• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy removes USS Theodore Roosevelt captain

And Undersecretary of the Army James McPherson is appointed as Acting Secretary of the Navy.  RAdm (retired) McPherson was formerly Judge Advocate General of the Navy.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio_ret.asp?bioID=214

I can see it now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGuy0jievs

Blackadder1916 said:
And Undersecretary of the Army James McPherson is appointed as Acting Secretary of the Navy.  RAdm (retired) McPherson was formerly Judge Advocate General of the Navy.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio_ret.asp?bioID=214

Is it normal for retired members of one service to become Secretaries (or Assistant, etc) of another service?

Colin P said:
I was thinking of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZbGslaRKY

That looks like fun. I've been involved in land versions of situations like that.

Dimsum said:
Is it normal for retired members of one service to become Secretaries (or Assistant, etc) of another service?
Pompao is a West Point grad as is Sec Esper. Prior military experience is not a requirement but it helps. A retired USAF officer I went to school with ended up as an assistant air force secretary. His career had been in USAF special ops flying special ops C130's.

Now that Modly and his entourage have been aboard the TR, has he(they) been tested?  Will he(they) self-isolate for 14 days?

Trust Duffle Blog to channel former A/SECDEF Modly and the Cain's Queeg.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2020/04/ousted-navy-secretary-modly-vows-to-find-out-who-stole-frozen-strawberries/

THE PACIFIC — Ousted Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Wednesday that he would continue to investigate the theft of one quart of frozen strawberries aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, sources confirmed today.

Modly’s investigation, called “perfectly reasonable” by Navy insiders, has continued despite a growing national security crisis which has killed over 10,000 Americans so far and threatens to kill more Americans over the next few months than the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, and the First World War combined.

Modly first announced the investigation during an address to the crew of the coronavirus-stricken carrier, in which Modly invoked the term “servant leadership” and vowed he would “never, ever, ever, ever, ever throw you guys under the bus,” according to an audio transcript acquired by The Daily Caller.

The audio transcript did not capture the sound of Modly crossing his fingers behind his back.

Last week, Modly relieved the ship’s captain, Capt. Brett Crozier, resulting in a flood of support for the beloved naval officer on social media. Several videos showed the commander receiving a hero’s farewell as he departed the vessel for the last time.

Modly was dismissive of the captain, adding “Crozier was no different from any other officer…they were all disloyal. I tried to run this Navy properly, but they fought me at every turn.”

“Ah, but the strawberries,” added Modly, “that’s where I had them…they laughed at me and made jokes, but I had ‘em.”

Some critics have questioned Modly’s motivation and priorities, given his laserlike focus on bullshit minutiae like missing strawberries, English muffins, and leaked memos rather than the obvious coronavirus pandemic threatening to consume an entire aircraft carrier or the fact that two 1,000-bed hospital ships were treating a combined total of 35 patients as of Friday.

Modly dismissed those claims.

“There are only four ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, the Navy way, and my way. You can shoot unarmed detainees in this Navy, but take care of your sailors and I’ll have you.”

Modly was last seen questioning the sanity of anyone who would make an outlandish statement, knowing it would be leaked to the press in an audio recording which was subsequently released to the press.

FSTO said:
Trust Duffle Blog to channel former A/SECDEF Modly and the Cain's Queeg.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2020/04/ousted-navy-secretary-modly-vows-to-find-out-who-stole-frozen-strawberries/

THE PACIFIC — Ousted Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Wednesday that he would continue to investigate the theft of one quart of frozen strawberries aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, sources confirmed today.

Modly’s investigation, called “perfectly reasonable” by Navy insiders, has continued despite a growing national security crisis which has killed over 10,000 Americans so far and threatens to kill more Americans over the next few months than the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Vietnam, and the First World War combined.

Modly first announced the investigation during an address to the crew of the coronavirus-stricken carrier, in which Modly invoked the term “servant leadership” and vowed he would “never, ever, ever, ever, ever throw you guys under the bus,” according to an audio transcript acquired by The Daily Caller.

The audio transcript did not capture the sound of Modly crossing his fingers behind his back.

Last week, Modly relieved the ship’s captain, Capt. Brett Crozier, resulting in a flood of support for the beloved naval officer on social media. Several videos showed the commander receiving a hero’s farewell as he departed the vessel for the last time.

