• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MWO Mario Mercier R22e and MCpl Christian Duchesne 5 Fd Amb - 22 Aug 2007

This item is being re-opened with a Warning from Moderator:

Here is the official Press Release on todays tragic incident. As members serving in this Nation's uniform, it is our duty to respect the wishes of families of our fallen.

Please note that the part I have highlighted.

It is the policy of Milnet.ca to comply with official regulations regarding any incidents such as this. As such, we must all make sure to remember this when we post links to news articles etc that are "speculating" and end with statements like "this information has not been officially confirmed."

With the COs Press Conference on television this evening, and this Press Release later; the "speculation" became official. Please keep this in mind in the future; the CF has it's policy regarding the releasing of details due to NOK considerations.

The media does not, necessarily, have the same motivations.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2428

News Release
Two Canadian soldiers and Afghan Interpreter killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–07.034 - August 22, 2007

OTTAWA - Two Canadian soldiers, and one Afghan interpreter were killed at approximately 6:19 p.m. Kandahar time today when their Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV III) struck a suspected mine approximately 50 kms West of Kandahar City. One Canadian soldier and two Canadian journalists were also injured at the time of the explosion and have been evacuated by helicopter to the Multinational Hospital at Kandahar Airfield.

The incident occurred during Operation EAGLE EYE, a joint Afghan National Security Force (ANSF) and ISAF operation aimed at further stabilizing the District of Zharey. Members of the 3e Bataillon du Royal 22e Régiment and ANSF advanced to secure the western region of Zharey, where insurgents have been most active, to strengthen security conditions so that meetings can be held with local elders and authorities to support the delivery of reconstruction projects.

The names of the casualties are being withheld pending next of kin notification.

-30-

NOTE TO EDITORS/NEWS DIRECTORS:

The identities and home units of the fallen will only be released when next-of-kin notification is complete, and in accordance with the family’s wishes.  

:salute:

And let's not forget the translator.....

To family, friends and comrades in arms,
my condolences and best wishes

RIP

CHIMO!

I hate news like this, but it truly re-enforces the danger faced by our lads all the time while in country.

I know we always say our thoughts are with their families and friends back home, but firstly, mine are always with their fellow Mbrs on the ground, and the shock of the loss they too must endure.

During my tour, we all worked very close, and I got to know my men very well. Kids first names, favourite pizza, their wild stories. They were colourful blokes. You know, I worried about them more than I did myself, and I often wondered how I would deal with a loss of any of them if they were killed or horribly wounded.

My Roto was lucky, and any losses were either medical or admin. Even though we felt lucky for them to leave, we missed them, kept in contact with them even after they were back home, and we were still in hell's kitchen.

During those 7 months there, I had never felt a closer bond in my life.

I wish I could say there will be no more casualties, but its only mid August, and there is plenty of war to go around for years to come. Yesterday at 6 RAR, we were talking about the Canucks in the Ghan, and the casualties that have been endured.

For our tomorrows, these men are giving their todays. Please remember that.

Wes

tomahawk6 said:
And of course the journalist who was killed along with two others who were injured.

According to the news release, the two journalists survived.  Even so, I wish a speedy recovery to them and RIP to all three fallen souls.

I mourn the loss of more fallen as I finally welcome home my next door neighbor, and anxiously await the homecoming of our other family and friends overseas.

Its not the best way to start a Roto, that is for certain.

Sincerest conolences to the friends, family and regt of the fallen.

RIP  :cdn:

CAW

ArmyVern said:
This item is being re-opened with a Warning from Moderator:

Here is the official Press Release on todays tragic incident. As members serving in this Nation's uniform, it is our duty to respect the wishes of families of our fallen.

Please note that the part I have highlighted.

It is the policy of Milnet.ca to comply with official regulations regarding any incidents such as this. As such, we must all make sure to remember this when we post links to news articles etc that are "speculating" and end with statements like "this information has not been officially confirmed."

With the COs Press Conference on television this evening, and this Press Release later; the "speculation" became official. Please keep this in mind in the future; the CF has it's policy regarding the releasing of details due to NOK considerations.

The media does not, necessarily, have the same motivations.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2428

Well said Vern. Thanks.  :salute:

CBC Article

2 Canadian soldiers, interpreter killed in Afghanistan
Radio-Canada journalist suffers serious leg injury
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 | 9:27 PM ET
CBC News
Two Canadian soldiers and an Afghan interpreter were killed by a roadside bomb Wednesday in southern Afghanistan.

The incident also injured a third soldier and a Radio-Canada journalist.

"This is an extremely difficult situation, and particularly so for the families, friends and colleagues of these individuals," said Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche, the commander of the Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

"Obviously there is no way to comfort those who are mourning, if only to say those soldiers were committed and involved in a mission that they believed in," Laroche told reporters in Kandahar.

The soldiers, whose names have not been released, were from the famed Quebec-based Royal 22nd Regiment, known as the Van Doos. Their deaths bring the total number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan since 2002 to 69.

The Canadians killed and injured Wednesday were riding in a light-armoured vehicle about 50 kilometres west of Kandahar when they hit the roadside bomb, or improvised explosive device, Laroche said.

The bomb is believed to have been planted by insurgents who were retreating following an hour-long battle with Canadian soldiers.

"I want to say that the casualties today came about at the end of the operation that was carried out," Laroche said, noting that the mission was a success.

"In other words, we had reached the target, we had carried out the mission and in fact they were consolidating on the target and that's when the incident happened."

'We are always facing potential threats and risks'
Laroche acknowledged that such work is risky.

