• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New MO, looks like Petawawa!

CF Doc

Inactive
Reaction score
Recently got the word (unofficially of course, so this could change) that I will likely be posted to 2 fd amb Petawawa this summer.

Just wondering if there is anyone attached to the same who could shed some light on what it's like. Keep in mind I am one of those Civi U types completely green (no pun intended) to the military, but looking forward to it!

Will likely be visiting the base in the spring.

Thanks.

Well congrats. I hope you are not the type that prefers the big city. If you are more of an outdoorsy type then Pet and area is pretty good.

For work outside the military there are 2 Hospitals fairly close by in Pembroke and Deep River, and one a bit further in Bancroft which are always looking for a MD to take up some of their ER shifts. It is not too fast or exciting but its avail.

As for military work, Petawawa / 2 CMBG which 2 Fd Amb supports is just coming off a deployment cycle where they were very busy. So when you arrive the training for the next set of deployments should be well under way.

As for the Med Techs etc you'll be working with, they are some of the best. Most of the senior ones will have come back from Afghanistan, some having just served their 2nd or 3rd tour there. Most of them have also served on one or more DART missions. So you will be getting alot of medical experience.

If you enjoy teaching and letting your medics try and do more advanced skills, you'll be in with them. Respect them and make every interaction about them learning something, its all good.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like I won't be getting bored any time soon!

Can't wait!

Welcome to the Canadian Forces medical team! ;D  Don't worry about being green Doc, you will receive your BOTC ( Basic Officer Training Course) as well as BMOC ( Basic Medical Officer Course) which will give you the basic tools you require for the CF. The remainder you will learn as you go under the wing of a good Sgt I'm sure. ;) As St Michael's mentioned 2 Fd Amb is an extremely busy unit that is involved in rotations in Afghanistan as well as special operations when required such as DART (Disaster Area Response Team). You will never be bored and you will get more exciting experiences than any other job in the world.  :salute: :cdn:

Plus there is always the opportunity to do shifts in the area hospitals, clinics and there is the PCFHC which is always looking for Docs, there has been a few from the base give a few shifts as their schedule permits and when they aren't on tour....see a little mor of the family medicine side of things at these places in addition to the military side

Back