• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Governor General Service Medal?

Should the Governor General issue a Volunteer Service Medal for General Service?

• Yes

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • No, too expensive

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Just for trades that dont see theatre action

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No

Votes: 35 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Towards_the_gap said:
What more do those who have served need? already there's veterans plates, the RCL, regt'l assoc's and tie's/blazers, Veterans Day, Veterans Affairs Canada, Veterans Memorial Parkways.........

And the greatest equalizer of them all. The National Military Cemetery of Canada.

Show stopper mariomike!

Great Comment. Reminds me of the story of the WWII boundary of the Big Red One. Sign stated "1st US Infantry Division, Second To None".  Brit unit next door, erected one word signage: "None"

Journeyman said:
Nice rant; what's a squizz?

The bottom line, from the poll numbers at the top and the comments posted, is that serving CF members see no need for this medal. If you're that desperate for bling, join the Frontiersmen.

ps - spell check is free; give it a shot.

JM,

Its no rant, just an opinion set forth in a polite fashion to enhance a positive debate, nothing more.

A small and old poll of just 40 for, and 56 against is really baseless. In reality, I think we all can agree that the federal government informed by 1000's of its citizens rallying for this award will decide. I am sure there are dozens of thousands of former Mbrs from all services and their families who would appreciate such.

In time, this award may come about (and maybe not), and you, I and others who meet the criteria might/will be awarded it. What you do with it is your business.

As for 'bling' as you call it, personally I have more respect for anyone's medals than that, as many have been killed and wounded wearing the same ones that I have been awarded.

As I said, the idea for this type of medal has worked here, and this is what the Cdn award is in many ways being based on. Anyone interested can re-read the criteria for the Australian Defence Medal.

As for your affection with the english language, squizz is in the Australian dictionary, and is used as often as the word 'the' here. We still spell things correctly to the Queen's version. Tyre, neighbour etc, as there is no Americanisation of english here (yet). Your link providing rude sexual alternative definitions of the word 'squizz' is rather tasteless, insulting and unnecessary and most likely violates the guidlines of this fine site. If you already knew what the word meant, why post the link?

As for my spelling errors, these are entirely my own, as spell check refuses to load on this site for me (times out), it was early and I had to get to work. I simply missed these errors. I am an educated man, been around for over half a century, and for these errors, I appologise.

We all have opinions JM, and I am for such an award to our Veterans (living and dead), and you (and others) are not, and thats fair enough.

Time will tell for this award.

Kind regards,

OWDU

Edited for spelling :)

Overwatch Downunder said:
In reality, I think we all can agree that the federal government informed by 1000's of its citizens rallying for this award will decide.
:rofl:

...oh, you were serious.
A Facebook petition will compel the government to create an unnecessary medal?

Wow. I'm done

Your posts are unproductive and somewhat rude, but think what you must. The petition I viewed and signed was not a facebook one, I reseached the subject on google.

No matter how info is gathered these days, thousands of signatures are still that, and an election year is coming. Like I said, time will tell about this award. You might be correct, and on the other hand this award might come to be reality.

The ADM happened here with success, public input to the federal government over a few years and the ADM was adopted ADF wide. Its not an unnecessary medal in this country, and I am quite proud of mine.

JM, you don't have to post a link on this site to porograhic/offensive material to prove whatever point you are attempting to make, or to make myself or any other member on here look like a fool, its really unbecomming.

Do have a happy day.

OWDU

EDITed for clarity, and to add the link in question has been deleted by the Mods.

I think everyone has had enough proselytizing and sanctimonious indignation.

Mods will do their jobs when it is required.

Enough.

Milnet.ca Staff

Well anyways, if they don't award it...good. There are more important things to spend money on.

And if they do go ahead with it and issue it? I'll send mine right back.

TTG, fair enough. Thanks for you positive input here allbeit against this award, but honest, and this is admired. I do see exactly where you are coming from.

Like I said, the idea works here, and we cannot please everyone. The original Australian award was to be for 6 yrs, and this was changed to 4. Time will tell where this Canadian version of this award will go.

Your answer above, although I do not agree is respected.

