• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National" Borders- Trouble at The Cornwall Crossing

Everyone's a tough guy on the internet ::)

No one quit. No one ran away. No one is hiding. Let's not talk about 'they chose the job' unless you know the exact terms of reference for said particular job. Like ZC said, they took the mandated action when confronted with unsafe working conditions.

No different than working with chemicals. If you don't have the proper PPE, you clear the area until it's safe to return. It has nothing to do with intestinal fortitude and everything to do with common sense and the Canada Labour Code.

And I chose to quit smoking rather than pay the taxes or criminals. No one forced me. No one can force you to do anything, you always have a choice.

You mean someone who wants to earn their wages? CF members don't have the option to walk off the job when the going gets rough, neither should they (armed or unarmed, they chose the job). I hate the term scab, I could give the names I have for 'strikers'...but they aren't good for polite company. There's lots of talk among union employees about what they're entitled to...but often little about what their responsibilities are. Striking is the organised and legitimized form of a child's temper tantrum. I kind of expected better from you Bruce...
Actually Piper exactly what I/we expected from you.... ::)

The CBSA officer's were ordered off by management at 23:45 hrs, because the "peace loving" Mohawks said they would raid the port and force an armed confrontation. So the managers did the nest thing they could do and what is expected of them.

Holy crap!

For those that don't know me, I was born in Saskatoon and lived in Canada for the first 35 years of my life. So, I'll say my 2 cents worth on this subject, seeing things from outside the border.

I think its absolutly pathetic how a group of thugs can dictate through direct intimidation to a soverign nation (Canada), how to run it's international borders.

What a joke! They've won!

Abandon posts? The last time I observed this, I was in Baghdad, it was 2007, as New Iraqi Army were leaving their posts because it was dark and cold, letting insurgents run rampant unopposed to lay IEDs and prepare ambushes.

What message/example is Canada sending internationally?

Time to wake up Canada!

Shakes head in disbelief,

OWDU

Minister Van Loan's position (CBSA people in the Cornwall area will be armed) is good and it can be sustained through one simple act: move the border post off Cornwall Island to Cornwall, proper. It would be a tight squeeze to get it next to what looks like a water/sewage treatment plant - but not impossible, I hope. It might be done in weeks, maybe months.

The end effect will be about the same for most Canadians; people living on Cornwall island will be inconvenienced every time they need to come to the mainland to visit the doctor, play hockey, go to a movie, buy groceries etc, etc, etc ad infinitum. The people on Cornwall island might - probably will - want to set up their own border post. That will inconvenience all people travelling between Canada and the USA. If the inconvenience is minor then here will be no great reduction in traffic. If the inconvenience and/or cost is anything above minor then traffic will diminish until an acceptable equilibrium is established.

(The people on Cornwall island may want to set up a duty free shop. No problem because, with the aid of good, tower mounted, high resolution cameras, CBSA can see every person coming out of the store and every car coming out of the duty free shop's lot and can stop those people and collect Canadian taxes and duties.)

I regard this as a win/win. The Akwesasne Mohawks achieve greater sovereignty; Canada defuses a potentially inflammatory situation; the border crossing remains open.

But what you propose effectively slides Canadas national border back a notch and allows a rogue state to be created.  I won't get into a pedantic slippery slope argument since I don't think this will ever happen.
And I have not heard a good reason for placating them.  Why do ANYTHING to avoid a confrontation with armed insurgents?  Take the fight to them.  These ass hats are no better than Kim Jong Il threatening the world. 
Did they get jerked over years ago?  Certainly.  Does that mean they are entitled to a free ticket to be useless skin bags and criminals as they so choose?  Hell no.
I have met a great many natives who are hard working, decent people who just want to raise a family and have a decent life.  Without exception, they have all indicated that the reservation system and all the flaws that come with it do nothing to help natives (although they are pretty okay with the no-tax thing  ;) I would be too!)
This countries policy towards natives is a pathetic joke.  And in the best case scenario, it just enables thousands of people to not be accountable for their actions and sets the stage for countless generations of noncontributing burdens and misery for the kids they produce.

Piper said:
You mean someone who wants to earn their wages? CF members don't have the option to walk off the job when the going gets rough, neither should they (armed or unarmed, they chose the job). I hate the term scab, I could give the names I have for 'strikers'...but they aren't good for polite company. There's lots of talk among union employees about what they're entitled to...but often little about what their responsibilities are. Striking is the organised and legitimized form of a child's temper tantrum. I kind of expected better from you Bruce...

Piper, keep taking that raise you get every year because OTHERS are willing to go without pay if negotiations for that raise do not go well.........I guess ya prefer not to think about that.

I hope I'm still alive 25 years from now when you actually grow up,and maybe get a real job with an employer who only puts in safety measures when ordered to, and then you'll need to delete your profile for the 9th time because you don't want others reading how stupid you sounded back then....................hmm, 1/3 of the way there already.

Keep chuggin.....

I agree with ZC's position on this. Cornwall Island is Canadian territory and to move the post is to surrender it to a third party. This also would recognize the legitimacy of their claim, which would set a precedent that could have the potential to do real harm.

This morning the mayor of Cornwall was interviewed on CFRA Ottawa. He confirmed that Cornwall council had passed a resolution supporting the Mohawk position and that it was hoped the CBSA would agree not to arm its officers at the customs post. It should be noted that whatever happens as far as Cornwall is concerned, the problem will not go away nor can the city be picked up and moved. The closure of the crossing is having a negative economic and social effect both on the reserve and on the city itself.

