• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must haves for tour of duty (new to forces)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real life bears little resemblance to TV or movies.

Stick with the boot bands. Your a long, long, long, long way from a tour.

roughneckrico said:
Awesome! Where can you buy this stuff.  ;D

Found mine at lapolicegear.com.  Lol
Got it when I bought a flashlight and some 'tactical balls' as a joke for my buddy who plays paintball.

Bacon was actually pretty good.  Haha

Jim Seggie said:
Two things:

Well trained and self disciplined.

Kit is only 50% of the battle.

Good attitude and being a good team member is important....more important than kit.

Be that guy.

I will take that to heart. Thanks.

roughneckrico said:
What items, other than what is currently being given as standard issue, are must buys for going on a tour of duty outside Canada (Afghanistan, Africa, Middle East)?

Is PEI going somewhere?

As a mounted officer, none on the list are must haves.  Good radio orders, staedtlers (in the system or your gunner will find you some), and a robust coffee cup.  A decent folding belt knife is a nice to have.

I love Zeke Anderson as much as the next man, but 'tour' will suffice. 

roughneckrico said:
Don't tempt me. lol

Well let me tempt you, judging by your username, roughneckrico, seems to be a play on Rico's Roughnecks from Starship Troopers. Bring a copy of Starship Troopers.  You can use it for a multitude of things from starting a reading group to helping start a fire, or emergency toliet paper.

My point being anything you bring can be diverted to satisfy a variety of needs

Add these

Snugpak Softie jacket
big 7"+ fixed blade knife
regimental flag
books
Garmin 401 Fortrex GPS

If you're issued a pistol, buy a few pistol mags. You'll loose a couple rounds but they'll work better.

All set.

trustnoone73 said:
Is PEI going somewhere?

As a mounted officer, none on the list are must haves.  Good radio orders, staedtlers (in the system or your gunner will find you some), and a robust coffee cup.  A decent folding belt knife is a nice to have.

I love Zeke Anderson as much as the next man, but 'tour' will suffice.

Oh zeke...Deployment perhaps would be more PC.  :camo:

SherH2A said:
Well let me tempt you, judging by your username, roughneckrico, seems to be a play on Rico's Roughnecks from Starship Troopers. Bring a copy of Starship Troopers.  You can use it for a multitude of things from starting a reading group to helping start a fire, or emergency toliet paper.

My point being anything you bring can be diverted to satisfy a variety of needs

I think that ST would go without saying, lol.

Just waiting for my deployment to an asteroid where I can blast some bugs.  ;D

ObedientiaZelum said:
Add these

Snugpak Softie jacket
big 7"+ fixed blade knife
regimental flag
books
Garmin 401 Fortrex GPS

If you're issued a pistol, buy a few pistol mags. You'll loose a couple rounds but they'll work better.

All set.

I'll have to wait and see what is issued, I may already have the mags (If its a M1911). Otherwise, a few books might be the priority.

roughneckrico said:
I may already have the mags (If its a M1911).

The CAF does not issue the M1911. The Browning Hi Power and Sig P225/226 are issued, and are 9mm.

Hoplite- said:
I like Petzl Tactikka Plus headlamps.

http://www.cpgear.com/store/flas/petzl_tactikka_plus_headlamp.htm

Just because I can't avoid a conversation about kit...

I have that headlamp but went out and bought a cheaper Petzl that I find works better for the army.

It has a filter, like you said, important for not having to switch through 3 white lights to get to your red.

But instead of brightness settings that you have to click your way through like the on the headlamp you posted, it has an "on/off" switch. Much more convenient for doing link-ups / light recognition. It was hard to find a Petzl that was that "simple," but its perfect.

roughneckrico said:
I'll have to wait and see what is issued, I may already have the mags (If its a M1911). Otherwise, a few books might be the priority.

Given you don't even know what we use for a service sidearm, it'll be a long time before you go anywhere. When you're ready to deploy, come back with some specifics about it and get some answers then.

There are lots of threads about different equipment here that you can read for turning yourself into a kit whore.

We're not going to waste bandwith on your hypothetical dreams.

---Staff---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back