• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Commandant for the Infantry School

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
CFB GAGETOWN, N.B. – Lieutenant Colonel (Lt.-Col.) Craig Aitchison has become the Commandant of the Infantry School, Combat Training Centre (CTC) today {3 July}. He takes over the position from Major (Maj.) Stephen Joudrey.

Lt.-Col. Aitchison has numerous deployments, including three to the former Yugoslavia: Op CAVALIER Roto 0, Op PALLADIUM Roto 3, and Op PALLADIUM Roto 8. He has recently returned from Afghanistan where he was deployed with Op ATHENA Roto 6 as the CJ 3 at Regional Command (South) Headquarters in Kandahar.

“I am professionally and personally delighted to have been selected for this command appointment; and to have come full circle. The Infantry School offers so many opportunities to influence future leaders for the Infantry Corps, as well as the Army.  This in itself offers its own challenges and rewards” said Lt.-Col Aitchison.

The Commandant’s training philosophy develops physically fit and motivated Infantry Non-Commissioned Members (NCMs) and Officers who have a solid foundation in dismounted and mounted Infantry operations. Lt.-Col. Aitchison will both contribute to and continue that philosophy in his new role.

The mission of the Infantry School is to sustain and conduct infantry advance qualifications, advanced leadership qualifications, basic infantry officer requirements, specialized qualifications and assigned centre of excellence responsibilities on behalf of the Army

See also http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/rss/article/718656

On a historical note, this is the first time in RCR history that a father and son have commanded the same unit.

211RadOp said:
On a historical note, this is the first time in The RCR history that a father and son have commanded the same unit.

Is it acceptable if a third party points out the proper name of The Regiment? ;)

Good2Golf said:
Is it acceptable if a third party points out th :-*e proper name of The Regiment? ;)
If you're talking about The Regiment, you must be talking about the Airborne...  ;D

Jungle said:
If you're talking about The Regiment, you must be talking about the Airborne...  ;D

yes, carried away with caps...should have said, referring indirectly, to...the regiment (of discussion)...that being The RCR, vice The Regiment, although also not to be confused with the 'Regiment' in Pet today... ;)

That said, all the best to LCol Aitchison and the Infantry School.

Regards
G2G

Jungle said:

Funny thing that.  I always that that these guys were known as "The Regiment"...

Here's a question:  Does the Commandant of the infantry school wear regimental insignia, or does he wear the generic Infantry insignia?

Interesting question from dapaterson.  The Commandant, RSM and Adjutant of the Armour School wear Armour Corps insignia, as do Armour reps at DAT (IIRC).  Another interesting tidbit is that the lineäge of The Royal Canadian Regiment takes it back to the Infantry School Corps.  I'm not exactly sure of the lineäge of the current school...

I think the infantry school as a separate institution was not established until after the Second World War. Before that, the seven various permanent force infantry garrisons conducted training for the local militia regiments. During the war there were a number of infantry training centres in Canada and the UK, but no infantry school as such.

Midnight Rambler said:
Interesting question from dapaterson.  The Commandant, RSM and Adjutant of the Armour School wear Armour Corps insignia, as do Armour reps at DAT (IIRC).  Another interesting tidbit is that the lineäge of The Royal Canadian Regiment takes it back to the Infantry School Corps.  I'm not exactly sure of the lineäge of the current school...

Sounds like an episode of Jerry Springer:  "The Infantry School:  Who's your Daddy?"

But back on topic, BZ to LCol Aitchison; I knew his when he was on the Land Staff; nothing but good things to say about him; I know he'll do well in his new posting.

Old Sweat said:
I think the infantry school as a separate institution was not established until after the Second World War. Before that, the seven various permanent force infantry garrisons conducted training for the local militia regiments. During the war there were a number of infantry training centres in Canada and the UK, but no infantry school as such.

Like The RCD who originated from the Cavalry School, did not The RCR origins begin in the School of Infantry?

The regiment was formed as the Infantry School Corps on 21 December, 1883.

Back