• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New British Army commercial

The British are missing a huge opportunity to offload their entire family of SA 80 weapon systems on the UKR 'for freedom' so they can buy a real rifle ;)
I thought the A3 was supposed to have fixed all the bad crap.

:unsure:

I thought the A3 was supposed to have fixed all the bad crap.

:unsure:

I know guys who've used it in action in AFG etc and sounded quite happy with it, so I'm basing my perceptions on the A1 version of course.

Still, I don't see other countries clamouring for the British to sell it to them, which is always a bad sign especially when you have dozens of defence associated commitments with other countries.

Also, anyone in the UK who can get out of using it - like the SAS etc - will be using the various versions of the C8 (go Canada!!) instead.

The British are missing a huge opportunity to offload their entire family of SA 80 weapon systems on the UKR 'for freedom' so they can buy a real rifle ;)
SA80s go to Ukraine.
L1A1s come out of storage (so what if they're knackered).
Ok, look....58 pattern webbing.
Puttees and DMS boots (ok, that's a bit much).

I know guys who've used it in action in AFG etc and sounded quite happy with it, so I'm basing my perceptions on the A1 version of course.

Still, I don't see other countries clamouring for the British to sell it to them, which is always a bad sign especially when you have dozens of defence associated commitments with other countries.

Also, anyone in the UK who can get out of using it - like the SAS etc - will be using the various versions of the C8 (go Canada!!) instead.

I never like bullpups after handling an Austrian Steyr once. Never touched the SA80.

🍻

Don’t know about the SA80 but I always thought the Steyr was balanced weirdly. Far too back-heavy.
Yeah. It just felt ... wrong. I never understood why the Aussies got it.

🍻

I've used the SA 80 a few times. Once you get over where the mag housing is located and reaching over the wpn to cock it, it's a pretty good rifle. I think that I would prefer the SA 80 over the C8s that we are all supposed to be getting in the near future.

I've used the SA 80 a few times. Once you get over where the mag housing is located and reaching over the wpn to cock it, it's a pretty good rifle. I think that I would prefer the SA 80 over the C8s that we are all supposed to be getting in the near future.

"I once heard it called the "Civil Servant", as it doesn't work, and can't be fired." ;)

And also....

Don’t know about the SA80 but I always thought the Steyr was balanced weirdly. Far too back-heavy.
I did a little famil shoot on it in Afghanistan - Brits and us were sharing a range...thing kept jamming. Mind you, that was in 2003, still had that old piece of metal tube for a cocking handle instead of the ergonomic one and no rails for accessories so might have been an A1 variant.

Yeah. It just felt ... wrong. I never understood why the Aussies got it.

🍻
Beats me. The fact that you have to disassemble the damn thing to clear it (I kid you not) is weird too. You pull the barrel out and place it on top of the stock so the RSO can see down the thing.

I was surprised the Royal Marines adopted the C8 for general issue.

Talk about taking their rebranding seriously! We're so different, we don't even use those squabbie rifles anymore!"

I was surprised the Royal Marines adopted the C8 for general issue.

Talk about taking their rebranding seriously! We're so different, we don't even use those squabbie rifles anymore!"
Well, if you're going to buy Colonial, might as well go with the Colony that kinda sorta stuck around...and the "C" in C8 could even stand for "Colonial" instead of "Canadian" :cool:

Back