• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Running Story

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Well, first off, this isn't really a serious topic, just an experience i had today. Amidst the seriousness of many forum topics here, i figured a light hearted recap couldn't hurt.

So basically, I've been sick for a while. My whole family has been, chest infection, and all that goes with it. Nothing too harsh, just enough to make a person miserable for a few days. I'm peaking, and figured why not do something challenging (and now in hind sight, rather stupid) and go for a good run, get my system pumping and maybe make me feel a bit better. Suffice to say, it didn't work... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've attached an image of the route i ran (marked in red), and anyone who resides in Toronto is likely to recognize the area fairly quickly. The overall route is about 6-7kms on average (I measured with my car about a year ago). The thick red dash is the 2.4km mark, for Express test reasons I made note.

I began my run at the yellow/blue mark at Proctor and Henderson area, East to Bayview, South on Bayview to Steele's, and then West on Steele's, etc to complete a big loop.

SO, the ran started off well. Wasn't too winded, although i was reconsidering taking that big 600ml of milk and 72g of Protein for breakfast, as i was starting to burp and taste it. I hit the bayview and Steele's intersection, and low and behold, a TTC bus was unloading and a group of beautiful female specimens happen to step off. Naturally, I sped up, strained my face and looked as hard core as i could as i passed, left them all in awe of my particularly superior physical condition, and continued.

NOW comes the real challenge. Up until now, for the most part, it is hilly, lots of up and downs, but nothing serious. Steels Avenue between Bayview and Yonge is nothing short if a b*tch to run, as it is straight uphill for a fair distance. Not only is it demoralizing to look up, and see the challenge that besets you, but you're legs are burning up a storm before you've even put 100m behind you. This hill and I, have a love/hate relationship at best.

Half way up, is the 2.4 km mark. I reached it, checked my watch and to my dismay, was at 9:56min when I hit the intersection. i was pumped, and continued up the hill. NOW is where, I started to seriously reconsider drinking so much in the mornings to come. Sure enough, a pleasant looking bunch waiting at the bus stop had the distinct pleasure of observing me run my guts off in the final stretch of the hill, reach the top, and then project more milk and protein than i remember putting away. It was absolutely disgusting, this greyish brown tinged milk, curdled and holding nothing back. I finished, wiped my mouth, and continued on the run. I know i know, i have no shame..  ;)

Second wind kicks in, and I'm heading on the home stretch down Doncaster. I'm feeling like utter sh*t now, not just my stomach, but i feel like I'm breathing Razor Blades. The weather network says its -5, and with windchill, feels like -12. Not much, but with a chest infection, it does hell and fury on ones cardiovascular system.

I finish, panting, puffing, light headed and nauseous as a person can get. i would have been puking, if i hadn't already emptied the tank at Steele's and Yonge.

On my return indoors, I sat down, and tried to balance out whether the feeling of accomplishment outweighed the fact that i felt so horrible, and likely made myself more sick. It was an inconclusive matter, ask me tomorrow...  :D

Attached below is the image. I'm going to make another container of protein, and I'm p*ssed that i have to. That stuffs expensive, not to mention hard on the Milk supply  :mad:

Run.jpg

That is very well written and quite hilarious actually! Nothing like literally running your guts out!

Sounds like I've got the same bug...
Just like you I have some kind of freaking cold that I can't seem to get rid of.
I was on the treadmill the other day doing intervals and I came this -><- close to tossing my cookies... I went running to the closest garbage bin in a panic but luckily managed to keep it down.  :-X

Too close for comfort though... ;D

Kinda reminds me of the feeling I had when I decided I could run a couple of km really fast on the mill set at the highest grade it goes. . .

'cept I didn't puke.  ;D

The only time I came close to projecting anything was on a cold november run, doing 5k at a good pace, first time doing hills in pet, only for some reason it was going to come out the other way. My bowels were giving in for some reason. I almost litteraly crapped my pants.

So let me get this straight.  You get a chest infection and decide to jog it out in below freezing temperatures?  :cheers:

The Gues-|- said:
So let me get this straight.  You get a chest infection and decide to jog it out in below freezing temperatures?   :cheers:

Hey now, I acknowledged that it was a stupid move  :D

Yeah, I'm sure after seeing him puke from running they definitely thought he was HARDCORE.

You're HARDCORE Shortbus.

;D

J. Gayson said:
Yeah, I'm sure after seeing him puke from running they definitely thought he was HARDCORE.

You're HARDCORE Shortbus.

;D

Nah, I stand a better chance of them getting a quick glance of me and moving on, than them actually getting a good look at me. With that in mind, maybe i should run at night? Light isnt my friend..

;)

No Gayson, not quite as hardcore as you.. but im workin on it.  :D

Sh0rtbUs said:
i figured a light hearted recap couldn't hurt.

And you were right, I had a great laugh while reading this. Thank you and for toughing it out

:salute:

potato

Shortbus,

you should share your awesome story with the guys on the QYRANG forum. ;D

LoL... I can soooooo relate.  I went out with a head cold last week with -15 windchill.  I had snot frozen to my face, my hair over my ears was frozen with sweat to my iPod headphones and my hair at the nape of my neck was frozen to the collar of my running jacket.  It was all very attractive!  it took me atleast 3-5 minutes to thaw the chunks of ice in my hair so that I could remove my touque. 

But I still felt better after my run!

Back