• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM SEP - College then CF Help?

BrendenDias

Inactive
Reaction score
I will be graduating high school soon, almost done grade 12. I have a chance to move to Kelowna after the summer, since a couple buddies of mine are going in on a house to rent there for work and schooling.
My rough "plan" was to move there while getting a job, and going to Okanagan College.. but I want to join the Forces, so looked into paid education...

" PAID COLLEGE

Enrol in the Canadian Forces through the Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP), and you will receive free college tuition, books and academic equipment in addition to a salary with benefits. Finally, you will have a guaranteed job upon graduation.

In return for having your college education paid for, you will have to serve a number of years calculated on the basis of two months' service for each month of subsidized education. For example, if you receive paid college education over the course of 4 semesters, you will have to serve in the military for at least 32 months upon completing the program (each semester is four months long).
"

I was wondering if it would make me... more competitive to want education paid by the CF, and if there was a decent chance of being accepted in this...
Any response would be great  :nod:  thanks  ;D

make you more competitive in what way?

it depends what trade you want to get into. your education, i'm sure, will have to reflect that trade you're applying for. talk to a recruiting centre!

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/109469.25/topicseen.html
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/110041.0.html

It seems there's been budget cuts, that said, I'd call a CFRC to confirm.

stack.your.crap said:
make you more competitive in what way?

it depends what trade you want to get into. your education, i'm sure, will have to reflect that trade you're applying for. talk to a recruiting centre!

Well I applied for combat trades.. which are tough to get into nowadays.. I'm pretty good in school, almost done high school, well I got 96% in my English 12 Provincial exam.. finished with 84%, so I'm a good English student, good in History and also love history, geography is good too....  however mathematics is my weak point  :(

pointfiveoh said:
http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/109469.25/topicseen.html
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/110041.0.html

It seems there's been budget cuts, that said, I'd call a CFRC to confirm.

I emailed yesterday, just to check up. Mh...

Thank you, both of you.

There are many budget cuts right now. Ask your local CFRC, I think they're is only like 8 careers that the CF will pay for via the NCM SEP program. If you want a paid education, you got better chances with the ROTP program.

My advice is the same that my father gave me many (many...) years ago as I too wanted the CF after high school.  You are young. Go to school on your own and pay for it. You can choose whatever program you want and will have the opportunity to grow and mature without having to answer to big brother. When you grad and have a diploma/degree nailed to the wall, you will be attractive to all employers, you will be older and more mature, and you might realize by then that the CF really is or is not the field you want to pursue. You will be in the driver's seat and have choices.

So definitely have a serious chat with the Recruiter as knowledge is power, but do not let time slip away by waiting for the CF to eventually call you 

Free advice to accept or reject. Apologies if I am sounding fatherly.

Good luck.

PAdm said:
My advice is the same that my father gave me many (many...) years ago as I too wanted the CF after high school.  You are young. Go to school on your own and pay for it. You can choose whatever program you want and will have the opportunity to grow and mature without having to answer to big brother. When you grad and have a diploma/degree nailed to the wall, you will be attractive to all employers, you will be older and more mature, and you might realize by then that the CF really is or is not the field you want to pursue. You will be in the driver's seat and have choices.

So definitely have a serious chat with the Recruiter as knowledge is power, but do not let time slip away by waiting for the CF to eventually call you 

Free advice to accept or reject. Apologies if I am sounding fatherly.

Good luck.

Great advise, that's surly something I should be considering. And you do sound fatherly  ;)  But it's with good purpose, thank you for your input.

Back