• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CPR

I do apologize for my grammatical errors.

I’m stationed in Port Hope, Ontario at station #3.

I was referring to the Purdue study.  As I think that it will bring some interesting articles out about the ways we do CPR.

Yes we had to have training.  We took a First Responder course (Basic Life Support Pro). This course allows use to administer O2 and insert airways and a few other things.  But those are the most common things that we do.  We run about 1000 calls/year and about 70% are medical assists, meaning that if the ambulance is more than 5mins away we are toned out.  Unless it is an accident the we are automatically tone with ambulance. 

As for the Defib, we had to take an 8 hour course, and we have to be recertified every four months.

medicineman said:
I seem to recall an idea a number of years back of a 3 rescuer approach where by there was a third person compressing the abdomen in alternating synch with the chest compressor to get blood out of the abdomen.  This new method could be interesting to try, as you'd have to generate enough pressure to open the heart valves up enough for the blood to get in and escape, not to mention getting it to the lungs and brain and wherever else it's needed.  That's pushing pretty hard, pretty often, with not alot of let up.  And as SMMT stated, given that the people out there with FBS or with human abdominal parasites have alot in the way, will be that much harder.  As for the assertion that CPR is useless as a resucitation tool, the people writing the article still fail to note that CPR as a rule is a bridge and not a heart starting tool in and of itself (so I guess in the strictest sense they are correct, but they of course haven't stated the whole truth).  But that's another story I suppose.

MM

Watching the news the other day- the footage of the aftermath of an RCMP shooting showed BC paramedics using this technique- at least to my eyes. Anyone know if they are trialling this, or have adopted it for their protocol?http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/canwest-globalbc-pub01-live/current/launch.html?maven_playerId=globalbcallvideo&maven_referralPlaylistId=24845d5c80768d2d50c292ff8e60a971d5a69e38&maven_referralObject=3901495&maven_referrer=staf Not too sure if this will work, or how long t will stay live...

Nope.  That was just the guys belly jiggling.  I think someone was also putting some pressure on a bleed at some point too which could explain it.  That arrest was D/C pretty quick as the ACP shown in the clip made a patch to the hospital.  That guy was dead at the scene.  That's what happens when you pull a knife on a cop and get rounds center mass. 

We are running 2 cardiac arrest studies here right now with the ROC group.  One is the Analyze early/Late arm and the other is using the impedance threshold device that mediPea noted in her post.  Both of these have trauma as a contraindication to enrollment.

Back