• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need some help, please dont flame me because I am being honest

evan89

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, this post probably will not be popular, but I figure it would be worse to waste peoples' time later down the line. So, here it goes.

I am currently a university student and medical school hopeful. I am in my third year, however because of some poor choices in highschool I will not be graduating anytime soon with the necessary prerequisites for medicine. I have always been interested in the reserves but there are a couple issues. I figure I'll save everyone's time by listing them:

-I have zero desire to serve overseas. Would this make me "undesirable"?
- My reasons for wanting to join are that I believe the forces will teach me skills and build character that an academic career alone cannot.
-Considering the grades I require for medicine, the reserves offer decent pay for the time required. Money is tight right now.
-As selfish as it is, having the Reserves on my application for medicine will distinguish me.

I have searched the forums and I know I am not obligated to serve as a reservist. I do not believe I am doing this for the wrong reasons but I would like some feedback. If these reasons make me undesirable for a unit, I would like to know ahead of time before I waste everyone's time and money. On a further note, I do believe I can be beneficial to the CF. But I would like to return to the Regular Forces as a Doctor.

I am sorry if I have ruffled any feathers, but I am being honest here and hope that I can be respected based on that. I have nothing but respect for those who served and continue to serve. Thanks in advance.

To quote a MCpl "people join the army for two reasons, to go overseas or because it looks good on a resume".

OK, you've confused me.

Yes, you are correct, as a reservist you'd have to volunteer to serve overseas. You have no desire to do that.

Then you end with, "I would like to return to the Regular Forces as a Doctor."

Are you meaning to say that you have no desire to serve overseas while you finish your education, but, after completion of education would like to CT to the RegF??

When moving to the RegF, would you or would you not, then want to serve overseas? If that answer is a "no", then this is definitely the wrong job for you IMO.

If your desire to not serve overseas (& I don't mean just Afghanistan) is soley due to wanting to complete your education first - well that's something else entirely.

Since no one has answered yet, I'll put in a post for you, although these are the types of questions you should be asking at your local reserve unit.

evan89 said:
...please dont flame me because I am being honest...

It sounds like youve read a few threads and seen some of the responses some people can receive.  Heres my honest opinion for you. 

evan89 said:

Reserves all have a choice on whether they wish to deploy or not.  Whether it makes you undesirable or not may depend on the unit your applying for.  Personally I dont think there's anything wrong with serving locally and not deploying, especially taking into consideration your area of study.  Becoming a doctor is not something that can be easily interrupted and then picked up again at a later time.

Plus you never know - you might like the reserves and change your mind later on about deploying overseas.

evan89 said:
- My reasons for wanting to join are that I believe the forces will teach me skills and build character that an academic career alone cannot.

Without a doubt, a tip of the hat to the reserves for such a compliment.

evan89 said:
-Considering the grades I require for medicine, the reserves offer decent pay for the time required. Money is tight right now.

You wouldnt be the first college or university student who joined to make some extra cash during schooling.  I dont think many people would have a problem with it.

evan89 said:
-As selfish as it is, having the Reserves on my application for medicine will distinguish me.

IMO, nothing wrong with that.

evan89 said:
But I would like to return to the Regular Forces as a Doctor.

This is always a good thing.  Good luck in your future studies.

Edit - looks like I spoke too soon, at least 2 others posted while I was typing this...

Evan, the Forces offer amazing challenges and opportunities, including travel. As one Canadian to another, I encourage you to try traveling even if you dislike it. You never know what sort of experience you may have, but try it at least once so you can experience it and know for sure whether or not you truly don't want to do it.

The world is an amazing place with fantastic sights that Canada alone can't fully deliver. The more I travel, the more I realize just how lucky we are to live in Canada. The more I travel the more I realize the impact of national pride and the lack of such pride, and the effect it has on people, and places. You learn so much about the world just by moving away from all the things you take for granted and never noticed before.

At times you will really miss home, or hate the place you are in, or get sick of the people you are traveling with. But it's equally likely you'll experience the complete opposite of each of those feelings, too.

So do a bit of travel, and if you do it with the Forces you get one more fantastic benefit that you didn't mention so far: tax free income when you are on deployment. And if the travel bug bites you in the good way, not the sick-for-5-days way, then perhaps the Forces will benefit from another stand-up Canadian representing them overseas, too.

Lastly, if you *ever* travel to Hong Kong... check out a club called "Dragon Eye". Trust me, you will like travel after you visit that club. ;)

Thanks all for the replies so far. I guess I should have specified that at this point in time I do not wish to go overseas because of my education. However, if I can return to the regular force as a doctor than I cannot see it being an issue. Again, replies are much appreciated.

Don't ask me. I'm still afflicted with post-apoplectic trauma following a ridiculous discussion with some people who thought it would be a good idea to join the army 'for a free education'.

