• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany

WATCHDOG-81

Inactive
Reaction score
I will be heading to the NATO School at the end of next week and was wondering if anyone has had occasion to go there.  I am interested in knowing which hotel would be best.  As well, any other useful information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I just came back from Oberammergau.  It was a good time.  We stayed at Hotel Böld - quite nice, centrally located (the town is not that big, so I suppose everything is centrally located).  Great staff, a sauna, laundry services.  I was paying €79.00 per night.  Although there are plenty of hotels and pensions to choose from.  Most have websites.

You could also look at staying at the NATO lodge - pretty sweet accommodations too, but the food at the school leaves something to be desired.

It was the off season when I was there a couple of weeks ago - should be far busier when you go.  Lots of nice little restaurants - the Mexican restaurant (name escapes me - there is only one) is a favourite hangout, especially for American service personnel.  Go to Paradisio and get an ice cream.

You will feel an overwhelming urge to purchase a religious wood carving, because...well, every other shop sells religious wood carvings.  Not surprising, since Oberammergau is where they hold the Passion Play every 10 years.  the whole place is really beautiful - nestled at the base of a couple of mountains.

Garmish is about 30 minutes away - somewhat larger and more to do.  Depending on what kind of course you are taking, there is sometimes time built the the schedule in for castle tours and the like.  No such luck on my OPC.

If you are staying in town, it is about a 15 minutes walk to the NATO School.

Hope this helps - pm me if you want any other details.

Cheers,

MARS

Back