• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My CAF Armoured division app...

j0hn_r1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a few days, so here's my intro. "Hi..!" :D

Well, where to start... My name's John, if you couldn't guess. I spent 5yrs in Cadets ('88-'93), left as the CWO with my Gold-star and 2yrs as a CLI (Connaught, then G-town)...

I'm 34 y/o living in Alberta, moved here from N.S. 3-4 yrs ago. I work generally in the construction industry, either in a warehouse running Forklifts or as a Heavy Equipment operator running skid-steers & compactors.

Primary reasons for leaving N.S., 1) escaping the criminal life-style and associates I had 2) finding work, scratch that, finding a career...

Needless to say, I have a criminal record dating back to '98. My last conviction was '05, done with all legal-obligations Sep/07. Five convictions in total...

Before the nay-sayers start in with the song-n-dance, I took complete responsibility & payed my debt to society (yrs ago). I have changed my life, and want to persue the aspirations and dream I had when I was a Cadet. Serving my country.

I have started the App-process, filled out all my documents. I've already been asked to submit an electronic copy of my prints, which I gladly did the same day. The same day I started lurking here...

Although the telephone conversations with the CFRC Cpl I dealt with were not discouraging, the lack of feedback from the personal visit with a Sgt was (to drop off Transcripts and Fingerprint doc's)...

Since joining here, I've read a few of the threads on people leaving soon for BMQ and their respective "Swear-in" dates etc... This weakens my morale... Also, I've read alot of the threads about "Criminal Record checks" and "Pre-screening".

A few comments in particular mentioned about "full disclosure" concerning Criminal-records. Totally understandable, but what about the fact they give you about 2 sq/in to try and jam in EVERY aspect of your conviction(s) on the App-form..?

When I was going over my App with the Sgt, he noted the section wasn't filed out, but that I had checked the "yes-box" for criminal convictions. I stated I had more than 1 conviction, and asked "what should I do, there's not enough space?" . He simply replied to "use the space you have, don't worry about the rest" ...

My only concern is the whole "full-disclosure" thing. I dont want the person who decides whether or not I'm given an offer to think I'm witholding information because the slacker-Sgt didn't explain things to me properly. So I contacted them again, got the Cpl on the phone again, and explained everything just about the same as I have here. I made it clear I wanted to give them full-disclosure, but didn't have the space on the App...

I expressed an interest in obtaining my record personally and dropping it off, as a sign I wasn't witholding anything. She stated that would be acceptable, but that the purpose of me getting the Digital-prints done was for the same reason (to obtain my C/R from whoever) but would show initiative on my part. They take 7-10 days to get (personally), they mail them after the screening (you don't get a copy immediately)...

So thats where my App-process stands. Waiting for my criminal record, and/or the call to come in for the CFAT...

In closing, I'm not a bad-guy... I want to make myself into someone EVERY Canadian can be proud to be, with the help of the Canadian Armed Forces...

:salute:

I suggest an attitude adjustment may be in order.  Referring to the recruiting Sgt. as "slacker-Sgt." is hardly a winning one.  What are you going to think when "meany-Sgt." tells you that you've got carbon in your rifle barrel or your boots need to be shinier? 

Now that the obligatory "check your attitude, mister" slap down is out of the way, good on ya for trying.  You wouldn't be the first guy to get in with a colourful past, why I may even know a few myself.  The only advice I can really give you is don't hold anything back, and don't lie or embellish, just lay it all out.  On your form, you can write "see attached form" and write everything out if you feel you should.  Good luck, you just might need it, the army can afford to be a lot pickier these days, do your best to impress at the interview stage.

Just do what Kat says.

Unlocked for the OP's addition.
Milnet.ca Staff

So I got a text today from one of my references on my application.

He says he just got an Email this morning from CFRC regarding my application, complete with a list of questions.

I'm hoping this is a sign that they're proceeding with my application, I can't see why they'd contact him otherwise.

And it's getting to the time when the file manager I spoke with last said to call if I hadn't heard from them.

All this circumstantial "stuff" leads me to believe its going through... I'm heading downstairs to do some chin-ups/push-ups...

* Thanks to Mr. Wallace for allowing me to post in my thread again...

** Another one of my references called me. She had just gotten a call from the CFRC, and had a "productive" conversation. I think the balls rolling again...!

:camo:

We do a criminal record check mainly to see if you've fulfilled your commitment to the court. Obviously if you have a weapons prohibition that will affect your chances. We understand that crap happens and you can turn yourself around. Your process is going through. When you do your interview the MCC will ask you about it. Be honest!!! Nothing is done until the MCC says "sorry your not suitable"

Good luck

What's an MCC...? And do you work in/for the CFRC...?

I'm preparring for the interview shortly, going to search for (and print off) the FAQ's and interview outline tonite...

;)

j0hn_r1 said:
What's an MCC...? And do you work in/for the CFRC...?

I'm preparring for the interview shortly, going to search for (and print off) the FAQ's and interview outline tonite...

;)

"Military Career Counsellor" - and check his profile.

Thanks, I heard the term before just not in the acronym-form...

;)

Normal turn around for Digital finger prints is about 6 weeks. The calls your references are getting are from a contractor called BackCheck who assist the CFRC in compiling information on your reliability. The key is to be completely honest with the interviewer. Best of luck to you.

CFR FCS

Do you mean it takes 6 weeks after I submit my digital prints to the CFRC, until they hear back from CSIS...? It seems abit more than the 2 weeks the file manager said to give it (which was about a week after I dropped them off)...?

And yeah I know about BackCheck. One reference has moved since I applied, so he got an Email which was from BackCheck.

Thanks for your input CFR FCS.  :)

Back