• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM to Officer ( merged )

lohocard said:
Great. And how does CEOTP fit into the scale?

For "CEOTP" in the notes to the pay scale see "OCTP".  It is what the former "similar" commissioning plan was called.  There are two varieties - NFS (no former service, i.e. from civvy street) and "FS (former service, i.e.  entered the commissioning plan from the ranks).

If I can piggy back this topic a little bit - what are the training requirements when an experienced NCM switches to the Officer side of the house? Let's say it's an experienced MCpl, Sgt, or WO for that matter. Are they exempt from anything other than BMOQ?

If you're a Signaller, you can attempt to PLAR some or all the mods of your BSOC so you can be posted directly to a unit.

If you have PLQ-Land or Army (whatever they call it these days) you also bypass BMOQ-Land

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am currently a PTE on Worthy Troop (Armoured Soldier Holding Platoon) and I want to transfer over (Air Force) Financial Officer. I haven’t done my BMQ-Land, nor my DP1 yet. I just finished High School, so I need to go to Uni to become an Officer. I know about UTPNCM, but I read that you can only do this if you are a Corporal and above. I also heard that I can go into Reserves and they will pay 50% of my schooling, then after my schooling is done I can go back into Regular Forces. Then there’s VR-ing out doing your school then joining back in.

So my question is which is the best/fastest way to do this?

Having a discussion with some fellow soldiers tonight and were wondering what rank a Mcpl or sergeant take when they ot to a an officer?  Thanks.

Chad.wiseman said:
wondering what rank a Mcpl or sergeant take when they ot to a an officer?

See also ( if applicable to your situation ),

Reserve NCM to Reserve Officer
https://army.ca/forums/threads/105901.0

Fikret111 said:
I am currently a PTE on Worthy Troop (Armoured Soldier Holding Platoon) and I want to transfer over (Air Force) Financial Officer. I haven’t done my BMQ-Land, nor my DP1 yet. I just finished High School, so I need to go to Uni to become an Officer. I know about UTPNCM, but I read that you can only do this if you are a Corporal and above. I also heard that I can go into Reserves and they will pay 50% of my schooling, then after my schooling is done I can go back into Regular Forces. Then there’s VR-ing out doing your school then joining back in.

So my question is which is the best/fastest way to do this?

Fikret111, assumedly you are a RegF soldier on an initial contract, which means that you are obligated to serve your initial 3 years. This would have been briefed to you prior to enrolment, and you would have signed a form acknowledging it.

If you were to VR before reaching Operational Functional Point (OFP), you cannot reapply to the CAF for a minimum of one year... and after that wait, approval of a re-enrolment waiver would be required, which is not automatic. Furthermore, washing out as an NCM would not look favourably if you were to later apply as an Officer.

If you were released unfavourably, on the other hand, your chances of re-enrolment in the CAF would not be good.

As well, the PRes do not pay for 50% schooling but instead offer $2000 per year, up to $8000 total, reimbursement for soldiers enrolled in full-time post-secondary studies. This is also not an option for you until after you complete your VIE.

UTPNCM is a great program and I would highly recommend it. Yes, you would not be able to apply until you have 4 years of service, a few university courses complete on your own, and a good recommendation from your unit. If selected, you would be paid your your NCM wage (as a Cpl most likely) to attend university full-time. It is competitive but achievable if you're keen... success in your current occupation is required.

Lastly, there is no trade "Financial Officer" trade, rather finance is a stream/specialty of Logistics Officer, along with Supply, Transport, Postal Services, Food Services, Contracting, etc.

Best of luck on BMQ-L and DP1. Make the most of every experience that comes your way.

Thanks, I see now that his post is just over a year old, so my advice is perhaps not so useful to him at this stage.

winds_13 said:
Thanks, I see now that his post is just over a year old, so my advice is perhaps not so useful to him at this stage.

Perhaps not. But, it's good advice for others who may be in a similar situation.

Chad.wiseman said:
Having a discussion with some fellow soldiers tonight and were wondering what rank a Mcpl or sergeant take when they ot to a an officer?  Thanks.
Just so you are aware, you don't OT to an officer trade. There are a few in service selection processes that allow an NCM to become an officer.
That being said generally substantive Sgts receive the rank of Lt, and MCpls go to 2Lt. (Few other regs to go along with that, but thats the general rule)
CANFORGEN 77 from 2015

Back