• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy thermals no longer available?

LoKe

Inactive
Reaction score
In the past I would order all my white waffle thermals on LogistikUnicorp.  I went on today to get some more and they don't seem to be available anymore.

Would I be able to get them from my QM?  Or do they simply not exist anymore?

Us Navy folk need to keep warm, too...

Yes you get them through Base stores, they aren't the waffle whites anymore.  They are now the airforce pattern thermals for the navy.

northernboy_24 said:
Yes you get them through Base stores, they aren't the waffle whites anymore.  They are now the airforce pattern thermals for the navy.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm surprised I didn't hear about this.  I'll have to explore!

IMHO the blue AF style thermals are much better then the old white ones.  :nod:

yoman said:
IMHO the blue AF style thermals are much better then the old white ones.  :nod:
I liked the white ones for around home/work shirts in the cooler climate.  I'll have to find the style elsewhere.

But I'm glad they've been updated.  I never paid too much attention to the AF ones.  Are they similar to the zip-up neck style of the Army thermals?

The old white ones were cotton weren't they? Are the new blue ones synthetic like the army thermals? Are they flame retardent? Probably not something you folks should be wearing under flame retardent NCDs if folks don't like being shrink wrapped from the inside out... I deal with the threat of flash fires in my civilian occupation, synthetic long johns would be a huge hazard...

The AF issued long underwear (light weight) are 100% cotton.  These are the ones that don't have the turtleneck.  NSN for my size top (XL) is 8415-20-004-7959.

The ECW long underwear are 50% cotton, 40% wool and 10% nylon (outer layer) and 100% cotton (inner layer).  These ones have the 'turtleneck' and are very warm.  NSN for my size top (XL) is 8415-20-004-2386.  I'm fond of the inner/outer layer as I don't like wool much 'against the skin'.

Both sets are the RCAF standard for what we wear under our flying suits (dual layer requirement) and are both dark blue in color.

a Sig Op said:
The old white ones were cotton weren't they? Are the new blue ones synthetic like the army thermals? Are they flame retardent? Probably not something you folks should be wearing under flame retardent NCDs if folks don't like being shrink wrapped from the inside out... I deal with the threat of flash fires in my civilian occupation, synthetic long johns would be a huge hazard...
  The new thermals are 100% COTTON.  I cannot understand who would think that cotton thermals make sense in a maritime environment.  Most of the time that I end up wearing them it is both cold and wet.  Cotton looses all thermal properties when it gets wet.  There are better materials out there that would work in a wet environment and be flame retardant.

Maybe see if the NSN for the ECW ones are on your SOI on the Navy side; the wool would certainly help (it retains its insulation value when wet) as well as the turtleneck vice mockneck with our lightweight stuff.

The 10% nylon may melt, even under fire retardant clothing (Though if they're issued to air-crew, somone's probably looked into that issue and decided it's ok), the cotton, even if not fire retardant, shouldn't ignite and won't melt, as long as it's under fire retardant clothing.

That being said, if you don't like the cotton long johns, put in a UCR, there's much better stuff on the market now, the Helly Hansen Kermel fabric has all the warm when wet properties of the synthetic fabrics, plus it's FR and anti-static. It's available off-the-shelf and the colour even matches the NCDs.

Sub-normal said:
  The new thermals are 100% COTTON.  I cannot understand who would think that cotton thermals make sense in a maritime environment.  Most of the time that I end up wearing them it is both cold and wet.  Cotton looses all thermal properties when it gets wet.  There are better materials out there that would work in a wet environment and be flame retardant.

Agreed.

Wet cotton kills.

My search has turned up nothing.  Base supply here has none, and hasn't heard of the new thermals at all.  Said they'll look into it...

There's a few other places I could check.  Might find myself in Kingston at some point; can anyone confirm if they're stocked there yet?

Back