• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New online application and 1-5scale

What the score is and its use has actually been discussed on this forum, if anyone had actually taken the time to search instead of just presuming knowledge they don't have.  I know for a fact this information is on this forum, because I made the posts myself, when I was working in recruiting.

Sylencer said:
Hello. Recently someone i know applied for the Canadian Forces. He applied for Infantry.  After about 60 days of waiting he called his local recruiting centre. They innititally told him they didn't recieve his file yet and they looked into another database. After which he was then told that he will have to reapply for the military because he only rated a 3 out of 5 on a scale and he needed to reach a 4 for infantry.

My only question is what is this scale, and if he never even made it passed the online application, what could this scale be based on.  Quick background on him is extremely fit, and has his GED. 

Applying to the Forces is no different than applying for any other job, I can't say it any differently!  It is incumbent upon yourself to submit the "best" possible application that you can.  The "scale" is based on the application which is submitted.  So if this person you know took 10 minutes of their time to complete the application, then they probably never put forth their best submission.  Hence, the end result.

So to answer your question of "What is this scale?"  The scale is based on each and every part of the employment application.  Example, Part F - "During the past 5 years, select in years your total amount of work experience, include full and part-time, seasonal, temporary and volunteer work?"  So if an applicant chose "None" on the application, then they would get "ZERO", exactly the same type of scoring that would/is used by the private sector and or other government agencies when screening applicants.

If you are serious about applying to the CF, then you should be downloading a paper application, filling it out "off line", reviewing it and once you are satisfied that you are ready to present your "best" self, then go online and do the application.

What is generally missing in all of this, is that people fail to understand that they are appying for a "job" and that "job" just so happens to be with the CF.  The CF is no different than any other employer.

Would you walk into any local company looking to hire and take 10 minutes to throw down your name and phone number?  And then expect to get hired?

DAA said:
Applying to the Forces is no different than applying for any other job, I can't say it any differently!  It is incumbent upon yourself to submit the "best" possible application that you can.  The "scale" is based on the application which is submitted.  So if this person you know took 10 minutes of their time to complete the application, then they probably never put forth their best submission.  Hence, the end result.

So to answer your question of "What is this scale?"  The scale is based on each and every part of the employment application.  Example, Part F - "During the past 5 years, select in years your total amount of work experience, include full and part-time, seasonal, temporary and volunteer work?"  So if an applicant chose "None" on the application, then they would get "ZERO", exactly the same type of scoring that would/is used by the private sector and or other government agencies when screening applicants.

If you are serious about applying to the CF, then you should be downloading a paper application, filling it out "off line", reviewing it and once you are satisfied that you are ready to present your "best" self, then go online and do the application.

What is generally missing in all of this, is that people fail to understand that they are appying for a "job" and that "job" just so happens to be with the CF.  The CF is no different than any other employer.

Would you walk into any local company looking to hire and take 10 minutes to throw down your name and phone number?  And then expect to get hired?

:goodpost:

Back