Cheers,

OWDU

EDITed for mispelling Canadian  ::)

OWDU - although I do not agree with the medal myself I would like to congratulate you on your well mannered posts and info points in support of it.  Keep up the good work.

grouphug.gif

;D

CDC, thanks for the kind words.

This is what Palmer had to say about the Australian Defence Medal.....

Recently our ally, our commonwealth colleague Australia honoured their Veterans and their Troops with a Medal that was approved by Her Majesty the Queen in March of 2006...the Australian Defence Medal (ADM). The ADM is retroactive to 3 September 1945 and it is estimated the issue will be approximately 1 million. What are we as Canadians so ashamed of and so embarrassed about when it comes to righting the wrong that occurred in 1947 with the cessation of our Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (CVSM)?

Like I have said, the Medal/idea sucessfully works here. No backbiting, bellyaching or whinging.

Regards,

Wes

If the will of the government is behind it, then it will likely happen - but I must take issue with the suggested name.  What ass-hat decided it should be at the behest of the GG?

Canada Defence Medal - Okay
Queen's Canadian Volunteer Service Medal - Sure!
Canadian Volunteer Service Medal - Homage to the original, absolutely!

GGCVSM?  No thank you.

Well, if she's going to do it, she better get at it before Harper replaces her. These things aren't done overnight. Which makes me think it won't happen anyway. At least not out of that office and not this term.

Corps of Guides said:
If the will of the government is behind it, then it will likely happen - but I must take issue with the suggested name.  What ***-hat decided it should be at the behest of the GG?

Canada Defence Medal - Okay
Queen's Canadian Volunteer Service Medal - Sure!
Canadian Volunteer Service Medal - Homage to the original, absolutely!

GGCVSM?  No thank you.

Good point - if they are going to do it then just call it what it is  - Canadian Volunteer Service Medal gets my vote for name.

Arguing for or against a new medal based on the naming is a red herring (would that be less of a focus if the GG was a retired and well-respected General?), the underlying question is "will it serve a necessary purpose and have a creditable place among existing and past medals which recognized periods of service?"

Is there and age/years of service gap here?

Do some (many? most?) younger/junior people favour medals over e.g. wound stripes or chevrons for service?

Would those who prefer the Sacrifice Medal to wound strips and a CVSM (or whatever) over service chevrons also prefer a marksmanship medal over a sleeve badge?

SHP_AUTO_RIFLE_Q_Bar___Obverse.jpg
versus
qualifications%201978%20marksman%20master.jpg

(I know it's not the right badge, but it's the closest I could find.)

Is it bling over drab cloth or is just because others (mostly the Americans, but the Australians, too) have it?

Or am I waaaaay off base, again?  :-\

E.R. Campbell said:
Or am I waaaaay off base, again?  :-\

It's bling.  The target market appears to be all those re-awakened past members who served without operational deployments and did not stay in long enough for a CD.  They want to reconnect and have something to wear at the Legion, at the cenotaph and anywhere else they want to share the renewed attention to the CF and those who (have) serve(d).

I don't think anyone was really arguing for or against the medal based on name, I think the point was that if we are going to have it then lets at least give it a proper name and leave the GG out of it.

Here is another question:

Does everyone get the medal regardless of release reason?  example - Johnny gets booted for using drugs too many times, does he deserve a medal to show off? 

I fear this new medal will be insufficiently inclusive.  Therefore, I propose another new decoration:

The TAJUBNGMAOTC, or  "Thought  About Joining Up But Never Got My Ass Off The Couch" medal.

Medal Front:
464621041_1601057ada.jpg

Medal Reverse:
six-pack.jpg

CountDC said:
I don't think anyone was really arguing for or against the medal based on name, I think the point was that if we are going to have it then lets at least give it a proper name and leave the GG out of it.

Here is another question:

Does everyone get the medal regardless of release reason?  example - Johnny gets booted for using drugs too many times, does he deserve a medal to show off?

Check out the Australian criteria.

I have never heard of someone getting a 'dishonourable', and getting the medal, for starters you must do a mininum of 4 yrs service and/or met the critera for this award.

Cheers,

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back