• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM-SEP Med Tech career path

Yes I did mean to "moonlight" with proper permission of course. I had heard of some other Med Techs doing the same and thought it was a good way to keep skills in check.

Umm so what is a QR&O?

Also I think Mariomike mentioned earlier that only the QL5 medics could do ride alongs to maintain skills, I have a ways until that point, but if I can get permission I think doing some civi EMS shifts would only benefit in the long run.

QR&O = Queen's Regulations and Orders - regulations we have to live and work by.

MM

Ah I see, yes well plenty of time to figure that out as well, just heard the idea from some other Med Techs and thought it was a good idea. The recruiter also mentioned it as a possibly when I signed up, but that it of course had to be cleared with my CO before hand.

Here in Borden, ON we have sent QL3's to Toronto to do ride alongs.  But as you said its still early and you still have up to another year of training to do before your at that point.

BorderMedic said:
For Ontario I will still need to test for my license, but there are less hoops to jump through to get to that point.

After AEMCA comes CPCRT:
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/pdf/CPCRT_2011_Info_Package.pdf

BorderMedic said:
<snip> there are also private services if I am unable to find a municipal one to work with, I have asked around a bit and have heard of a few Med Techs that do the same.

Private companies can be contracted for dedicated on-site standby service at events. So is Saint John's Ambulance. Racetracks are an example.
However, only municipal ambulances are licenced to transport patients off the property.
"We are the sole ambulance provider within the City of Toronto boundaries that is licensed to transport patients in an emergency situation (under the Ambulance Act of Ontario).":
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/service/on-site.html

Well that is even better, I was under the impression it was only the QL5's that were able to do so.

And yes Mariomike I have done some volunteering with such private company's we had fully loaded ambulances but were not allowed to transfer as you said. We would stabilize them on scene and then usually just drive them to the front of the property and transfer them to a city EMS unit upon their arrival. Not quite as fun as being on the road, but it had its moments.

Kirsten Luomala said:
Here in Borden, ON we have sent QL3's to Toronto to do ride alongs. 

BorderMedic said:
Well that is even better, I was under the impression it was only the QL5's that were able to do so.

Perhaps that was before the item ( below ) from CFHS was dated:
"Date Modified: 2011-01-10":
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/aemca-eng.asp
"Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario."

No matter where you are sent, there are aspects of any posting you will like, and dislike. 

Speaking from the CDU side of the house, we have 2 QL3's in the clinic (myself included) and we work in our full Clinical Scope of Practice.  We screen patients and do exams, then head straight for a QL5 for signature's, and treatment orders, or to one of our clinicians.  We also do wart parade, dressing changes, blood draw, Part 1 Medical Exams and anything that needs to be done that we can be trusted with.

Work hard, play hard >:D, and don't piss your Master Corporal off  ;D, and you'll have a great time no matter where you are.

And yes Fd Amb Medics make more money because they get the Land Duty Allowance.  :crybaby:

mariomike said:
AEMCA is the exam Med Techs from across Canada challenge at Borden, Ontario, after successful completion of QL5:
"Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command.  Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario. Med Techs (M) who qualify are also eligible for the writing of the exam."
"It is anticipated that members from Quebec will sit the exam in Ottawa.  Members from outside Ontario/Quebec should write the exam in Borden as the Ministry has agreed to open up a new writing site for the CF and R&Q are available."

FYI, we do not challenge the AEMCA after the course.  Just the OJT medication exam...unless things have changed in the last year...

We do have the option of challenging it tho with more ease.

DM

Back