• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National identity, how do you identify?

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
A question of personal curiosity here...

How do you identify? Are you a Canadian first? Or a British Columbian, a Saskatchewinan, a Caper, Ontarian, or a Newfie?

a Sig Op said:
A question of personal curiosity here...

How do you identify? Are you a Canadian first? Or a British Columbian, a Saskatchewinan, a Caper, Ontarian, or a Newfie?

Currently I identify as a Canadian. However, that is because I'm currently living in the US. However my personalized license plates show HFX NS.

When I was living in Canada, I identified as Nova Scotian.

One somewhat interesting situation arises though. Living in Northern Virginia, it is commonly abbreviated NoVA.

I would probably say I identify as a Nova Scotian. But like cupper said if I lived abroad I'd identify as Canadian.

If talking to someone abroad, I'm a Canadian.  If talking to another Canadian, I'm from Ottawa, despite being born in BC.

To non-Canadians, I'm Canadian.

To Canadians, I'm an Ontarian.

To Ontarians, I'm a Wellander.

'Nuff said.

I identify myself as a Canadian.  Easily done when I lived and have visited abroad--But even in Canada, unless someone asked me specifically where I'm from or currently live (of course I answer their question appropriately), I personally don't feel I have any loyalty or sentiment to any particular area--not even my birthplace.

I believe this is because I was never situated in any particular place for very long--Sometimes multiple locations within the same area; but more often than not, completely different cities (and occasionally, provinces).

I will throw this gem on the table - "not sure". Why?  Born and raised on the Rock which begrudgingly joined Confederation in 49. Would likely have been born American had that option been left on the referendum ballot.

Pot stirred......

Never had an issue being "Canadian", but always "From Newfoundland, which is a province of Canada" when outside Canada...

I identify myself as a Canadian to anyone outside of Canada, but to fellow Canadians I just say I'm from BC, it's to much of a hassle and it sounds weird to say "British Columbian". How come Newfoundlandians get a shortened nickname?  :p

VancouverIslandHunter said:
I identify myself as a Canadian to anyone outside of Canada, but to fellow Canadians I just say I'm from BC, it's to much of a hassle and it sounds weird to say "British Columbian". How come Newfoundlandians get a shortened nickname?  :p

You mean you've never heard of Big Complainers?  ;D

I always identify as a Calgarian/Albertan. I've only had to explain to a handful of foreigners where those are, one of which was a Queen's Royal Lancer that exclaimed: "But you don't sound Scottish." (He had forgotten about the big arse city located 3hrs north of BATUS).

Even when living in Vancouver for so many years, I just took too much pride and loyalty to my roots and identified as a Calgarian.

Canadian, Acadian, Maritimer, Irish, Native, Army Wife, etc.,

I'm not picky. Always a Canadian first though, anywhere West of NB gets confused about the Maritimer bit,  ;)

Well, being born in England, raised on the west coast, and living in Alberta for the last 17 years, I just say "it's complicated".

Canadian.  If anyone asks where...I say the small town of Bradford...just north of Toronto.  That tells any Canadian that I live in Ontario...and non-Canadians recognize the city of Toronto more than they recognize the province of Ontario.  I never think of myself as an Ontarian(?) maybe because I was born in Quebec, but I certainly don't think of myself as a Quebecer either.  Canadian works just fine for me and I think I'd feel quite comfortable calling any part of this country home.

Born in England and I have dual citizenship.  I am a Canadian first, then a Montrealer or Montrealais, then a Quebecker (not Quebecois).  I never self-identify as a Brit.

Canadian when overseas (correcting a lot of Europeans who seem to use "American" to mean "North American" - nothing wrong with the neighbours to the south, but we aren't the same country), Northern Ontarian when in Canada, "central Canadian, north of Duluth (or Minneapolis), Minnesota" when in the U.S.

PrairieThunder said:
I always identify as a Calgarian/Albertan. I've only had to explain to a handful of foreigners where those are, one of which was a Queen's Royal Lancer that exclaimed: "But you don't sound Scottish." (He had forgotten about the big arse city located 3hrs north of BATUS).
Hrrmm...first time I've heard of Czar being referred to as "the big arse city".  Last time I looked, Calgary was generally NW from Suffield.  Albertan indeed!  ;)

I'm just down to generalities.  When outside Canada I just say Canada, Western Canada if pressed.  Inside Canada, I just say it's complicated but I'm living "here" now.  If someone wants more detail, I just say where I grew up but add that I've been gone for 27 years and haven't been anywhere long enough since to put down enough roots to adopt that as my "home"...  As I get closer to retirement, this is starting to cause some angst.  :dunno:

garb811 said:
Hrrmm...first time I've heard of Czar being referred to as "the big arse city".  Last time I looked, Calgary was generally NW from Suffield.  Albertan indeed!  ;)

:rofl:

Canadian to all the Europeans here
Canuck to the Yanks I work with (cept one, older lady, who shortened that to Nucky)
Osama's /Mullah Omars Brother/Talib/Al Quaida to the Afghans I work with. (it's my beard you see.)

From the Centre of the Universe when I am talking to other Canadians. 

VancouverIslandHunter said:

Probably part of our terms of confederation...

As an aside, I spent time in the Basque region of Spain (who have their own separatist issues) in the mid 1980s. The Basque loved me as a Newf, but not as a Canadian. The Basque have a huge history with Newfoundland, but do not like Canadians who make the laws and arrest the fishing ships. So when in the Basque region I was 100% Newf!  That was probably the only time I played the Newf card and shied away from the national card.

Back