Modly was dismissive of the captain, adding “Crozier was no different from any other officer…they were all disloyal. I tried to run this Navy properly, but they fought me at every turn.”

“Ah, but the strawberries,” added Modly, “that’s where I had them…they laughed at me and made jokes, but I had ‘em.”

Some critics have questioned Modly’s motivation and priorities, given his laserlike focus on bullshit minutiae like missing strawberries, English muffins, and leaked memos rather than the obvious coronavirus pandemic threatening to consume an entire aircraft carrier or the fact that two 1,000-bed hospital ships were treating a combined total of 35 patients as of Friday.

Modly dismissed those claims.

“There are only four ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, the Navy way, and my way. You can shoot unarmed detainees in this Navy, but take care of your sailors and I’ll have you.”

Modly was last seen questioning the sanity of anyone who would make an outlandish statement, knowing it would be leaked to the press in an audio recording which was subsequently released to the press.

My favourite quote from that movie:

Lt. Keith:
Well, he's certainly Navy.

Lt. Keefer:
Yeah... so was Captain Bligh.

daftandbarmy said:
My favourite quote from that movie:

Lt. Keith:
Well, he's certainly Navy.

Lt. Keefer:
Yeah... so was Captain Bligh.

Ah Lt Keefer, poster boy for Lower Deck Lawyers the world over!

Blackadder1916 said:
Otherwise known as avoiding the press.

If I were unkind I would add 'Revenge is a dish best eaten Covid', but I'm not ... much

tomahawk6 said:
Modly is now in self quarantine.
IAW the CDC guidelines, he should have self-isolated as soon as he got back from his demoralizing tour. Should have been particularly self-evident given the state of the ship he was on.

I wonder how many more ships will be affected by the virus ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/senior-pentagon-official-navy-may-see-another-coronavirus-stricken-ship/ar-BB12p2Rl?ocid=spartanntp

Just in, from Duffleblog

Pentagon worries Capt. Crozier’s concern for his sailors may be contagious

PENTAGON – Pentagon officials have expressed concern in recent days that the former commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt may have infected other commanders with a desire to place the well-being of their troops over loyalty to senior leadership, sources confirmed Friday.

“The seriousness of this cannot be overstated,” said Col. Vance Kushner, a Pentagon spokesman. “This isn’t like some kind of virus threatening the health and well-being of our soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen. This is much worse. This makes us sitting here in the Pentagon look like out-of-touch asses.”

“We have no idea how much contact Crozier had with other commanders while contagious with this bold form of leadership. We need to pull out all stops to flatten the curve before we see others succumb to the urge to stand up for their men [and women].”
    ;D

... said Col. Vance Kushner, a Pentagon spokesman...

Duffelblog has some good contacts inside the Pentagon! :rofl:

SECDEF is no floating the possibility that Capt Crozier might be reinstated.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/esper-says-he-s-willing-to-consider-reinstating-former-commander-of-uss-theodore-roosevelt-1.625588

An interesting, though not unexpected, commentary about Capt Crozier.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2020/04/09/captain-brett-crozier-was-my-naval-academy-classmate-hes-one-of-the-finest-leaders-i-know/
OPINION

Captain Brett Crozier was my Naval Academy classmate. He’s one of the finest leaders I know
Many of my classmates and I can think of no finer person or leader from our class.

By Mark Roppolo  12:30 AM on Apr 9, 2020

The events surrounding the dismissal of Capt. Brett Crozier, the former commanding officer of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, strikes close to home. Crozier and I were in the same company for our four years together at the U.S. Naval Academy and then, after graduation and commissioning, we were roommates in flight school for two years. Many of my classmates and I can think of no finer person or leader from our class.

My friend’s name is now known around the country, after Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly announced April 2 that he was relieving Crozier of command of the Roosevelt because he had lost confidence in his judgment. This came after a letter Crozier wrote to Navy leaders on March 30 outlined his concerns about dealing with an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard his ship was obtained by and printed in the San Francisco Chronicle.

I have been proud to watch Crozier’s development from a skinny 18-year-old from Santa Rosa, Calif. to the captain of one of the Navy’s most prestigious and powerful ships. The Naval Academy Class of 1992 started with approximately 1,300 midshipmen from over 16,000 applicants. Given the unique process which requires an applicant to meet rigorous academic and physical standards, in addition to the nomination from their local congressman, the Naval Academy produces many impressive graduates with varying leadership styles.

