fool can be uncomfortable....

I didnt start putting any sort of real money into non issue kit until about 4+ years in..

PhilB said:
Natoboy not to be an ******* but why do you need to change mags quietly?? If you have the need to change mags then generally you have just expended a mag??

Perhaps after an Aussie Peel-Back during a quiet halt, other than that...."pulls foot out of mouth"

Hey all,
Just wondering what your favorite after-market kit is. I searched through the board and didn't find quite what I was looking for. This is an anything goes thread: if you didn't get it issued, and you like (or hate) to use it, toss it in. Here's mine:

- Coleman Stove Model 440 (runs on white fuel, AKA naphtha (sp?), so I use it for free on ex)
- Nuke bag (got it at a surplus, it's not the issue bag, but it's nice for snivel kit. Just got an ALICE pack, I'll be trying that out instead)
- CPGear neoprene gloves (great for warmish wet weather)
- 64 pattern frame (with my 82 ruck and accessories attached, webbing belt as a waist belt)
- Jungle boots (haven't used them on ex yet, but they work great civvy side)
- Survival Knife (cheapie i picked up, partly for the LCF, partly cause it really does come in handy. Hollow handle for matches etc)
- Woodland Camo Poncho (WAY lighter and much more compact than the issue raincoat)
- CamelBak (nothing better than water-on-demand)

That's about it for now, but if I had my way (my way = $$$) the list would be full of names like Kifaru and Lightfighter.

So, let me (and all the other inexperienced-but-in-love-with-kit-folks) know what you carry, what works, what doesn't, and why.

Cheers,
Pinky

1.  MSR dromedary bag (i suppose camelbak bladder may work as well), with shower attachment.  I love the look on peoples faces when you walk by smelling like a Shoppers DM pedicure counter.

2.  Petzl Tactikka plus.  Best head lamp their is.

cheers

PV

At one time,not long ago on a base far,far away..
I used to consider myself a gear slut,but with all the new issued kit, alot of the stuff I had is now "put out to pasture".I still have some of my"greatest hits" stuff that will never die though.
1.Stealth suit
2.Camelbak
3.Leatherman charge
4.INOVA XO flashlight
5.fleece toque
6.Alpha liner
7.64 pat frame
8.CRKT M16-13 knife
I've got more kit than I know what to do with,but these items are my most "prized" possesions.I also didn't include my Danner Acadias in the list because they are my issued footwear,but they are the bee's knees of combat boots.100% better than the old Mk IIIs.

cheers

In two to three years, everything on all of the list here will be replaced with issued kit.  I have stopped buying most stuff, as I can see it coming in the "soon to someday" time frame.  Stealth suit will be replaced with wind/rain suit, ruck with small pack, Fleece toque with fleece head stuff, camelbak with separate unit or just the bladder in the radio pouch on small pack, big crazy kitchen knife with the new bayonet, and I guess the only thing left is the flashlight, that isn;t my side of the fence, so I got no idea.  I had the LCMM of flashlights ear at one time, but never brought in a Tactikka to show him.  And hell, the Mk 4's look comfy and the TCB's are comfy so I can;t justify getting Danners anymore.  And I just bought a pair of Bates M9 boots.

Bomber - you are the eternal optimist aren't you...  ;)

Even when I had my DPM Gortex I still liked a Stealth suit for other stuff.

Kevin's don't leave home w/o kit.

Stealth Suit
Smart Wool socks
Kifaru EMR - THE ruck
Paraclete RAV - for you might actually want to fight while wearing armour and a TV  ::)
Surefire Lights (many many many)
Garmin ETrex GPS
Personal Weapons doodahs - oh like a RAIL that works...
Grip Tape (My palms sweat when I'm scared and when I need a weapon I am usually scared)

Beard CHIT  ;D

Hmmm...for the winter: Good thermos, Hot Pawz, fleece toque and bag liner, fuzzy bunny slippers, decent book.
Summer...Gatorade mix, gun tape, jungle boots, blow up hunters seat, fuzzy bunny slippers.

cheerz,
Andrew

Good call on the grip tape though, I haven't much money so I'd like my LCF as cheap as possible.

No, not a bad idea at all, I keep dropping my coffee mug all over my laptop.  :warstory:  Damn I'm a geek.  In all seriousness though it is a good idea, I've found my VFG to me a little bit on the skinny side and I'm thinking some of that might be just what the doctor ordered.

Cheers;
Andrew

Back