• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy good career to see the world?

Ex-D, he does have a point.... we don't seem to sail as much as we did when I first came over to the Navy.  The budget needs of the CF has changed and there is less to go around.  It used to be common to have fleet ops on a "regular" basis, but it seems to be a rare event nowadays. 

That being said, when we do sail there are still great places to see and experience.  As others have commented, the life is what you make of it.  If you want to have a negative outlook like our young west coaster, life will indeed suck.  Perhaps because he is so damn disgruntled he only attracts like minded people.  There are always whingers and bitchers in every unit, but BS on the percentage he claims.  And yes, Sonny, I am from the lower decks.  I am always amazed at those who are in the Navy and don't wish to sail.  That is what it is all about for christsakes.  Do your self and your shipmates a favour and get the hell out of the Reg Force.  Your a drag on morale. :crybaby:

JJT, I think it depends on what ship you are on...some never seem to sail, others seem to never stop. I could never complain of the ports I have been to (well some) and I have talked to some of the old salts that were in the Navy during the hey days and our port visits are nothing to sneeze at.

Considering Mr Lotion had S/Lt as his rank when I posted my above comment and has since changed it to Capt, I am very curious as to where he has sailed and what his naval experience has been.

Ex-D, I agree some ships do seem to see better ports/trips than others.  Always has done and always will be.  My point was that the whole family does not seem to go for a Sunday drive as often or like we used to.  It used to be regular like clockwork, from Jan to Mar we were all down South for CaribfleetOps.  Those kind of trips was my point.  The way of doing business has changed for various reasons.

I have always enjoyed the ports I have visited.  Some more than others.  But if I did have a wish, it would be to see different ports than some of the old haunts we keep returning to.  Norfolk, for instance.  The old familiar is great, but some spice now and then is good too such as a Fleet-week somewhere.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I have talked to some of the old salts that were in the Navy during the hey days and our port visits are nothing to sneeze at.

What's with calling me names??  ;)

jollyjacktar said:
...but some spice now and then is good too such as a Fleet-week somewhere.

They need to add some spice to those as well.  Portland Rose Festival is not even close to what it used to be!  I agree with what you say about the same "old haunts".  Seattle is to west as Norfolk is to you guys.

Now I have only had the pleasure of attending one Fleet Week to date.  I understand the NYC has the best on this coast.  Mine was in Fort Lauderdale.  Unlike most of my time in the mob it was nice to be somewhere where the civilians appreciated those of us in uniform.  But then the Yanks always have loved their servicemen/women more than here.

The same old haunts do get bloody boring for sure.  Just ask any Army type of the excitement of Wainwright, Suffield or the like.  Don't get me wrong, it is nice to get out of Dodge from time to time and go down South, but there are so many places you can go into and hang  your hat for a day or two.  Maybe I was spoiled by my first foreign port which was Old San Juan, PR.  A good first port....

Back