• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Army recruitment series is a scathing indictment of American society

The Recruiter can mention the satisfaction that comes with serving your country.
Maybe that's important to some, or maybe not. That:s for them to decide.

But, the retired soldier fishing in the recruiting commercial might help convince some students that the profession of arms is a career to consider as one's life work.

I think the hook ( no pun intended ) is showing them that the younger they join, the sooner they can GTFO, if they want, while still relatively young.

Most Millennials and Gen Z are realizing that they will forever be stuck in a gig economy. The Boomer/Gen X dream of getting a degree, getting a management job with benefits, and retiring with a pension are dead in Corporate North America. Couple that with wage slavery, a hostile housing market, and staggering inflation; I honestly hope we would highlight the benefits of a military career outside of "Service Before Self."

The Boomer/Gen X dream of getting a degree, getting a management job with benefits, and retiring with a pension are dead in Corporate North America.

Maybe not corporate America, but there are still public service employers in Canada, not just federal, with a 2% accural rate, defined benefit 70% pensions. Not just a pension, full post-retirement health / dental and life insurance included .

Some get a 2.33% accural rate with “Best four” or "Best three" earnings, with an 80 Factor.

The U.S. military pension looks pretty good with an accural rate of 2.5% and "Best three".

Defined Benefit that equals 2.5% times the number of years of service times the average of the member’s highest 36 months of basic pay

That is higher than anything I have seen in Canada.

Personally, I believe that the CAF's own job advertising needs to do a lot better at highlighting the pay and benefits provided to CAF personnel. The recruiting website (Forces.ca) doesn't even provide a clear description of one's starting wage, let alone a link to the pay scale and description of allowances. Some of our most undermanned trades receive Spec Pay, and it isn't even advertised on those trades' information pages.

Personally, I believe that the CAF's own job advertising needs to do a lot better at highlighting the pay and benefits provided to CAF personnel. The recruiting website (Forces.ca) doesn't even provide a clear description of one's starting wage, let alone a link to the pay scale and description of allowances. Some of our most undermanned trades receive Spec Pay, and it isn't even advertised on those trades' information pages.

It blows my mind when people say the CAF has crap pay, when we are one if the best paid armies in NATO. Heck I tell my chef friends to join the CAF because the pay, benefits and work/life balance is better then being a cook civi side

Plus if they walk in as a red seal right now they'd get a $25k signing bonus.

Heck, the rules are odd enough that a PRes cook with their 5s would also qualify for the bonus if they CT'd.

Maybe not corporate America, but there are still public service employers in Canada, not just federal, with a 2% accural rate, defined benefit 70% pensions. Not just a pension, full post-retirement health / dental and life insurance included .

Some get a 2.33% accural rate with “Best four” or "Best three" earnings, with an 80 Factor.

The U.S. military pension looks pretty good with an accural rate of 2.5% and "Best three".

That is higher than anything I have seen in Canada.
Thank god for it, our medical costs for my daughters diabetes management without my federal heathcare would be $10,000 a year, she is 80% covered till 25, that will be $128,000 dollars in savings. I deeply feel for the typical employee or self-employed in this circumstance.

Thank god for it, our medical costs for my daughters diabetes management without my federal heathcare would be $10,000 a year, she is 80% covered till 25, that will be $128,000 dollars in savings. I deeply feel for the typical employee or self-employed in this circumstance.

Good to hear that, thank God.

Post-retirement health / dental benefits - not just how soon one can GTFO on a 40% pension - are worth looking into before joining any organization. Nothing wrong with that.

My Retirement Gratuity went into an RRSP.
I retired on a 70% defined benefit pension on my 55th birthday.
Even though retired, you and your dependants remain on full extended health and dental benefits until age 65. The employer pays 100% of the premiums.
After you turn age 65, you ( or your spouse if you die ) receive a Health Care Spending Account ( HCSA ) of $3,500 per year, payable until age 75.
Group Life Insurance – 2 x annual salary. Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance – additional 2 x salary ends at age 65.
The employer provides a $5,000 lifetime insurance policy after that for burial.

From looking at the annual Sunshine List, a lot of people I know are doing well.

Back