• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need advice on goin PRes or RegF with 2 years left in my degree.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm at a crossroads and could really use some advice. Here's my situation:

I currently have 2 years left in my degree, which I ultimately want to use to become an officer down the line.
I've already applied to the Primary Reserves and have completed all the necessary testing. Now, I'm just waiting for my medical and background checks to come back.

Initially, my plan was to work in the reserves while I finish my degree over the next 2 years, and then CT into the Regular Force.
However, after reading about how long a CT process can take, I'm now reconsidering whether I should just go straight into the RegF. But I still want to complete my degree, and I'm not sure how that would work.

I'm feeling a bit stuck and would appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been in similar situations or know more about the processes involved. What are the pros and cons of each option? How feasible is it to complete my degree while serving in the RegF? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone,

I'm at a crossroads and could really use some advice. Here's my situation:

I currently have 2 years left in my degree, which I ultimately want to use to become an officer down the line.
I've already applied to the Primary Reserves and have completed all the necessary testing. Now, I'm just waiting for my medical and background checks to come back.

Initially, my plan was to work in the reserves while I finish my degree over the next 2 years, and then CT into the Regular Force.
However, after reading about how long a CT process can take, I'm now reconsidering whether I should just go straight into the RegF. But I still want to complete my degree, and I'm not sure how that would work.

I'm feeling a bit stuck and would appreciate any advice or insights from those who have been in similar situations or know more about the processes involved. What are the pros and cons of each option? How feasible is it to complete my degree while serving in the RegF? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

RESO sounds like a good fit...

If your goal is the RegF, then call the recruiting center and see if ROTP will let you join mid degree, remain at your school while paying for your tuition and train during the summer.

It takes a long time to component transfer so if you join via RESO, by the time you finish your 3rd year of university you'll already be looking to transfer to RegF and double your paperwork requirements. If you're not sure about the RegF, then the Reserves is a great place to see if you like the military culture and still get some of your education paid for.

If your goal is the RegF, then call the recruiting center and see if ROTP will let you join mid degree, remain at your school while paying for your tuition and train during the summer.

It takes a long time to component transfer so if you join via RESO, by the time you finish your 3rd year of university you'll already be looking to transfer to RegF and double your paperwork requirements. If you're not sure about the RegF, then the Reserves is a great place to see if you like the military culture and still get some of your education paid for.
Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely look into RESO.

I'm serious about RegF, thats 100% the plan after i graduate. But I don't want to be an officer right away, I want to take some time to learn a job as an NCM. Do you know if it's required in the RESO to become an officer right after I finish my degree?

RESO is the officer entry plan, you'd be an officer right away.

If you want to be a NCM, be prepared to spend 5 years as a NCM as it's not a super easy switch over.

If you want to be a RegF officer I highly recommend you just go that route. You can be a good leader and learn the job the NCMs do without actually having been a NCM. It won't give you the street cred some people think exist by commissioning from the ranks unless you spend a lot of time as a NCM.

Ok, that makes sense.

Im going into a combat trade, which I don't want to commission for. I don't on plan on becoming an officer until way down the line where I plan to VOT into a purple trade and commission, so I guess I'll gor PRes for now.

Thanks again.

Back