"It's no more dangerous today than it was yesterday, but once again we are always facing potential threats and risks," he said.

"We don't want these things to happen, but unfortunately it happened, so there's not much you can do about it," he added. "The only thing you have to do now is to carry on with the mission, and that's exactly what we are doing."

The Van Doos, who have been posted in Afghanistan for less than a month, are already coping with the loss of Pte. Simon Longtin, the first Van Doos soldier to die in Afghanistan.

Longtin, 23, was killed Sunday when the vehicle he was in hit a roadside bomb. His body arrived back in Canada from Afghanistan just hours before the latest deaths were announced on Wednesday.

"It's been a troubling day here, just a few weeks on the job and already this conflict is testing the Van Doos," the CBC's Brooks DeCillia said, reporting from Kandahar.

Two Radio-Canada journalists affected
Radio-Canada, meanwhile, confirmed that two of its journalists were involved in the attack.

Cameraman Charles Dubois, 29, suffered a serious leg injury and had to have surgery at a military hospital. His injury is not life-threatening.

He is the first Radio-Canada journalist to be injured in a war.

His colleague Patrice Roy, a 44-year-old reporter, was not hurt, but is in shock.

Both journalists volunteered to go to Afghanistan and were well-trained, said Radio-Canada, which is the French arm of the CBC.

Alain Saulnier, the general manager of information at Radio-Canada, said his thoughts and the thoughts of those at CBC and Radio-Canada are with the victims' families and loved ones.

"We were fully aware of the dangers involved in our Afghanistan coverage, but also of its critical importance for Canadians, and we are determined to continue it," he said in a written statement.

No other information has been released about the Afghan interpreter.

RIP soldiers.

And a speedy recovery to those that were hurt.

RIP.  My condolences to the Regimental Families, loved ones, friends and families of the fallen.

:cdnsalute: :cdnsalute:

Condolences to the families and friends of the fallen......a speedy recovery to the wounded.  :salute:

MND STATEMENT

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the Deaths of Two Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan
NR–07.077 - August 23, 2007

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, issued the following statement today on the deaths of two Canadian soldiers and an Afghan interpreter, and the wounding of one soldier and two members of the media:

“I am deeply saddened by the loss of two Canadian soldiers who died today in Afghanistan. I would like to extend my condolences to the families and loved ones of Master Corporal Christian Duchesne and of the remaining soldier, whose name is being temporarily withheld at the request of the family. My thoughts and prayers are with them during this time of great sorrow. I also wish a speedy recovery to the soldier injured in this incident.

These soldiers were participating in a joint operation to further stabilize an area west of Kandahar City with the aim to strengthen security conditions so that meetings can be held with local elders and authorities to facilitate reconstruction projects. These soldiers were helping to bring back hope to a population that has seen much hardship and turmoil. Their actions have brought hope to this oppressed people.

My sympathies also go to the two members of the media injured in today's attack, and to their families. Our condolences also go to the family of the Afghan interpreter who lost his life in the incident.

Let us never forget these brave soldiers, whose self-sacrifice served to make life better for others.”

-30-

Master Corporal Christian Duchesne was a member of 5e Ambulance de campagne, Royal 22e Régiment, based out of Valcartier, Quebec.

Michael O`Leary said:
Gentlemen, the point is they we do not allow posts identifying personnel, units, etc., without a public source link.  There are people on the forum that are in the know with these incidents, and we do not want to be the source of a premature leak before the official release.  Therefore, any such posts without a direct linked public source will be challenged and/or removed.

Milnet.ca Staff

First of all, my condolences to those who are suffering this loss.

WARNING RANT INBOUND

This information was initially released in spite of a comms lockdown and in MY OPINION radio Canada should, as a result be asked (read: told) to leave and never come back.

Can you imagine the feelings of every single family member sitting here in Canada? 

Neither one of these reporters were dead, and I'm sure that they (unlike the troops on this Op) were afforded the opportunity to contact their families as soon as humanly possible.  So with their families most likely in the know they felt they had the right to torture those families here at home with the "news" that 2 Vandoo's had been killed?  This is inexcusable irresponsible journalism, it shows a complete disregard for the troops on the ground, the families at home and the orders and directives of the Canadian Forces which these so called journalists were supposed to be operating under.

I certainly hope that Radio Canada pays for this "scoop"

Reccesoldier said:
This information was initially released in spite of a comms lockdown and in MY OPINION radio Canada should, as a result be asked (read: told) to leave and never come back.

Can you imagine the feelings of every single family member sitting here in Canada? 

Neither one of these reporters were dead, and I'm sure that they (unlike the troops on this Op) were afforded the opportunity to contact their families as soon as humanly possible.  So with their families most likely in the know they felt they had the right to torture those families here at home with the "news" that 2 Vandoo's had been killed?  This is inexcusable irresponsible journalism, it shows a complete disregard for the troops on the ground, the families at home and the orders and directives of the Canadian Forces which these so called journalists were supposed to be operating under.

I certainly hope that Radio Canada pays for this "scoop"

Or we can take direct action:

1. Publicly boycott CBC stations (we probably don't watch/listen anymore anyway). A letter to the local station outlining the above incident and perhaps a CC to the rival stations. Cut and paste from Reccesoldier's post, it has the right tone.

2. Make sure all your friends know and get them to join.

3. CBC TV has advertisers; let the sponsors know you no longer support CBC and why.

4. Write your MP using Reccesoldier's post.

Further eroding the audience and threatening the funding will probably have a much bigger impact than tossing these two ghouls.

Back