• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Native protesters

gnplummer421

Inactive
Reaction score
Was just reading a story on yahoo with reference to the OPP chief stating that it is beyond their scope, will the military step in?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20061030/ca_pr_on_na/native_occupation

I wondered if perhaps military intervention is appropriate here. I think back on Oka, and I have to assume we learned from that and have improved our training for this type of situation, thoughts?

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

All that is needed is a provincial government with a spine and some OPP ERT.

Brad Sallows said:
All that is needed is a provincial government with a spine and some OPP ERT.

+1, the OPP and the Provincial government is just afraid of another Ipperwash

Infidel-6 said:
I can solve it  ;)
Infidel-6: form your "Infidelians" and GO!  ;)

(Said in the same manner as on that old Thunderbirds TV show in "Marionation":  "Thunderbirds are GO!")
;D

cdnaviator said:
....so we get to replay Oka ?

If the province decides they "can't handle it" then, yes, that's exactly what could happen. Under Aide to the Civil Power, the CDS must respond to a request from the province.

In this case however, I think they might be trying to pass the buck to the feds  ;D

COBRA-6 said:
If the province decides they "can't handle it" then, yes, that's exactly what could happen. Under Aide to the Civil Power, the CDS must respond to a request from the province.

Not going to happen, election in 11 months and McGuinty won't risk that sort of voter backlash

rmacqueen said:
Not going to happen, election in 11 months and McGuinty won't risk that sort of voter backlash

That's why I could see him doing it, so it would no longer be his problem.

So the question is, will Ontario:

a) do nothing and hope the problem goes away (status quo)
b) sort the situation out themselves (potential Ipperwash?)
c) get the feds to clean up his mess (potential Oka?)

my guess is a

You mean there's other solutions than ignoring it?  :eek:

I don't see anything getting done unless somehow things escalate again.

Winter's coming.  Turn off the power and water and whatever else if no-one is paying the bills.

Maybe with winter setting in, interest will wane on the part of the protesters, but I think the Natives in Ipperwash were there for a long time before the Dudley incident. The protest is undoubtably gobbling up significant resources from the OPP. With the locals becoming frustrated, I wonder if there will be an escalation in violence bteween them and the protesters.

Maybe if everyone just stops paying attention, it will simply go away, but I can't see that happening. At some point diplomacy may become exhausted, and action will be required, but that is "un-Canadian" isn't it. A no-win situation?

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

Since this is only a property dispute and nobody's life is currently danger, there is great value from a law enforcement perspective in letting this continue to simmer. For example, this is a great way to collect intel on the native protest movement and those who support them.  Sources of funding, tracing routes of smuggled weapons and explosives, interception of communications, studying of tactics, identifying visible and behind the scenes leadership, identifying those that hold political office and support native terrorism by supplying classified information, the list goes on and on.   

Think of this as a opportunity to learn many lessons for the purposes of dealing much better with the next big native issue in Ontario, which is just around the corner.

whiskey601 said:
Since this is only a property dispute and nobody's life is currently danger, there is great value from a law enforcement perspective in letting this continue to simmer..

Yup,....overtime.

Just like a bad movie shouldn't have a sequel, the military should stay clear of this dispute. Nobody wants to see Oka 2!

The let is continue is about as hypocritical as can be.  What if I occupied a section of land and decided my Infidel posse and I where to set up shop?

OPP TRU.

This summer I was going to see if some of the guys wanted to do a roadtrip -- but apparently the OPP arrest whites driving thru...

Unfortunately, the waters are getting more and more murky.  Dalton McGuinty has now gone to the Feds for Federal money to settle a Provincial matter.  I am sure he will use the Federal involvement in Land Claims and such as a precedence, as well as all Federal support given to Reserves.

COBRA-6 said:
That's why I could see him doing it, so it would no longer be his problem.

So the question is, will Ontario:

a) do nothing and hope the problem goes away (status quo)
b) sort the situation out themselves (potential Ipperwash?)
c) get the feds to clean up his mess (potential Oka?)

my guess is a

How about:

d) Continue talking and work towards a peaceful resolution of the situation while containing it from a law enforcement point of view

Oka involved heavily armed insurgents subverting the law through organized violence.  Caledonia is a long way from that, a few violent incidents notwithstanding.  There have been other blockades by aboriginal people in the province (mostly in northern Ontario) over what they perceive as unjust situations; the only difference with this one, so far, is its duration.

Military intervention isn't even close to being justified.

Thank god you are not in charge. 

I find it interesting when casual uniformed observers say, "They (Native people) were conquered, they need to deal with reality!  Suck it up" etc.  Then they incessantly whine like little babies when society does something they dislike, when someone else's interests finally get air time. 
I say, suck it up.
'One law for all' - as defined by the Supreme Court of Canada, which happens to support Aboriginal rights, Aboriginal claims to land, self-government etc.  You need to grasp the current reality and get with the times.  Give up your griping and move on.

Back