• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO command badge

larry Strong

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right spot for this....Feel free to move it if not.

I am looking to find out what this badge was for......

Thanks for the help

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• asc.jpg
    asc.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 582
What are the dimensions of this badge?  Is it approx 1 1/8 inches high or just over 2 1/2 inches high?

It looks like an American distinctive unit insignia that would be worn on collar or field cap
(if 1 1/8 inches).

Could it be a version of the old NATO Supreme Allied Command Atlantic (ACLANT)?

images

012_005.jpg

Larry, it looks like crossed torpedoes, a trident, and a submarine. I'd be guessing some sort of sub school or torpedo school??

This from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Allied_Commander_Atlantic

Tom

Hi

Thanks for the help. :)

George, I don't have it in hand however here is a photo of the reverse and taking the size of the pin devices I would say 2.5"

Could it be a version of the old NATO Supreme Allied Command Atlantic (ACLANT)?

I don't thinks so. I am of the "School" mindset..........however what school?

Cheers
Larry

Attachments

• asc1.jpg
    asc1.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 425
Larry Strong said:
George, I don't have it in hand however here is a photo of the reverse and taking the size of the pin devices I would say 2.5"

....I am of the "School" mindset..........however what school?

Cheers
Larry

That size would put it as likely being placed on the pocket and a 'Command Badge'.

I am inclined to follow Staff Weenie's suggestion of it being along the lines of a Submarine School or Command.

Pretty sure it's a command badge for some submarine force.

Funny enough, the trident's shape is close to the old German WWII U-boat one , but there would be a "U" somewhere in the letters for 'submarine", not  a "S" if it was German.

I am not driving 40 Km into town to look it up, but if you have access to a university library or a good large library somewhere, look  for Pete Prichard's "Submarine Badges and Insignia of the World". It's a pretty exhaustive guide for historians and collectors.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Pretty sure it's a command badge for some submarine force.
Agree, but possibly  a weapons' school given the size predominance of the torpedoes (although that may be more a matter of the space they had to work with).

Funny enough, the trident's shape is close to the old German WWII U-boat one , but there would be a "U" somewhere in the letters for 'submarine", not  a "S" if it was German.
If it is NATO, it would likely be English, with a slight chance it is French (I found that almost everyone worked in English except France, who insisted on speaking French; occasionally some southern Belgians would speak French while the northern Belgians would speak....well, pig-latin or anything but  French).

I am not driving 40 Km into town to look it up....
Oh come on, it's a lovely day for a drive.  :pop:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I am not driving 40 Km into town to look it up, .....

....and looking at the trees in the forest, we can look it up using Google......Thanks for the resource: Pete Prichard's "Submarine Badges and Insignia of the World" 

Thanks to all for the help so far. The trident is what suggested to me "NATO" as shown above they are very similar....

Will have to check that book out ;) Another one for the library.
Much appreciated.

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:
Thanks to all for the help so far. The trident is what suggested to me "NATO" as shown above they are very similar....

Will have to check that book out ;) Another one for the library.
Much appreciated.

Cheers
Larry

It's similarity to the NATO Supreme Allied Command Atlantic (ACLANT) badge likely has you on the right track.

Doing a google reverse image search came up with:

https://www.navycs.com/gallery2/v/useful_images/flags_emblems/aclant.gif.html
If that helps at all

Halifax Tar said:
Oh that's too easy lol  :pop:

Pretty much; the badge he pictured does state "AIC"; it's what came to my mind and lo & behold ... it existed!!  funny that they have a few sites with imagery as well, with torpedoes and tridents and such.

Again Thanks to all

@Vern It is a little blurry and it actually is "ASC".

And yes the similarity was the reason I am thinking NATO.....

Cheers
Larry

Allied Submarine Command? Makes sense.  Per http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/doctrine/other/aap15.pdf

I posted the picture and posed the question in another forum I visit and received this reply.

I have had a look in my NATO Insignia book by Peter Wels and the closest I can get to this badge is one for Subclant. The only difference is the gold title where your is A I C and not Subclant.
I would say it is a NATO badge

That respondent also mistook the blurry "S" for an "I".  The Wels' book that he referenced was published in 1993 and thus would have predated many of the changes in NATO organization that likely resulted in a slew of new acronyms and abbreviations.  Just as ACLANT transformed (sort of) into MARCOM (whose badge incorporates the previous ACLANT emblem as one of its elements) it is possible that the former SUBCLANT may now be Allied Submarine Command (ASC) and simply swapped acronyms on its badge.  ASC, as a separate and individual organization, is likely not a very large and distinct command, probably with many of its staff being involved in other national (read USN) organizations.  Its commander, an American vice-admiral is triple (or more) hatted.
As commander, Submarine Forces he is the Undersea Domain lead, and is responsible for the submarine force's strategic vision. As commander, Submarine Force Atlantic, he commands all Atlantic-based U.S. submarines, their crews and supporting shore activities. These responsibilities also include duties as commander, Task Force (CTF) 144, CTF 84; commander, Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Forces Western Atlantic; and CTF 46. As commander, Allied Submarine Command, he provides advice to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Strategic Commanders on submarine related issues.

Back