• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need help with capbadge....

Weezer23 said:
Hey,

I know it's a dusty old tread but i'm wondering. I just ct'ed from reserve armoured to reg F med tech and
Was wondering if the unwritten law stating that a qualified ql3 may continue to wear his previous capbadge
Until graduation of the new trade ql3. But since I have an armoured beret and switching to green..am I still allowed to wear it?

Cheers!

Have you checked the written law under CFP 265?

This is something that I think that it would be nice to get a grip on, for the sake of consistency. The policies described in CFP265 are pretty vague.

I think back to my own QL3 Infantryman -- we had two guys who OT'd from the Navy, I think they had seasickness issues, but I also know they had been MOC qualified in their old trade -- as they were both one-hook privates. But I don't think that anyone, including themselves, expected that they would wear the naval operations badge with their newly issued army DEU.

Similarly, if an Infantryman remusters from an RCR battalion to Firefighter or SAR Tech, the second that he puts an eight-pointed star on an air force wedge... well, let's just say that people will not react well.

Ostrozac said:
This is something that I think that it would be nice to get a grip on, for the sake of consistency. The policies described in CFP265 are pretty vague.

I think back to my own QL3 Infantryman -- we had two guys who OT'd from the Navy, I think they had seasickness issues, but I also know they had been MOC qualified in their old trade -- as they were both one-hook privates. But I don't think that anyone, including themselves, expected that they would wear the naval operations badge with their newly issued army DEU.

Similarly, if an Infantryman remusters from an RCR battalion to Firefighter or SAR Tech, the second that he puts an eight-pointed star on an air force wedge... well, let's just say that people will not react well.

It's not qualification in the losing trade, it's qualification in the gaining trade.

Weezer23 said:
Hey,

I know it's a dusty old tread but i'm wondering. I just ct'ed from reserve armoured to reg F med tech and
Was wondering if the unwritten law stating that a qualified ql3 may continue to wear his previous capbadge
Until graduation of the new trade ql3. But since I have an armoured beret and switching to green..am I still allowed to wear it?

Cheers!

What you see at the Canadian Forces Health Services Training Centre is that NCMs who have already been badged to another branch will wear the cap badge of that branch until they are Medical Branch QL3 trade qualified and are awarded their Medical Branch cap badge in the ceremony.  For armoured and infantry folks they revert to the generic Infantry Corps (crossed rifles) and Armoured Corps (fist in glove) cap badges from the badges of their former regiments.

This only applies to NCMs.  Officers (now especially) badge to the Medical Service as soon as they are accepted to the Branch and completed BMOQ. If they are OT / CT then they badge on acceptance of the OT/CT.

I hope that helps.  Welcome to the CFHS as a candidate. If you need any help give use a shout (lots of folks here from the Medical Branch with lots of experience) and feel free to change your avatar back to your armoured one until you pass your course and are badged to the CFMS :)

MC

I am QL5 infantry and was a Patricia for 6 years but am now a QL0 comm research. that being said I would expect any Patricia to punch me in the face for wearing the cap badge while not being a member of the unit.

There were members of PRETC who wore the Ducimus before heading off to their new respective schools. Those who remustered air element though went back to the cornflake.

Interesting that this topic still comes up... My dad in the early 90's CFR'd as a Corporal with 8 years in, CLC qualified. While on BOTC, (which he had to do portions of) he went to Chilliwack wearing a trades badge, whereas the other recruits wore Cornflakes. He was told to remove his badge and he fought for it, explaining 8 years in the trade entitled him to it. Instead of telling him to drop to a cornflake, the staff gave everyone on the course their current trade badges.

I also saw a member of PRETC who was an ex member of the combat arms, who remustered to a different element, and instead of dropping to a cornflake to wear the new element, instead chose to wear the old element until going to the new school and wearing the new badge... that one is obviously a little different circumstance... and probably would have been hung for that one if the staff ever paid any attention to it.

I wore my armoured corp regimental badge, and beret, until the day I graduated and was accepted into my new trade, at the end of my remuster course. Then they made a big deal about putting a wedge and AF badge on my head.

When you move on, you leave your old trade, qualifications and ceremony behind.

Thank you all for your inputs. (even though it took me ages to respond)  :facepalm:

MPMick said:
Interesting that this topic still comes up... My dad in the early 90's CFR'd as a Corporal with 8 years in, CLC qualified. While on BOTC, (which he had to do portions of) he went to Chilliwack wearing a trades badge, whereas the other recruits wore Cornflakes. He was told to remove his badge and he fought for it, explaining 8 years in the trade entitled him to it. Instead of telling him to drop to a cornflake, the staff gave everyone on the course their current trade badges.

I apologize for the necro-response, but I must have missed this post when it first went round.

I find the account of your Dad's experience in Chilliwack a little odd.  Granted I went through BOTC (from the ranks) several years earlier but it seems unusual that capbadge policy would be so different.  The policy back then (this was before the "new" DEUs were issued and everyone wore collar dogs on CF greens) was for all officer candidates (we weren't referred to as recruits) to wear the capbadge of their classification (we also had to have a white backing under the capbadge).  Those from the Reg Force ranks (primarily OCTP) wore collar dogs, those from civvy street and reserves did not - they first wore collar dogs on grad parade.  Combat arms types wore branch badges, but those who came from a Reg Force regiment (infantry and armoured) continued to wear their regimental brass until we went on to Gagetown for phase training.

Back