• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New IRP / Move policy-effective Dec 01, 2017 [Merged]

Looks like some new and better benefits.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-benefits/know-your-benefits-articles/relocation-policy-update.page

What’s new for APS 2018:

Penalties for early repayment when mortages cannot be ported will be covered;
    Mortgage default insurance, covering the cost of insurance when downpayments are under 20 per cent will be covered;
    Expenses related to up to four additional days when required for house hunting trips will be reimbursed as a custom benefit instead of a personalized benefit;
    Doubling the core benefit limit for home equity assistance from $15,000 to $30,000;
    Increasing the time limit to two years, with the possibility for extensions, for a member’s final move to their intended place of residence (IPR);
    Ten days are added to the policy for interim lodging, meals, and other expenses, to provide a degree of flexibility when members are arranging the possession date of a new home (a slight relaxation of the “door-to-door” policy);
    Service couples now have the option to relocate independently when posted to two different places of duty;
    The weight restriction for shipment of household goods and effects to and from Goose Bay, NL, is removed;
    The entitlement to long term storage of household goods and effects is expanded to include postings to any locations outside of Canada and postings to any isolated post; and
    Some relocation benefits for releasing, untrained Regular Force members will be paid.

In addition, the following benefits will no longer be offered: 

The “Capital Improvements” provision is repealed.  This benefit reimbursed members for some limited capital improvements to their residence if, when they sold their homes, they did not recuperate the full cost of those improvements; 
    Several incentives which paid members for not doing things will also be repealed:                       
    -    Payment for shortened house hunting trip;
    -    Payment for not using Long Term Storage or shipping major appliances;
    -    Payment for not taking additional rooms on a house hunting trip; and
    -    Payment not to ship or store a vehicle.

Details of all the changes can be found in CANFORGEN 073/18.

I saw that some benefits are cancelled.  What is grandfather clause if people already made commitments that were based on the expectation that these benefits would be in place?

I expect that the standard response will be that exceptions to policy will be determined on an individual basis. No blanket grandfathering approved.

At first, I thought that the impacts would be negligible for the cancelled entitlements, but one or two may in fact have influenced financial decisions:
    -    Payment for shortened house hunting trip; (I don't think this has a financial impact)
    -    Payment for not using Long Term Storage or shipping major appliances; (you may have sold appliances with the intention of using the funds to buy new upon return)
    -    Payment for not taking additional rooms on a house hunting trip; and (no real financial impact, just the inconvenience of cramming everyone into one room)
    -    Payment not to ship or store a vehicle; (may sold a vehicle expecting to use the funds to purchase another at new location with additional funds)

That said, the gains far outweigh the losses for most people moving.

captloadie said:
That said, the gains far outweigh the losses for most people moving.

Especially those first 3! I spent so much time talking back and fourth between my mortgage broker, my mortgage lender, colleagues and friends trying to parse out the rules and the math with renewing my mortgage knowing that I was moving in 12 months. A 5 year variable non portable mortgage provided significant savings over a 1 year fixed or variable, but I would have to pay a penalty when I broke it. Now, I don't have to worry! I can always just go get the best rate, and not even care (more or less) how long the term is.

Not having a 20% downpayment will no longer deter or younger sailors/soldiers/airpersons from entering the home ownership club, which I think is a great positive. It will also help out those more senior ppl who make good money but get posted to Victoria or Toronto and just can't afford a %20 downpayment on the houses there.

It may be wise to remember that when the mortgage insurance was covered before, it was not applicable for first time home buyers and in order for it to be covered, you had to use all of your equity from the sale of your previous house towards the down payment on your new house.

kev994 said:
I used it as a first time buyer in 2007
Really?  Interesting.  When I bought my first house it wasn't covered.

garb811 said:
Really?  Interesting.  When I bought my first house it wasn't covered.
I lie, I pulled my contract and it looks like I paid it. Sorry for he confusion.

Does anyone else have a problem with the BGRS apps randomly changing claims? I have had to redo the drop downs for my meal itinerary numerous times because it doesn’t save as what I have selected. It’s getting to be a bit enraging.

I just bought a house with a septic bed, and a condition we added was a septic inspection. My TPSP home inspector doesn't inspect septic systems, so we need to find someone else who will.

Does anyone know if we REALLY need to/should  have it inspected; and
Does anyone know if they were able to claim this with Brookfield if it's not covered by the normal home inspector?

This is on my radar as well. Wells and septic systems can be a liability - I know a couple people that have been burned. if you can swing it and get a competent inspector, I'd go for it.

I may soon find myself in a similar position, so I'd also be curious to know if you can get it covered.

I noticed a blurb in the cfirp specifically about septic inspection and that it includes pumping it out to inspect it. I can’t remember exactly what it says, I only glanced at it

Lumber said:
I just bought a house with a septic bed, and a condition we added was a septic inspection. My TPSP home inspector doesn't inspect septic systems, so we need to find someone else who will.

Does anyone know if we REALLY need to/should  have it inspected; and
Does anyone know if they were able to claim this with Brookfield if it's not covered by the normal home inspector?

My advice would be to get it done. Period.  You could literally find yourself in a world of sh*t if you don't.  Then, file a claim for it.  If it's paid, great!  If not, such is life.  Don't make serious decisions based on whether IRP will pay for something.  It's not a question of whether you can afford it - you can't afford not to.  In the longer term, if it's not reimbursed and you feel it should be, go through the adjudication/grievance process.

Incidentals

I'm working on my HHT claim, and I can't claim x2 incidentals, once for me and once for my spouse. There is simply no way to do it on the website/app.

Is that a problem with Brookfield, or am interpreting the entitlements incorrectly? The IRP isn't crystal clear.

4.3.01 says that you should be getting incidentals for your spouse on your HHT.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch4.page#sec-04-03

Sounds like a UI issue with Brookfield.

(Out of curiosity: Where are you headed?)

Good catch, that happened with mine as well.  I reported the computer accounting error to my rep.

...and now that issue is getting fixed.  While the turn-around times on submitted claims is abysmal, the reps are quite responsive.

Infanteer said:
...and now that issue is getting fixed.  While the turn-around times on submitted claims is abysmal, the reps are quite responsive.

I just submitted my HHT and Home Inspeciton claims last night. I'll post how long they take to action for comparison.

Just got feedback - the policy isn't written very clearly.  Check Chapter 1.4 under definitions:

Incidentals
When on an HHT or DIT means the Treasury Board Incidental Travel Rate payable to one family unit only (including the CF member) anytime CF members or dependants are on travel status. Incidentals are intended to pay for expenses such as, but not limited to, gratuities, dry cleaning, laundry, bottled water, phone calls, home grass cutting, snow removal, home security check, plant watering, mail services, pet care, telecommunications hook-ups and service.

So, while on HHT you're only entitled to one set of incidental expenses for your entire family.

I recommend using the recourse mechanism in the policy; I am reasonably sure that 1.4 is being misinterpreted. 

Back