• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My journey into the Canadian Forces

dannyboy41

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, minute poster, but I figure I would create a thread regarding my current application with the Forces.

A little about me: I am in a university transfer program at college, and will be attending year two of university in 2012. I do not have a plethora of leadership experience under my belt, but I am a keen learner and enjoy a good challenge when one approaches. My long term goals are to become an officer within the CF and maybe travel the world. :)

My interest with them started a few years ago after a friend of mine joined up. Believe it or not before that I had very little interest in the military as a whole. I even went so far as to think we barely needed one (how naive of me). Not too long after my friend joined I tried applying, but all the trades were full. So I waited. And applied again last year around April. This time trades were open but my file managed to get stuck in the reliability background check (at least that is what I was told. The main clerk at the local CFRC was on two week vacation. Go figure :p). So I waited yet again. That brings us to now. I have applied for ROTP (MPO, Armour O, Infantry O), and have my interview booked for November 17th (though I will have to call and reschedule as I now have a test that day and time).

In the event that I do not manage to achieve the ROTP offer, I have called the local reserves and have my name on a calling list for when the next basic training is. I will not be bitter if ROTP does not work out, for doing the reserves while in university would be a great experience, it gives me another year to get into great shape, and there is always the possibility of component transferring.

So that is pretty much it. I am just preparing for my interview. Not too sure what to expect, but it should be good. :camo:

Very good of you.  8)

Which reserve unit you thinking of joining if you dont get ROTP?

The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment in Peterborough, Ontario. The person I talked to on the phone seemed very approachable and answered all of my questions.

Slight change of plan regarding entry:

I have decided to pursue an NCM-SEP position instead of the ROTP. I will likely still attain a degree, for one can never have too much education. Hoping I get merit listed in time for numbers to be released. :)

I have mailed copies of my transcripts and birth certificate which are being sent off to Oshawa; now I'm just waiting for Oshawa to contact me to further my application.

Recruiting Center: CFRC Oshawa/Peterborough
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM-SEP
Trade Choice 1: ATIS Tech.
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: Cannot remember (It was months ago, and I do not have access to eRecruiting right now)
First Contact: N/A (Was 'contacted' online and have sent all of my core documents to CFNRC)
Aptitude: Complete (Officer qualified)
Medical:
Interview:
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

Update: The CFNRC sent my files to the local CFRC, and I got a phone call today to book my medical and interview. :camo:

Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: Cannot remember (It was months ago, and I do not have access to eRecruiting right now)
First Contact: N/A (Was 'contacted' online and have sent all of my core documents to CFNRC)
Medical: Booked 15 March 2012
Interview: Booked 15 March 2012
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

Update:

I did my interview today with an awesome Captain at CFRC Oshawa. He told me that, compared to other applicants, I probably would not be considered competitive enough to make it into the NCM-SEP program. I went to a presentation tonight for the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, and I will be applying to the reserves in hopes for getting onto the next course starting in October-ish (the presenter said the date for the course was tentative).

Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Medical: Completed 15 March 2012
Interview: Completed 15 March 2012
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

dannyboy41 said:
Update:

I did my interview today with an awesome Captain at CFRC Oshawa. He told me that, compared to other applicants, I probably would not be considered competitive enough to make it into the NCM-SEP program. I went to a presentation tonight for the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, and I will be applying to the reserves in hopes for getting onto the next course starting in October-ish (the presenter said the date for the course was tentative).

Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Medical: Completed 15 March 2012
Interview: Completed 15 March 2012
Merit Listed:
Position Offered:
Enrollment date:
Basic Training Begins:

So you are cancelling your application to the Regs and going to Res instead?

mmmjon said:
So you are cancelling your application to the Regs and going to Res instead?

I may have to. Although I do not like the idea of cancelling it, the reserves would be an excellent opportunity to continue upgrading my education while getting some related experience. :salute:

Edit: Also, the reserves would allow me to get a degree while working at the same time. Seems like a decent idea.

Back