• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new USCG Legend class cutter now operational

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This article is already a couple of weeks old; I'm suprised that no one has posted it yet here.

USCGC Bertholf, lead ship of the new Legend-class cutters:
800px-USCGC_Bertholf_WMSL-750.jpg

Acquisition Update: Coast Guard's Newest Cutter To Arrive Home
July 21, 2008
Old Guard Meets The Future In San Francisco Bay

ALAMEDA, Calif. - The U.S. Coast Guard's first National Security Cutter, Bertholf, is scheduled to arrive at its home port at Coast Guard Island here for the first time Wednesday at 11 a.m., as the final destination of its homecoming tour.

Bertholf is the lead ship in the new Legend class of cutters designed to be the flagship of the modern Coast Guard fleet. Bertholf will improve operational readiness and enable the Coast Guard to fulfill its multi-mission roles more effectively through better sea keeping, higher sustained transit speeds, greater endurance and range, and a greater ability to launch and recover improved small boats, helicopters, and eventually unmanned aerial vehicles - all key attributes in enabling the Coast Guard to implement increased security responsibilities.
"Bertholf is not just the first of the new Legend Class of Cutters, it is the benchmark for all future cutters and represents a new era of Coast Guard surface operations," said Capt. Patrick H. Stadt, Commanding Officer of Bertholf. "Most of us in the crew have been together for the last two years, training to operate the ship; for the last six months we've been away from our families while getting the ship ready for this day when we get to bring Bertholf to the Bay Area. I think I speak for everyone aboard when I say we've been counting down the days. It's great to finally be home," he said.

Bertholf's crew transferred, in four phases beginning in January 2008, from Alameda to the Gulf Coast, where they completed their pre-delivery training then took control of the first Legend Class Cutter at Northrop Grumman's shipyard in Pascagoula, Miss., on May 8, 2008

While in Mississippi, the crew continued their aggressive hands on training and familiarization regime. They worked with Coast Guard Pacific Area, Afloat Training Group Pacific and Aviation Training Center Mobile to ensure the cutter was ready for the patrol home.

The 125-person crew brought Bertholf to a number of east coast port calls including Pensacola, Fla., Miami, Annapolis, Md, and Baltimore. Each stop gave Coast Guard leadership, government leaders and other stakeholders an opportunity to see the new cutter. After completing the east coast patrol, Bertholf headed south and then through the Panama Canal.

During the patrol, Bertholf crewmembers continued to explore the capabilities of the Coast Guard's newest cutter. In addition to small boat and helicopter operations, the crew of Bertholf conducted live fire exercises on all of their weapons systems, including the Mk 110 57mm gun, Close-In Weapons System (CIWS) Block 1B, and .50 caliber machine guns.

Bertholf is the first of eight national security cutters to be built for the Coast Guard. The cutter's fitting motto, "Legends Begin Here" was established on June, 26, 2006. Bertholf was christened on November 11, 2006, Veterans' Day, and is named after Commodore Ellsworth P. Bertholf, the first Commandant of the Coast Guard. A formal commissioning ceremony is scheduled to take place at Coast Guard Island, Alameda, Calif., on Aug. 4, 2008.

For more information on Coast Guard cutter Bertholf visit www.uscg.mil/pacarea/bertholf/

http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/newsroom/updates/nsc072108.asp

Replacing the Hamilton class in service since the 60's

Guys,
She still a young ships, she only bee in commission for about, shes like 2-mouths and 15-days old, now.. She still cool..
Nikki

NASAAN101 said:
Guys,
She still a young ships, she only bee in commission for about, shes like 2-mouths and 15-days old, now.. She still cool..
Nikki

You might want to take a closer look at the date of all the other posts, Nikki.  They're from 2008.

Guys,
Well, Stubid me.. Sorry!!! She a year or so old now, so that was my bad..
Nikki

Since the thread is awake, this wiki page has an interesting comment on crewing, Canada uses the 2 crews for one hull in the Coast Guard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Bertholf_(WMSL-750)

some good video of the ship

http://coastguardnews.com/video-coast-guard-cutter-bertholf/2009/03/05/

Other than that, there does not appear to be much news about the new ship, which should be a sign that she is settling in well.

Guys,
This might be taking this a little off topic, but I have two Friends(Charles Whitley and Lislie foran), As well as my farther Bud Rump Who were in the US coast Guard.. So what do you gusy think..
Nikki

Is a farther somewhat more distantly related than a Father?  :)

I am glad your 'farther" was in the USCG, what ships did he serve in?

Guys,
My dad served on the 40-footer during the Vietnam War, but he didn't go over there, he stay in the states, pulling body out of the New York Bay! He was in four 6 years, four year active.. But I've see the Cutter Taney,  she's in Baltimore's inner harbor!
Nikki

The 40' utility boat was the standard light duty cutter operating from  shore station generally with  crew of 3-5 people, they did everything from SAR, patrols, Nav-aids, etc
Open cockpit, with a small cabin forward, with twin 6-71 Detroit's. They were supported in service by 36'  44" self-righting lifeboats, 52', 82', 95' cutters. The 40' was replace by the 41' which is still in service today.

Canada used the 40' as a RCAF Crashboat, although they placed a roof over the wheel and removed the wheel from insdie the cabin. They were good seaboats, but wet and hard on the crews. The Canadian Coast Guard took over a number of the RCAF crashboats in 1964 when the CCG was formed.

You can see one here being hit by a hydroplane during a race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAMusZgs38

Colin P,
This might be going off this topic, but the two Coast guard stations were at shark River and sandy Hook Light station! But about the New Cutter, I found two video about her.. Were can i find any newer photos of her?
Nikki

I believe the USCG has a active historical archive which might be able to give you the information you seek, check their websites. Sandy Hook is District 1, shark River is District 5.

http://wikimapia.org/10269488/US-Coast-Guard-Station-Sandy-Hook

http://wikimapia.org/1146384/United-States-Coast-Guard-Station-Shark-River

Colin P,
i thing that what my dad said to.. But about the New Cutter, I found two video about her.. Were can i find any newer photos of her?
Nikki

Google image is your friend and likely best source
http://images.google.ca/images?q=USCGC%20Bertholf&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGIE_en&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Back