• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Story...Just the begining.

Soldiergirl

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been on this site for a while now. I think it's time to tell my story.

My name is Cindy. I am a 30 year old mother of two. I just recently put in my application to join the CF. After many years of thinking about it I finally took the plunge. So as of November 27 of 2007 I've been an official applicant.

For ten years I've been the soldier's wife and a mom. At seventeen I became pregnant with my first son. Got married at nineteen and my husband join the army shortly after. My second son comes along by the time I turn 21. When my kids started school, I also went back to get my GED. After working many many minimum wage job and dealing with I think the most difficult part of being a military wife...Afghanistan!! But we survived it. And it made a stronger woman, wife, and mother. I for the first time in a long time finally know what I want to do.

I applied on line. The next day they call to set up an appointment for the CFAT. Went in to do it for the first time and failed. :-[ So I studied my math and booked an other appointment for a retest. That was done this Monday. I passed and qualify for all my trades!!!! Medical is also done and passed. All I'm waiting for now is the interview.

I'm sorry if this is longwinded and jumbled up. Thanks for your time and all the info you provide!!!

Here's to the future...
Cindy

Sounds like you're on the right track! Props to deciding on a hard working, but very rewarding career. What are you trade choices?

Good luck, Cindy.  Hope all goes well for you.  I, for one, believe it's a decision you'll be happy you made.  Keep us posted!

Congrats Cindy!!

I wish you the best of luck and I am sure you will love it!

Congrats again!

Pte.Butt said:
Sounds like you're on the right track! Props to deciding on a hard working, but very rewarding career. What are you trade choices?

My trade choices are

1. Supply Tech
2. RMS Clerk
3. Postal

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support!!!

Congrats Cindy, I handed in my application today. So cheers to your decision, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Cheers,

Congratulations! It just goes to show that perseverance can pay off! I have recently applied as well on the officer street, and so I know how it feels to be going through everything. Best of luck to you!

Good for you Cindy,

Time to start working on some basic PT so you can have a good start on your Basic..
Pushups, Situps and some running will make the transition easier for you once you get the call.

Good luck!

Thought I'd give an update..

Have my interview on Tuesday of next week. I'm excited about it but also kinda scared. This person is going to tell me if its a go or not right? Not going to worry about to much though. Just be myself and relax is what my husband says. So that's what I'll do.

Oh and I found out today that everything is good with my medical. It's a go as they say!!!

OK there it is...until next time!!!

Don't worry about the interview. As long as you're honest, you'll do fine.

I'm so happy for you!!!

I just had my interview yesterday and it's a breeze if you're honest. I'd also look into the specs of your first choice trade and have an idea of what kind of training to expect.

Good luck next week

~Cat

UPDATE--

Well I had my interview yesterday. I thought it went very well but was cut short. They told me that I was short a grade 10 credit. I didn't know this, or I would have dealt with it sooner. Kinda bummed that it came only at my interview, but what to do? Live and Learn right!!

So I'm off to hunt down a high school credit!!!

Which course is it in?  Maybe you can do it on your own through an adult high school program.  I did my Grade 11 advanced Biology that way.  Either way, it may take a few months to do it but let the recruiting centre know.  This way, they keep your file open and it shows you have the desire to improve yourself.

Here's some links that may be useful:

http://www.gnb.ca/0381/downloads/AHSDBrochure.pdf  PDF file for High School Diploma application

http://www.gnb.ca/0000/as/dl-e.asp Distance learning, N.B. Dept of Education

Soldier Girl,
Also check out the GED which is equivalent of a high school diploma. It will cost you a few $'s but is quicker and can be done by home study. Check out GEd prep course at NBCC in Fred twon http://www.nbcc.ca/night.asp?course=30&mid=1
There is also a GED prep on line at the Oromocto Acccess centre (Old town hall) It's probably free. http://www.cnbb.nb.ca/english2/education/training.html#ged

Good Luck

@Soldier Girl...Like you, I'm a bit more mature (36) and a mom, and I am considering the same trades (RMS Clk, Supp Tech). I was originally looking into Logistics, but have changed my mind after much deliberation. My question to you is...are you going reserve or reg force? I read somewhere on this site that it is a good idea to go reg force and then if you want/need to, you can transfer to the reserve later. (I'll see if I can find the exact quote and post it here.) Personally, I am interested in reg force. My boyfriend has concerns about me being posted away and thinks I should consider applying to the reserve first, then switching later to reg if I decide I still want that. I'm a bit torn.

I found the quote...it comes from CFR FCS (hope you don't mind me reposting what you have written!):

Reg F you get your BMQ and DP1 right away and if you have to wait for courses you will likely get OJT in your home location.  If you are at a major base then your employment will be varied and you can move between units easily therefore you ability to remain in that area is much better.. 

Reserves  You have to wait for a BMQ position as you have already noted You are also in competition with the other clerks for the elusive DP1 course. You will likely not get any class B until you are qualified, most of the P res job notices require DP1 minimum. 

You can always OT to the reserves once you get through your training and likely be accelerated to Cpl in the reserves.

I'm sure there are more knowledge people, including RMS, both reg and Res out their to share info. They should be able to confirm if the RMS training at CFSAL is the same for Reg and PRes.

Celticgirl said:
@Soldier Girl...Like you, I'm a bit more mature (36) and a mom, and I am considering the same trades (RMS Clk, Supp Tech). I was originally looking into Logistics, but have changed my mind after much deliberation. My question to you is...are you going reserve or reg force? I read somewhere on this site that it is a good idea to go reg force and then if you want/need to, you can transfer to the reserve later. (I'll see if I can find the exact quote and post it here.) Personally, I am interested in reg force. My boyfriend has concerns about me being posted away and thinks I should consider applying to the reserve first, then switching later to reg if I decide I still want that. I'm a bit torn.

Thanks for posting that...I am going Reg force. I also did the back and forth between to two. But in the end I think I made the right decision. My husband is army. And the being separated is one of the things that I was afraid of. But in the end I thinks things will work itself out.

My bf is in the air force (Log O) and after 20 years of postings (and probably one more to do after his current 'new' posting), he's getting tired of moving around. I certainly can't blame him. However, it's nice to know that if I go reg now, the option to switch over later is there. It's always nice to have options.  :)

Just got a message from my bf and he agrees with my decision to go reg force now (I sent him the same quote above along with another one via email to see what he thinks, since he's the experienced one). Perhaps we will do BMQ together, Soldier Girl. Feel free to PM me anytime.  :)  :cdn:

Celticgirl said:
@Soldier Girl...Like you, I'm a bit more mature (36) and a mom, and I am considering the same trades (RMS Clk, Supp Tech). I was originally looking into Logistics, but have changed my mind after much deliberation.

Just to clarify, when you said Logistics, did you mean Logistics Officer? Because both RMS Clerk and Supply Tech fall under the Logistics Branch

Back