• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

naval communicator jobs

navymich said:
Although it is annoying to go through, the nice thing about the electronic way of filling out security forms is that it does a completeness check for you so right away you know if you are missing anything.

You would think so.......When i completed mine, the global completeness check said everything was good.  Well turns out that it wasnt wich caused delays.  When Ottawa was queried they said that it doesnt always work as intended.

aesop081 said:
You would think so.......When i completed mine, the global completeness check said everything was good.  Well turns out that it wasnt wich caused delays.  When Ottawa was queried they said that it doesnt always work as intended.

When I did mine, all looked good.  Two months later when one of my brothers was doing his, he asked me for my info.  As I had just done mine, I told him I could save him a lot of work, and I would send him all the info.  When I looked at what I had on the printout, my sister who was born in Winnipeg and was now living in Australia, was 'now born in Australia'.  As I would have been two at the time, and the fact that I have never been to Australia, this posed quite a problem.  I now had to completely redo the online application.  It is a system/program that does have some flaws in it, so be very careful when you check the printed copy.  Then make sure you keep a copy for your files.

aesop081 said:

GREAT...so much for those high hopes I had.  

The biggest slowdown in mine is having to write statutory declarations about family that I don't know where are.

Take it from a Regular Force Naval Communicator with 15 years in. If you want training in Computers/Networks/Software etc. Then sign yourself up! If you want to get paid great money for walking in with no experience and no education...Sign yourself up. If you want to fart around and go from little contract to little contract thinking that the Heavy Warship life is like the life of a Naval Reservist...then go sign up with them. I am a regular force Naval Communicator posted to a Naval Reserve unit. I see people everyday that refuse to commit themselves and then end up leaving the Reserves bitter and confused.

Go sign yourself up as a Naval Communicator in the Regular Force and give it a go. Within 3 years, you will be able to make up your mind and decide if you want to carry on with your commitment. You will be doing your job every day, not just in the summers and the occasional weekend Saturday.

In defence of Naval Reservists. You don't have to be a Regular Force Sailor to be a professional. I don't know how many times I have heard "I am just a SHAD. What can I do?". (SHAD: Sunday Holiday and After Dinner Sailor) Well I square them off for even saying that! Firstly, they cut themselves down every  time that they say that. Secondly, they souldn't feel that they have to compare themselves with their Regular Force commrades. There simply is no comparison. You can't equate yourself with someone who has more time doing the job than you do.

I tell all the Naval Reservists that you don't have to be a Regular Force Sailor to have a professional attitude. If you have the right attitude, then you will learn from all opportunities to train. Keep a positive attitude and you will succeed.

I recommend that you get out and sign yourself up as a Regular Force Naval Communicator, get your IT Training, get a tour or two under your belt and come on out and become a part of the team. Clean white sheets, 5 square meals a day, duty free beer and exotic ports of call. The decision on where you will go in your life is ultimately up to YOU!

Ready Aye Ready

I'm done!

Naval Boarding Party said:
Clean white sheets, 5 square meals a day, duty free beer and exotic ports of call.

Duty free beer...I think you just convinced me ;D As a fellow Nav Comm I'm looking forward to starting my training; whenever that will be but I have a question as to what are the main difference between a reserve nav comm and a reg froce nav comm. Since you serve on a reserve ship NBP perhaps you can tell me the differences between the to.

Firstly, I am a Regular Force Sailor who is posted to a Naval Reserve Unit. It is a building not a real ship that moves. Reserve units try to use naval terms to get their people used to hearing and using the terms that they would use on a real ship.

As for the Naval Boarding Party. I don't believe that the Naval Reserves run any Naval Boarding Courses. I have yet to serve on a boarding party with a Naval Reservist. If anyone out there knows of a Naval Reservist who has been trained and served with a Boarding Party, please let us know.

The difference between a Regular Force Naval Communicator and a Naval Reserve Naval Communicator is well firstly the amount of training and experience that you get. The Regular Force gets a whole lot more training and experience. The reason being that the Regs are doing the job 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They have more opportunity and are thrown into the job right away. The Reserves gear up their courses and training packages to be done during the spring breaks, summer sessions and any time that allows students in high school, university, community collage etc to attend.

Now some Reservists will tell you that they have just as much experience and sea time as the Regs. That is not so. Going to sea in a small MCDV with no speed and second world war vintage mini-guns restricts to a large degree what you can do as well as the ship's endurance and the ports that it will visit. I could go on comparing a full time Sailor to a Part-Time Sailor but I find that Reservists quickly get their noses bent out of shape when you start comparing. So lets get to some other  stuff that really nails down the difference.

