• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New GG

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Multiple sources are reporting that astronaut Julie Payette will be named Canada's Governor General tomorrow.

She was in the CF as well (pilot). Did a quick Google search and could not find out who last GG was who had military service. Someone in the 60's?  Any of you learned folks know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She underwent flight training with the CAF once she was selected as an astronaut, but I don't think she was ever a CAF member.

Speaks fluent French and English, along with some Spanish, German, Italian and Russian. Jesus, I can barely get through English on a good day. Congrats to her!

dapaterson said:
She underwent flight training with the CAF once she was selected as an astronaut, but I don't think she was ever a CAF member.
I do believe you're correct DA. This quote from the CSA website threw me off:

'Ms. Payette obtained her military pilot captaincy on the Tutor CT-114 ''Snowbird'' jet at the Canadian Air Force Base in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in February 1996. She obtained her military instrument rating in 1997. She has logged more than 1300 hours of flight time'

RocketRichard said:
She was in the CF as well (pilot). Did a quick Google search and could not find out who last GG was who had military service. Someone in the 60's?  Any of you learned folks know?

Someone better fact check me on this but I think the last GG who had military service was Georges Vanier

:cheers:

Roland Michener served briefly with the RAF, according to his bio at http://www.heraldry.ca/misc/bios/bio_michener.htm.

FJAG said:
Someone better fact check me on this but I think the last GG who had military service was Georges Vanier

Thanks FJAG. I just checked and it looks like Roland Michener briefly served in the RAF.

dapaterson said:
Roland Michener served briefly with the RAF, according to his bio at http://www.heraldry.ca/misc/bios/bio_michener.htm.

That actually took quite a bit to track down and confirm. I came across one book (CW Hunt's High Flying Adventures) which has a quote from Michener which in essecnce says that:

-  in the fall of 1918 when he was 18 years old, he was in Toronto with three friends and, having joined the "Royal Air Force" he was undergoing pilot training at Jesse Ketchum school on Davenport Road at the time that the Flu epidemic hit big. The cadets were sent to work as orderlies (fumigating blankets, stretcher bearing and taking out the dead) in the wards of the 300 bed military hospital at Church and Gerrard which at the time had some 900 patients. Several of his friends and he himself contracted the flu and needed hospitalization themselves. It was some two weeks of convalescence before he finally got back to training at Long Branch. The book doesn't go on beyond that but I presume--with the end of the war and all--that he was in due course shortly after demobilized and continued on with his law school education.

I never knew that. Very interesting stuff.

I think she is an excellent choice.  Accomplished in her own right.

And the official announcement from PMJT ...
Prime Minister Trudeau announces The Queen’s approval of Canada’s next Governor General

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, today announced that, on his recommendation, Her Majesty The Queen was pleased to approve the appointment of Ms. Julie Payette as the next Governor General of Canada. Ms. Payette will serve in succession to His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston.

The installation ceremony for Ms. Payette will take place in the fall.
... and from the still-serving GG:
Message from the Governor General of Canada Following the Announcement of Canada’s 29th Governor General

BEIJING, CHINA - From Beijing, China, where I am currently undertaking an official visit with a delegation of distinguished Canadians, I am delighted to congratulate my successor, Ms. Julie Payette, on today’s announcement by Her Majesty The Queen and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, appointing her as Canada’s 29th governor general upon her installation this Fall.

Ms. Payette is one of Canada’s most remarkable and accomplished citizens, and her appointment to the position of governor general of Canada is wonderful news for our country. It’s a function I’ve been so privileged to hold for the past seven years, and I am certain that she will fulfil this role with intelligence, grace and energy, and that she will bring qualities of curiosity, courage and compassion to her mandate.

In Ms. Payette we welcome a Canadian of extraordinary achievement, admired by all, especially for her time as an astronaut who flew two missions in space. She has made Canada very proud and will continue to do so by connecting, honouring and inspiring Canadians as the next representative of Her Majesty The Queen.

It has been an immense honour to serve Canadians as governor general. My wife, Sharon, and I wish Ms. Payette the very best in her new role and offer her our fullest support and collaboration during this transition period.
Bio available here.

Well, this is an interesting development - from the Macleans article link ...
This post has been deleted. It contained incorrect information stating that Billie Flynn was married to Julie Payette. Maclean’s regrets the error.
Standby for a bit of editing subject to further confirmation, one way or another ...
Milnet.ca Staff

I have never been so heartbroken to learn of a couple's demise.

My dreams are now shattered.

Perhaps I'll seek solace in the bottle.

CBC latest:

Payette, who has been married twice and is currently single, is the mother of a 14-year-old son...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/julie-payette-governor-general-1.4202793

Mark
Ottawa

Loachman said:
I have never been so heartbroken to learn of a couple's demise.

My dreams are now shattered.

Perhaps I'll seek solace in the bottle.
Maybe it's more how you found out ...

milnews.ca said:
Well, this is an interesting development - from the Macleans article link ...Standby for a bit of editing subject to further confirmation, one way or another ...
Milnet.ca Staff

This is what happens when you use Wikipedia as your sole source of information. The page has since been corrected.

Back