Latrine2 said:
Lastly, if you *ever* travel to Hong Kong... check out a club called "Dragon Eye". Trust me, you will like travel after you visit that club. ;)

This joint? :
http://www.dragon-i.com.hk/

It says the Lunch Special is $158 per person!
Wait a minute! I looked it up. That's $20.48 CDN.  :)

Hey -- as a fellow University student, and some one currently waiting for the call for ROTP, but still on Civi Street, I do not think anyone inside or outside of the uniform can look down on your reasoning to join up. One of the mandates of the Reserves is to provide trained personnel... if you want to join up with a Reserve unit and train and do not want to deploy, your not doing anything wrong. If you join up, train, decide its something you enjoy and a lifestyle you could handle, great. If you decide its not for you after University is done ... than you learned that as well, and you have not wasted your own time by having to do BMOQ and CAP to figure it out, and you have not wasted the CF's time and money (and some one elses spot on a course) to figure it out.

Not many people join for unselfish reasons. Free training/education? Selfish. Good pay and benefits? Selfish. A chance to see the world? Selfish. You learn what the unselfish reasons to stay in are after, when you have served overseas.... at least thats what I gather from family and friends who have served and are still in the CF. I say go for it, see what its about. Again, the worst that could happen is you make an informed decision on whether or not to do it as a career when you graduate. All the best.

In the past, my initial reaction to those who wish to join the Forces, reg or reserve, but don't want to deploy was usually one of disgust. However, in my advancing age I've come to realize the truth in what many have posted here. There are many ways one can contribute while serving, especially in the medical field. However, I think you'd be depriving yourself of a truly unique experience, one that will truly build character, by choosing not to deploy. On a seperate, but semi-related, note are those who could deploy, should deploy, yet continue to milk the Queen's purse (albeit part time) and wear the uniform just for the LCF with no intention of ever serving in any fashion, home or abroad...that kinda still bugs me.

What's wrong with a reservist not wanting to deploy. The whole point of the reserves is to allow people to hold down jobs or school and "back-fill" the reg force. Besides which, aren't most deployments things Reservists have to specifically ask for? I've never heard of a reservist being forced to deploy...

gate_guard said:
However, I think you'd be depriving yourself of a truly unique experience, one that will truly build character, by choosing not to deploy.

You apparently missed the part where he said "I guess I should have specified that at this point in time I do not wish to go overseas because of my education. However, if I can return to the regular force as a doctor than I cannot see it being an issue."

He doesn't want to deploy because he's in school.

Once he's finished school, he doesn't mind.

I appreciate your honesty so I won't launch on you like I have on some others who have hinted at using the Forces to forward themselves.

One thing I can tell you is that with your plan, you are right that the Reserves is the place you want to be.

While Reservists have honourably served and over seas (some giving the ultimate sacrifice), by their very nature a Reservist has other priorities and is not committed to the CF the way a Reg Force soldier is.

Of course there are exceptions.  As I said, I have not died overseas so I can I say that I've given more than those Reservists who have?

For the 99th percentile though, to be a Reserve means that you like other things more (be it a city you love, not wanting to leave your family, not wanting to live on a base town, not wanting to leave your other job, etc) and for that reason you would mesh in better.

[Reservists getting offended]

I have served in both the Reserves and Reg Force.  When I was in the Reserves it was because I wasn't fully committed and other things were more important to me.  If you didn't have other priorities, you would be in the Reg Force, too.

[/Reservists being offended]

Loachman said:
You apparently missed the part where he said "I guess I should have specified that at this point in time I do not wish to go overseas because of my education. However, if I can return to the regular force as a doctor than I cannot see it being an issue."

He doesn't want to deploy because he's in school.

Once he's finished school, he doesn't mind.

Lol, my mistake. I wasn't trying to single him out for a lecture and I'm sure he can speak for himself but thanks for pointing out where I misread his post.

As for not deploying but staying in the Reserves, really what's the point? I know a great many Reservists with and without tours who do a great job training new troopies. However I know a select few with no other intention than to wear the uniform and pick up chicks, imo they are a waste of space. But, I still think that everybody in the CF, Reg or Reserve, should be prepared to deploy at some point in their careers. Otherwise whats the point? I'm probably coming across harsh and this isn't my intent. I just can't see the point in signing up to do a job without any intention of ever deploying, and by this I mean overseas or domestic ops.

On the subject of "free education,"  just because the Queen pays the bills, doesn't mean it's fre.  Heh heh heh.

evan89 said:

Yes.
Part of the job, especially if you're going to be in the medical field.  Watched the NEWS lately?  ;)

MedKAWD said:
Yes.
Part of the job, especially if you're going to be in the medical field.  Watched the NEWS lately?  ;)

Read Replies Number 5 and 11 on this thread lately?

Back