Okay, Information Technology Training. Network, Servers, PC Hardware etc. The Reserve Naval Communicator, as far as I know, doesn't get this training. Right now, the Regs are getting this training on both coasts all being done downtown, provided by an international civillian Computer Training provider. Millions of dollars that you won't see spent on the Reserves. Reserves may touch on installing a basic operating system like MS Windows or XP but not much more than that.

Naval Boarding Party. The Boarding Party  is taken from all trades in a Reg Force Warship. Reg Force Warships are also known as "Heavys". The team is made up of a slice of all different trades to have a good balance of subject matter experts to tackle any number of threats or problems that may arise during a boarding. Normally, the more experienced Sailors are asked to "Volunteer" for the team. Naval Communicators are always on the team. Infact you will change jobs and tasking around to keep sharp. You can get in shape and ask to become part of the boarding team and eventually, with some luck you may be chosen.

So, good luck. Keep in mind that the Regular Force and Reservists work together all the time and it is not fair to compare as it can sometimes give the impression that Regs look down on the Reservists. Most of the time it is ignorance on the part of the Regulars who just don't understand the unique challanges that Reservists face. Reservists have unique skills that are seldom encountered in the Reg Force and most times, they just don't know how to deal with a Boatswain with a degree in business. Yup, it happens.

I expect that this thread can be shut down now that you have your answers about the new job. Go East young man......go East!

Cheers.

"I am just a SHAD. What can I do?". (SHAD: Sunday Holiday and After Dinner Sailor)

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't SHAD come from Shadow Sailor, which was a term used for Reserve sailors in WWII?

Sub_Guy said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't SHAD come from Shadow Sailor, which was a term used for Reserve sailors in WWII?

That is the way I have heard it too Sub_Guy.  Unfortunately, nowadays, it is meant as a derogatory term.  Of course, most of that seems to come from the tone used to say it.

There is nothing bad about that term (SHAD), we all serve under the same flag.  I hear the greasy submariner term thrown around alot, although we are the butt end of a lot of jokes we submariners are a proud "dirty" bunch.  Much like the Shads out there. 

It seems that every element/unit throws $hIt at other units, sure it may be annoying but it does make us all stronger as a team, and that is most important thing.  Personally I always bash the SHADS, but 98% of that is in good fun.

navymich said:
Why am I not surprised that you are an exception to the rules aesop!

...But specifically regarding NavComm courses:  They cancelled 4 or 5 QL1 courses last summer due to students not having level 3.  All of them were in progress at some level, but had not been completed.  They were able to get a few more students on the course by calling DPM Sec, but with how backlogged they are, and the lengthy procedures for level 3, it wasn't a guarantee.

They are attempting to find a way around some of it, including sectioning the course to at least allow a student to commence, but no word as of yet.  It would be nice if they could follow the same track as you and as long as it was in progress, it was acceptable.  There are now quite a few kids a year behind in training.

Yep, I was one of those who got their course cancelled on them. Now I'm still an OS, lost a year of training.
At least I'm leaving on sunday to finally start my QL1.

rahan said:
Yep, I was one of those who got their course cancelled on them. Now I'm still an OS, lost a year of training.
At least I'm leaving on sunday to finally start my QL1.
Did you at least get on your NETP last summer?  Hopefully so, because now, after your 1's course, you will be able to go to sea and work on your OJT package (dependent on the availability of yourself and positions of course).

Best of luck on your course and enjoy Victoria.  If you have any questions before you get here, or even after you're here, let us know (there are quite a few West Coast comms on the site).

I registered to this forum today and noticed this thread. Looks like you've been given some good information on the trade here, but wouldn't mind adding my two cents.

I was a NavSig from 1990-1996 (took FRP) and am proud to have been a NavSig. I got out before they put the two trades together so not sure what the requirements are (math etc), and in those days we were just getting computers to type messages, though most was still done on electric typewriters.

The things that I enjoyed were the responsibilites given to you at an early stage - some times the only Sig on the bridge and you were always close to the CO and OOW. Message Center Dayman - no cleaning stations and you basically hung around officers all day. Not always a good thing, but if you were good you got noticed. Sigs and Radops were very close knit, one thing I really miss now that I'm out. And, as happened to me, you can yell back at an OOW and get away with it, and have him come back and apologize to you.

It is stressful and have seen a few marriages crack, guys get locked up for alcohol abuse (and lose their security clearance), and move onto to other trades. But like the motto at the school at CFB Esquimalt (if it's still there..the motto that is), we are the Elite of the Fleet.