In the big picture, stoppage of traffic at Cornwall will be more in the nature of an irritant than a serious impediment to cross-border movement. Given that Highway 416 leads directly to the bridge at Prescott, traffic to and from the national capital area can be routed over it. At the same time the crossings south of Montreal are not too far out of a direct route, especially as the Cornwall crossing is at least an hour's drive from the interstate system.

Old Sweat said:
In the big picture, stoppage of traffic at Cornwall will be more in the nature of an irritant than a serious impediment to cross-border movement. Given that Highway 416 leads directly to the bridge at Prescott, traffic to and from the national capital area can be routed over it. At the same time the crossings south of Montreal are not too far out of a direct route, especially as the Cornwall crossing is at least an hour's drive from the interstate system.

CBSA's traffic diversion notice
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/eo-ou/109151T112447-eng.html

Map of alternate crossing sites
http://www.quikmaps.com/show/105330

WR said:
The CBSA officer's were ordered off by management at 23:45 hrs, because the "peace loving" Mohawks said they would raid the port and force an armed confrontation. So the managers did the nest thing they could do and what is expected of them.

What CBSA said:
"As a result of a risk to the health and safety of the travelling public and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) employees, the CBSA closed the Cornwall (Ontario) Port of Entry Office located on Cornwall Island as of 11:45 p.m. on May 31...."

Makes Piper's rant even sound stupider doesn't it?

I guess he would have "earned his wages" and stayed......................

There's an on line petition supporting the "No Guns for CBSA At Akwesasne" stand at: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/NoGunsForCBSA/index.html

Most of the comments are similarly worded regarding concerns for safety, Mohawk sovereignty, etc.

.... and then, from signatory number 28, there's this one:

"FOR ALL YOU INFERIOR WHITE PEOPLE TRYING TO RAIN ON OUR PARADE, SHUT YOUR STUPID FUKIN MOUTHS BEFORE I PUT A BULLET IN EVERYONE OF THEM....TIM, WHITE BROAD, ...... IF THEY WONNA ARM UP AND START A FUKIN WAR LETS DO IT. WE GOT GUNS TOO"

If the MCA wants to be taken seriously by the Federal government and CBSA they have to absoultely and completely distance themselves from the likes of this "speaker" and his Warrior Society brethren.

The petition is a sham. It's being edited. Any comments for Canadian law, government and CBSA are being deleted. Less than 400 votes total for such an 'inflammatory' issue ::)? I picture one beat up 486 computer in a community centre, with a bunch of, ahem, people hammering away on the coffee and cig stained keyboard.

I also find it ironic that one of the advertisement banners at the top is for Front Site Firearms Training Center ;D

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Piper, keep taking that raise you get every year because OTHERS are willing to go without pay if negotiations for that raise do not go well.........I guess ya prefer not to think about that.

I hope I'm still alive 25 years from now when you actually grow up,and maybe get a real job with an employer who only puts in safety measures when ordered to, and then you'll need to delete your profile for the 9th time because you don't want others reading how stupid you sounded back then....................hmm, 1/3 of the way there already.

Keep chuggin.....

Spoken like a true union flunky. Personal insults and a sob story from directing staff no less.

DS,
Before this get out of control and violates the ROE.
I might suggest a lock or VW for some members.

2 Cdo said:
Spoken like a true union flunky. Personal insults and a sob story from directing staff no less.

Me, a Union flunky??  How many of my compatriots would laugh at that comment.

Here is an email I sent to the members of OPSEU when our leaders put it out that they wanted OPSEU members to support the "coalition".

All,
Today, I received my email that OPSEU Communications forwarded from the Labour Council.

I realize that OPSEU politics differ greatly from my own and I live with that as I know that if it meant enough to me I would get involved and I don't.
This is because the Union means more to me than petty politics..............however let it be said here and now that if OPSEU puts it's public support behind any coalition that includes the Bloq Quebecois than I will do anything I can [television, call in shows, etc] to bring disgrace to the Corporate OPSEU.

I hardly think I am the only one that thinks this way and do we really need to divide ourselves at this point in very hard negotiations?

I implore all to think long and hard about putting ourselves in a situation that will severly divide us and possibly, backfire into our own leader's faces.

Thank you for your time,
Bruce Monkhouse
VP Local 229

Forgot the nice title I gave it also...."OPSEU SUPPORTING TRAITORS?".

Old Sweat said:
This morning the mayor of Cornwall was interviewed on CFRA Ottawa. He confirmed that Cornwall council had passed a resolution supporting the Mohawk position and that it was hoped the CBSA would agree not to arm its officers at the customs post. It should be noted that whatever happens as far as Cornwall is concerned, the problem will not go away nor can the city be picked up and moved. The closure of the crossing is having a negative economic and social effect both on the reserve and on the city itself.

Ah, but in for a penny, in for a pound.  Cornwall city council has sided with traitors, thugs and gun runners.  That city should starve and wither until the people take action and eliminate the fools that they misguidedly elected.  And if the people support their elected officials, then that city is a write-off. 

I think a nice 33 CBG engineer task would be to do a detonation of the Cornwall bridge after the alternate route is sufficiently brought up to speed.  Then the "peaceful warriors" can have their little private paradise just like they want.  Win/win. 

Now that Cornwall council has caved, I wonder how long it will be before the domestic terrorists claim that town too, a la Caledonia.

Thanks to most for your support of CBSA.

It was a decision made at the top, noone "abandoned" their post... by the sounds of some people on here, I wonder how they survive in / survived the military running around disobeying orders from brass, and staying in a fight when they are overwhelmed in firepower, manpower, and tactically hopeless... AND there is an alternative that allows for personnel to come out safe, security is not compromised, and you can regroup and come back with the proper resources.

Back