After graduating, Crozier went to flight school in Pensacola, Fla. He started his aviation career in helicopters, excelled in his squadron, and was later selected for the rare transition from helicopters to jets. He flew F/A-18 Hornets and was later selected for command of a squadron.

In April 2014, Crozier completed the Naval Nuclear Power training program and served as the Executive Officer of USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) until July 2016. Most recently, before taking command of the Roosevelt, he had command of the USS Blue Ridge, which is the flagship of the 7th Fleet with a home port in Japan.

Crozier has excelled throughout his career because of his character and intelligence. One does not rise to become CO of an aircraft carrier without excellent and time-tested leadership and problem-solving skills.

On the ship, my friend was dealing with a rising crisis. Reported coronavirus cases were increasing daily.

Like any officer in command, he had to act decisively. In his letter sent via email to Navy leaders, Crozier detailed how the Navy’s process of testing and isolating was ineffective aboard a cramped ship of nearly 5,000 sailors with open, shared living quarters, cramped passageways, and workspaces and common meals all prepared and served by exposed personnel.

In his letter, the captain gave two options: Maintain warfighting readiness, “fight with the force we have and fight sick. We never achieve a COVID free TR. There will be losses.” Or “achieve a COVID-free TR” through “strict adherence to CDC guidelines and a methodical approach to achieve a clean ship.”

He wrote that “if required, the USS Theodore Roosevelt would embark all assigned Sailors, set sail, and be ready to fight and beat any adversary that dares challenge the US or our Allies.”

But given that we are not in a war, he recommended an aggressive plan to offboard 90% of the crew into individual rooms at Naval Station Guam and off base.

He wanted to keep the bare minimum crew required to keep the ship’s aircraft, weapons and reactors safe and secure on board. Others would be taken off the ship and placed in accommodations that met the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and the Chief of Naval Operations for restriction of movement. “This will require a political solution,” he wrote, “but it is the right thing to do. We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die.”

For this, he lost his job and a career of service to his nation that has been wholly honorable and worthy of commendation.

Modly, in an attempt to explain his decision, stated that he was not relieving Crozier of command Crozier for aggressively reporting the issue or sending it via email instead of a classified message but because Crozier did not take care to ensure that the letter would not get leaked to the press.

It’s my belief, based on the available facts and my experience in the Navy, that my friend communicated honestly and thoroughly to to his superiors and in the best interest of his crew.

On March 31, before Crozier was relieved and a day after he wrote his letter, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Robert P. Burke sent a message to the fleet regarding COVID-19 response, which stated:

“There are times that you will need to push back on operational requirements. There are times that you may need to go to an installation commander for places to house your Sailors because you cannot effectively isolate your personnel… If you’re not getting what you need, don’t suffer in silence, get the word up the chain. Above all, and I want you to hear this from me and the CNO, WE HAVE YOUR BACK. When in doubt, lean forward and lead.”

Crozier had leaned forward to lead, to spare his crew and to ensure that his ship would remain operational.

I am not privy to the details regarding who received the Crozier email or its routing. There is an ongoing investigation into details on the ship and the command climate in the Pacific Fleet.

I know that, like many of my classmates and former shipmates, I was shocked at what unfolded afterwards when Modly flew halfway around the world to personally assault Crozier’s character in an address to the Roosevelt crew.

That was unprecedented in my Naval experience. And it predictably backfired not only with crew members who can be heard jeering Modly but with so many of us who are proud Navy veterans. Under fire from all sides, Modly resigned as I sat down to write this Tuesday.

Unlike Modly, Crozier received a rousing send-off from his crew. I cannot say what the investigation into Crozier’s communication about conditions aboard the ship may reveal.

But having known him for 32 years, I can attest to this: He is an honorable man who has faithfully served the Navy for over three decades, at great sacrifice to himself and his family.

He is not one who goes searching for a cause to become a hero. The world is in unprecedented times in which an invisible virus has killed thousands, ravaged health care systems, wrecked economies and changed life as we know it.

In these times, we need leaders who “when in doubt, lean forward and lead.” This man, my friend, is that kind of leader, and he is as genuine and good as they come.

Mark Roppolo is a 1992 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. He served until 2001 as a helicopter pilot and is now a real estate investor in Dallas.

Back