Court

Welcome to the board Skyler.  I too was a sig until the amalgamation.  I miss everything that you talk about.  I still get to do most of it, just not as often as I wish I could.  The junior bodies in my department think I'm nuts (okay, so maybe I am  :D) with how much I like tactical and fleet manoeuvring, but that was our bread and butter then.  And the knowledge is sorely lacking in it today.

Thanks navymich!

I'm only in contact with one guy now, Don Morehouse...but he was also my first SHOW and later roommate. OOW Man's could be fun, unless the officer wasn't really squared away. I enjoyed light most of all, and it was interesting that after awhile you saw all those dits and dahs as actual letters. Sem was fun during a RAS, catching up on info, and noticing others wondering what the heck you were doing.

Did a spell at MARPACOPS, but our other LS got caught drinking and driving so lost his clearance so got called back. Shame because that is one of our better duties. Nothing like getting all the interesting intel that doesn't make the news. I actually did wait until 5 years before telling my family some of the things that I saw there.

I never did much time in Halifax except for OSUT, and beating HMCS Iroquios badly at Adm O'Brien  ;D

Court

The good news for all you old school gents/girls is that they are looking at bringing the Adm O'Brien competition back!  I agree Navymich that our tactical skills are trailing off, I can understand why though.  Most of the information is passed through the ops rm which then passed the information up the bridge, all the while the comms are flipping though Vol II trying to piece together what was already passed to the OOW 5 minutes ago.

Now there is talk of taking Sem out of the picture.  And with MOSART I think the 00299 will be in for a big change.  OOW Man is fun especially when you see some people stress out, etc.  I still don't know why they are usually done around lunch time though.  Flashing light is a good dit, but again these skills are going out the window, they are only really practical during radio silence.

The old school signalman (262) skills are slowing disappearing, when you sit down and think about it there really isn't a need for a 00299 on the bridge, as most of our job up there is a little redundant.  Sometimes I think they only keep comms on the bridge to clean the windows and take out the gash.  Is there any value in hoisting flag H while conducting flight ops and there isn't a contact within 250 Km of your unit?  navymich please refrain from wanting to take a hammer to my head for those comments  >:D!

Recruitee beware

The Naval Signalman trade 262 and R262 (reserves) is dead. Gone. Naval Radio Operator 274 is gone too. Amalgamation is well behind us and there are still left over reminders of what we (Naval Communicators) once were. These days, we are training our people to carry out some other duties to add to the former 262/274 trades. Information Technology, Network and Server management is the current order of the day. We are evolving constantly and those leaders with their heads in the proverbial clouds will eventually be left behind. I see too many of the former 262/274 being kept around merely to train the new blood to replace them. When amalgamation happened, there were a number of elevated personal evaluations submitted which saw an increase in promotions during and shortly after it was completed. That however could be a seperate thread all together for the Regular Force members of the site to discuss.

Let's get to the Point

I will make my point. I can understand that there a many of us both Reg and Res that were former Nav Sig and NRADOP. It is nice to tell stories to maintain a memory of traditions and training experiences but the general calibre/performance of modern day Naval Communicators will be less than the Nav Sigs/NRADOPS of 7 or 8 years ago. There is just too much information and training for our people to be proficient in all tasks. It is a dis-service, in my opinion, to our up and coming, modern day NAV COMMS, to encourage the us and them attitude between former Nav Sigs and NRADOPS.

Nav Sigs and NRADOPS (the legacy)

ACIGSkyler had it right when he said that NRADOPS and Nav Sigs were very close. When the ship had to be dressed over all (cables and lines to display colourful flags from bow to stern) the "Communication Section" pulled together and threw up the flags aloft as a team. There was little distinction between the two trades. Today, that job is still carried out by the same team. The job has changed and Nav Comms are being asked to do a different job but the nature of the tasks are evolving and changing as new classes of ships/subs and equipment is procured.

For potential recruits of today who are considering Naval Communications as a choice. You should know that this is a trade that has gone through a lot of change over the last few years and continues to evolve. There is a whole lot more equipment and overseas deployments in the Regular Force than there is in the Naval Reserves. The Regular force had  more obstacles to overcome than the Reserves as there were two completely different trades and very different classes of ships.

Consider the source of Information

While you can run out and sign up at a recruiting centre and find yourself quickly on your way to basic training, you should make sure that you consider all your options before you put on a military uniform and stand up for your country. Consider what you want to get out of the commitment. There is a large variance between Regular Force service (full time) and Primary Reserves. The training, pay, posting, potential to come into harms way and long term benefits are very different between Regular Force Nav Comms and Primary Reserve Nav Comms.

