• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Neil Armstrong, 1930-2012, R.I.P.

One of my childhood hero's.  Sad to read the news.  :salute:

Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies
Had heart bypass surgery recently
CBC News
Posted: Aug 25, 2012 3:18 PM ET

Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon as commander of the Apollo 11 mission, has died at age 82.  Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969. As he was about to step onto the dusty planet he uttered the famous line: “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”

The Twitter feed of NBC Nightly News said he died at 2:45 p.m. ET and that he had suffered complications from heart surgery he underwent earlier this month.  The ex-astronaut underwent cardiac bypass surgery just two days after his birthday on Aug. 5. 

Family Statement

"Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati. He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.

While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

For those who may ask what they can do to honour Neil, we have a simple request. Honour his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
end of family statement

Born in Wapakoneta, Ohio on Aug. 5, 1930, Armstrong went on to get a Bachelor of Science degree in Aeronautical Engineering from Purdue University and a Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Southern California.

According to the NASA website, he joined the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) in 1955. NACA was the predecessor to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). During his 17 years at NACA in Cleveland, he was an engineer, test pilot, astronaut and administrator.

Armstrong then became a research pilot at NASA's Flight Research Center in Edwards, Calif., and flew many pioneering high speed aircraft. He flew over 200 different models of aircraft, rockets, helicopters and gliders, said the website.

Armstrong was upgraded to astronaut status in 1962. Assigned as command pilot for the Gemini 8 mission, he performed the first successful docking of two vehicles in space on March 16, 1966.

After the first manned lunar landing mission in 1969, Armstrong subsequently held the position of Deputy Associate Administrator for Aeronautics, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.

Eventually, he was a Professor of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Cincinnati between 1971 to 1979. And, from 1982 to1992, Armstrong was chair of Computing Technologies for Aviation, Inc., Charlottesville, Va.

His many honours include the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal and the Royal Geographic Society's Gold Medal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/08/25/neil-armstrong-obit.html

Just saw this
shared with all the usual

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/first-man-moon-neil-armstrong-dead-82-u-191252056.html

Mods please remove was posted as others posted.

Looks like a few of us all posted at same time. RIP Neil.

Neil Armstrong and the rest of the Apollo 11 crew really embody the "to boldly go where no man one has gone before" phrase.....

He will be among the few truly unforgotten people in history forever.

...and he passed away without anyone superseding him. I bet he would have loved to been alive to see that.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, –and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of –Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

He may have left us, but his historic footsteps remain:
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/628459main_Apollo_11.jpg (photo taken in 2009)

Back