• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Threshold "Fitness Testing" at BMQ/BMOQ

AlphaBravo said:
Is it just me or is the new fitness test easier then the old one?

It's subjective.  I know a few people who have failed the 20m rushes by mere seconds. 

That is understandable, the rushes do seem like they may be a problem for some. That 51 second interval doesn't seem long enough in my honest opinion, I know for myself I can do it a second under and that's on grassy/hilly terrain and I am still a little bit worried about it haha.

PMedMoe said:
It's subjective.  I know a few people who have failed the 20m rushes by mere seconds.

The rest of the force test has ample time to complete but the rushes you really have to push yourself as well as not fault during the testing to make the 51 seconds.

aquaholic75 said:
The rest of the force test has ample time to complete but the rushes you really have to push yourself as well as not fault during the testing to make the 51 seconds.

Yeah, I've done it, no problem.  I personally found it was more about technique than speed.  It's pretty difficult to "push yourself" when you have to drop every 10 meters at a specific point (shoulders and hands behind the line).  Also, I think at the turn around point, people were still under the assumption that they had to hit the back line (as you did during the shuttle run on the ExPres) which cost them time.

PMedMoe said:

Intermittent Loaded Shuttles: Using the 20 metre lines, complete ten 20 metre shuttles alternating between a loaded shuttle with a 20 kilogram sand bag and unloaded shuttles, for a total of 400 metres. Standard: 5 minutes 21 seconds.

You have a better description of what this means? I really don't get what its saying.

BeyondTheNow said:
The shuttle run is not used anymore.

The thread is about the Threshold Test, which, AFAIK, is still using the Shuttle Run.

DAHOK987 said:
I walk 6k a day, 3k with 5 pound weights in hand, and the other 3k, I throw jogging in as much as I can. I have done training, not that I haven't, I just haven't outright went out for a run because I know I'll go 200 feet and run out of breath. My first few questions was how to increase lung capacity, thats my main worry.

Running isn't easy. It's rewarding because it isn't easy.  You need to increase your cardiovascular capacity in general, which means pushing your heart and lungs.  You need to get yourself winded, that's what makes the body adapt.  Solution: Run.  Google "Couch to 5k", and go with one of those plans.  Running will also develop more strength in your musculoskeletal system, building up the tendons and ligaments in your legs and increasing bone density, increasing performance and decreasing injury risk in BMQ.  Your loaded walks also helped with these, but not quite to the same extent as running would (or strength training, which really can't be beat for this).

So I say again: Run.

Oh, and for the rushes: do burpees.  Seriously.  Getting a good pop off the ground is the key to a good time on the rushes.  As PMedMoe said, it's all technique.

Griffon said:
The thread is about the Threshold Test, which, AFAIK, is still using the Shuttle Run.

My mistake. In looking at the link PMedMoe posted, there is indeed a "shuttle" component. I believe I was thinking of the 'beep test'. I was also going strictly by the printout handed to me by my RC, which did not include the shuttle portion in the breakdown as described in that link, which caused me confusion also.

I will now step back...carry on.

I did the rushes recently when I took my Force test and finished with ample time left. The trick I found was to use your backward momentum (after you touch the line with your foot) to drop to the ground, instead of stopping then dropping to the ground. But you have to be pretty fast and if you have trouble with running, then nothing is guaranteed.

If you have trouble running 200 fts, start running now, there's really no excuse. You'll be winded, but as you increase your heartbeat, your cardio will get better, thus increasing the distance you can do in your next run. Pace your breathing and concentrate on it, taking full breaths, instead of focusing on other things. Being in the zone is a big part of running, and at least for me, that's how I do it. Bottom line is, you seem to want reassurance more than to actually do anything right now. You need to do, that's the best security you'll get. It's not just about "passing" BMQ, but if you get out there and you're the load during the runs, and you don't improve fast, your platoon mates will really hate you because the entire platoon will get the joy of doing more pushups (for being late) and will get less time to eat/ do ablutions.

Griffon said:
Google "Couch to 5k", and go with one of those plans.

I looked those plans up, and like what I see. But I have two weeks, not two months. Should I start from the beginning, or skip ahead a bit?

You can definitely skip ahead, it all depends on how long you can run now. But don't try too push it too hard, you'll end up causing more harm than good. You'll have to use your own judgement. You're not in the ideal position, but you're doing something about it and that's all you can do now!

DAHOK987 said:
Again, I don't care about the odds, as long as their a chance, I'll make it.

Says you,who knows nothing about BMQ life and the Mega.

Me, as a former BMQ instructor at the Mega, have seen out of shape candidates injure themselves carrying their civie kit from their car up to their floor in the Mega;  you aren't allowed to use the elevators.

"As long as there's a chance" isn't usually a great way to plan for success.  :2c:

I'm not trying to be mean, I am trying to be realistic, based on years of experience instructing on / being a candidate on various courses.

Cheers

Eye In The Sky said:
Says you,who knows nothing about BMQ life and the Mega.

Me, as a former BMQ instructor at the Mega, have seen out of shape candidates injure themselves carrying their civie kit from their car up to their floor in the Mega;  you aren't allowed to use the elevators.

"As long as there's a chance" isn't usually a great way to plan for success.  :2c:

I'm not trying to be mean, I am trying to be realistic, based on years of experience instructing on / being a candidate on various courses.

Cheers

This happened to a guy in January - serious injury too (couple months, I believe)
Hope hes ok, and he'll know who i mean if he reads this and replies.

DAHOK987 said:
I looked those plans up, and like what I see. But I have two weeks, not two months. Should I start from the beginning, or skip ahead a bit?

Just work out 2 hours or so, and walk for the rest of the day. Every day.
The most important thing you can do is eat properly and just be outside doing physical things.

Im 60 pounds overweight and ran a 5 minute kilometer, after my trainers leg routine, followed by 50m x 10 sprints.
Throwing up at this point is actually pleasant, because I get to rest.

Its all in how much you want it!

Just started running not long ago, and while there are a few things I could go on about that would be helpful. Here are two videos containing tips I found made a big difference, even for me who used to never run :

Note - yes you will look 'goofy' practicing the some of the drills from the second video, but get over it.... It works, and not just for people who are already runners...  Trust me it pays off fast. 

http://youtu.be/9zkapadQwHk

&

http://youtu.be/mAiAvupFT6g

Hope is not a method.

I had something more written out, but I want to be nice on Sundays.

Curious question here, in regards to Reserves Fitness testing have they switched over to the new FORCE testing or is it still the EXPRES test?

Currently in the application process for the army reserves and just did Force test on April 7th.

I was given the same sheet after completion of my interview and medical.
this seems to be the new testing standards. there have been several videos on youtube via the canadianforces channel and on the website.
i would expect all of these tests if not all but the sand bag lift. but i have no idea yet.
all i can do is keep prepping.

Back