Without going into too much more detail, I advise you to consider your source of information and the those who advise you on this trade. As this is a public forum, anyone from around the world with internet access can throw in their opinion. Reguardless of the opinion they have of the trade and themselves, we have no way to confirm or authenticate the experience and access that advisors on this site have.

Some questions you should be asking

A question that you should be asking first is if the person advising you is a Regular or Primary Reservist. Secondly, ask them what their experience is and rank. For example, just because someone may have been onboard a Submarine doesn't make them an expert. They may think that they are and speak with authority and conviction, but they are by no means an expert. Some people who wear a uniform elevate their selfworth well above of their actual contribution to an organization. The opportunity to wear a uniform and become part of something bigger than themselves can be a little intoxicating for some people. Be wary of those who wish to make themselves look good and impress you with their limited experience.

If you have any doubt. Fire a question out in the forum and consider all responses. Have a look around and consider all of the advice. Learn the difference between Regular Force and Primary Reserves as it is extremely important that you know all of your options before you proceed. The recruiting office doesn't always have the answer to all your detailed questions and expectations about the Naval Communicator's Trade. That is hopefully where this forum can help.

Best of Luck

I wish all new comers well and I truely hope that your path is a well informed one. I have no regrets about becoming part of this trade 15 years ago. Considering the minimum requirements and education requried to enlist into this trade, the pay off is more than fair. I have travelled to more than 45 countries and have had the honor of representing Canada to many different cultures. I love the job and even through the numberous changes I continue to stay and train my replacements.

Fair Seas and Following winds.

For example, just because someone may have been onboard a Submarine doesn't make them an expert. They may think that they are and speak with authority and conviction, but they are by no means an expert.

I certainly hope that wasn't directed at me, as I don't have much time on the new boats, but you will find most of the New submariners don't........And by no means am I an expert, Spent a year and a half on the vic, and 8 months training in Halifax......... Never proclaimed to be an expert, but then again there are those "O" Boat submariners who were experts in that "era" who are clueless in this one.....

As for the Naval Communicator trade, it is constantly evolving and if IT is your thing then sign yourself up!!  Go for it!!  I joined as a 277 have 10 years in, sailed on both coasts, all classes, and I love it.  Currently employed at NRS is hard to take, as it seems that when an operator makes a mistake utilizing new messaging methods, we are immediately thrown back into a more redundant operation.

Personally I don't get much job satisfaction working ashore, our SOPS for doing various procedures is constantly changing, if you take 2 weeks leave you can come back and have to learn a new way to do an old thing.  We do some basic IT here at NRS working at the network operations centre but that mainly consists of MONITORING equipment and paging a tech when there is an issue, our troubleshooting abilities are extremely limited.  Adapting to change is one thing, but when the change is constant it does get frustrating.

It is not a bad job but since I have been in we have always been in transition, when I first got to the ship it was the merge of the two trades 262, 274, and now it is the inclusion of IT in our trade, with MOSART breathing down our necks I am sure there will be another big change coming.  It is possible that I will do my entire 20 years in a constant state of change. 

00299 is one of the best trades in the Navy, you are always in the "know" you have a close relationship with the CO, XO, Command team.  Your duty watches in port are good, plus you work in a restricted space, we have our own world at sea, and it rocks.

00299 is one of the best trades in the Navy, you are always in the "know" you have a close relationship with the CO, XO, Command team.  Your duty watches in port are good, plus you work in a restricted space, we have our own world at sea, and it rocks.

Couldn't agree more. Other guys on the ship quickly found out who the message center dayman was and you'd always have them asking questions. When you had a good CO and XO (Lofthouse and Bell come to mind), chitchatting on the bridge with the CO. It was great working in a restricted space as it was a good place to hide at times  ;D Don't know what duty watches are like now, but when you had enough Sigs you could go through a couple of port visits without standing watch...but even then it was a good gig, not much traffic going on and most of the time it was hanging out reading or watching TV.

ACIGSkyler had it right when he said that NRADOPS and Nav Sigs were very close.

Now that I'm out, it's the thing I miss the most about our trade, and the forces in general. Thought I would be able to find it in other careers but nada, and why I'm looking at maybe joining the Reserves here in Ottawa.
The good news for all you old school gents/girls is that they are looking at bringing the Adm O'Brien competition back!

Dang, didn't even though they dropped it. It was an excellent competition, and alot of fun...and got to bring home alot of plaques, awards...and drinking the cup was fun  :)

Court

How long does it take before most Naval Communicators get promoted to Leading Seaman?

nerdgirl said:
How long does it take before most Naval Communicators get promoted to Leading Seaman?

Like most trades in the CF, four years. 

(Pedants, take note that I said "most".  ;D)

Back