• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navcomm course

Phantom Train

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

Could someone tell me when the next Navcomm course is scheduled (french or english, it doesn't matter) ? Or give a phone number/ email address where I could get the information ?

Thank you
Jonathan

Phantom Train said:
Hi,

Could someone tell me when the next Navcomm course is scheduled (french or english, it doesn't matter) ? Or give a phone number/ email address where I could get the information ?

Thank you
Jonathan

Your profile states that you are working at a CFRC.  Should you not therefore have access to this information through official channels there, rather then unofficial here? 

However, on the assumption that nobody there knows anything about navcomms, I suggest that you check out the DIN site for CFB Esquimalt.  The comm school is located under Fleet School.  Last time I checked, there were no course dates listed, but there is contact information.

Pissst!  Airmich. 

CFRC Montreal could only be his/her holding Unit; not necessarily where they work.    ;D

I Fired him a PM with the Sr Instructors number at Fleet School Esquimalt (they're the MA for the RegF QL3, otherwise next best chance is DMTE (that would be fun to watch)

Well actually,  I passed the last 3 months doing my IAP/BOTP course, therefore I didn't took much time to update my profile here. So right now I'm in St-Jean. I finished my BOTP but decided to switch my trade from SIG O to NAVCOMM and now I'm stuck on the PAT platoon for God knows how long.

Since I don't want to stay on the PAT for too long, I'm trying to get as much information as possible so I can prepare for for the BPSO interview and ask for a temporary affectation in Montreal. Also, I've been talking to some people there and about everyone told me something different as for how long it would take, so I'd like to get information directly from the right people.

Thank you all for your replies
Jonathan

Phantom Train said:
Well actually,  I passed the last 3 months doing my IAP/BOTP course, therefore I didn't took much time to update my profile here. So right now I'm in St-Jean. I finished my BOTP but decided to switch my trade from SIG O to NAVCOMM and now I'm stuck on the PAT platoon for God knows how long.

Whoa!  SIG O to NAVCOMM?  Signals Officer is, obviously, an officer occupation - while Naval Communicator is a NCM occupation.  Are you aware that you're leaving the officer stream, and joining the NCM stream?

Phantom Train said:

Since I don't want to stay on the PAT for too long, I'm trying to get as much information as possible so I can prepare for for the BPSO interview and ask for a temporary affectation in Montreal. Also, I've been talking to some people there and about everyone told me something different as for how long it would take, so I'd like to get information directly from the right people.

Thank you all for your replies
Jonathan

Thank you for the explanation, it helps out alot.  There are quite a few threads on here regarding the navcomm trade.  If you have any other questions after reading through them, please ask as there are several current and former comms on the board.

Unless there is some higher wisdom floating out there I would have serious reservations on giving up a commission as a Sig O for a NCM trade.
How about remustering to some other officer occupation?

Just a little food for thought, over the last 3 years navcomm ncm's have been waiting anywhere from 8-16 months for a course sitting on PAT platoon.

ArtyNewbie said:
Just a little food for thought, over the last 3 years navcomm ncm's have been waiting anywhere from 8-16 months for a course sitting on PAT platoon.

Are courses really that far behind?  Or is it still the case of the wait and wait for security clearances?

the courses have caught up but alas DPM SEC 2 Hasn't (lots of guys still waiting greater than 18 months for security clearances)

ArtyNewbie said:
the courses have caught up but alas DPM SEC 2 Hasn't (lots of guys still waiting greater than 18 months for security clearances)

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  The date of my last Level III clearance was Nov 1998.  I have a pending 5-year periodic update, a change of marital status (common law) update, and a change of marital status (marriage) update all collecting dust on someone's desk.  If I have to submit an update for the upcoming birth of my first child in ~2 weeks, I'll be retired before I ever see the clearance renewed :)

Bloody good thing they don't expire anymore, you and I would both be out of a job waiting for renewals, (my 5 year update was due in 04) and its "processing" says the system (same as holding up a coffee cup in Ottawa)

ArtyNewbie said:

Ofcourse I'm a rare example but I waited only 2 weeks to get loaded on my Nav Comm ql3s. But speaking for others I can say the wait isn't that long; not even close. Yes there is the odd person whom after training (ql3s plus netp) will have stayed about a year in Nelles block but it's usualy not that bad. As of now the big waits are for Bosn 3s; seems like they arn't running enough courses. How long you wait for your 3s depends on a number of factors; the main one being your security clearance, course dates, and the number of students waiting in pat. They are not going to run a course with only 2 or 3 people so you will have to be patient and wait for St.Jean to spit out more Nav Comms. Hope that helps :)

First, thank you for all your replies.

I had time to gather some information since my last post, which I'd like to share so it may help some other people later on.  So what I`ve learned, is that the next navcomm course will be held January 7, 2008. I got this information from an instructor at the CFFSE. From what I've read on the intranet page of the school NETP course are given quite often (a new course starts each month), so this is not a problem either.

As it was mentionned, the only problem is the security clearance, which may take a while, and as far as I know, my file is somewhere at CFRG Borden, waiting to be process. I don't want to get off topic so I'll just conclude that I was refused an attach posting, so I'll do my OPME courses while on PAT.

Phantom, kudos to you for deciding to be productive and make the best of your time on PAT.  That will bode well with your future.  Have you been accepted for navcomm then?  And where are you located right now on PAT?

I just got my level III clearance, it took just over 2 yrs. I did my QL1 course with only 3 people but I don't think they would do reg force QL3 with so few participants.

Course dates are never a sure thing. Like I said before in a previous thread; it all depends on how many nav comms are waiting in pat. As for reserve courses; I've seen 1s courses running with only 2 people.

Do you still get the chance to work or get paid during all this waiting?

Back