• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Next QL3 for Med Tech?

blbenzies

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone know when the next one is starting up? Or when they release that kind of info so I can watch out for it?

blbenzies said:
Anyone know when the next one is starting up? Or when they release that kind of info so I can watch out for it?

Late May and then Mid-Jun.

But keep in mind that *most* medics had to wait anywhere up to a year following SQ/BMQ-L before they started their 3s. And then it's likely another 24 month wait (minimum) before your 5s.

sarahsmom said:
But keep in mind that *most* medics had to wait anywhere up to a year following SQ/BMQ-L before they started their 3s. And then it's likely another 24 month wait (minimum) before your 5s.

Hence, that's the reason the occupation is flagged as a "threshold occupation", in order to prevent exactly what you are describing above with regards to the QL3 training part.  The QL5 trg, is a function of service and normally done 18-24 months after QL3 qualification for most occupations, so it's not uncommon.

So the "*most* medics" that you refer to and I am sure there are many, were more than likely enrolled outside the threshold "window(s)".

But I bet those soon to be trained Medics were getting a "pay cheque", as opposed to waiting around until the stars aligned in their favour.

There is also a plan in the works to decrease the backlog of Med Tech candidates as we move forward with the new QL3 Med Tech curriculum which is supposed to start in September.  I know a number of people are working on the plan so it has to be a serious option being considered.

There is not movement afoot to decrease the targeted 18 months between QL3 and QL5A Med Tech.  This is especially true with the new QL5A curriculum which is supposed to start in Jan 15.  There is a desire based on the last set of briefings I saw through that Med Techs during the interlude will get a rotation at the Simulation Centre in Valcartier and partake is some of the Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program in order to set the conditions for success on the new QL5A's .

The added benefit is that the Med Tech's with the new Scope of Practice and course are more employable as QL3's right out of QL3 so they need not wait for QL5A for some of the taskings they did in the past.

MC

Seen and agree with everything DAA and MedCorps have stated.
I had just noticed that the OP was still in the recruiting process, and did not want them planning their future on course dates that probably wouldn't affect them.
Definitely all the medics I know (myself included) got paid while waiting for their course to start. I even got to go do some OJT/OJE for 6 months which was invaluable as an experience.
Thanks!

There was almost 300 PATs in January, when Ottawa intervened. They started a course of 30 PCP qualified Med Techs in Jan, then 30 non PCP Feb 10, and another group of 30 non PCP just started Mar 10. There are 90 QL3's on course right now, and the next course is being run in Sept with the new curriculum, and it will be a mix of 12 PCP qualified with 12 non-PCP. It is already full and the course after that starts in January (for Anglo). I waited 9 months on PAT Pl, and other people waited much longer. If Ottawa had't intervened with those three QL3 courses, some would have been waiting up to two years.

The new QL3 curriculum has added 27 training days to the course, so if you are not PCP qualified, you are looking at over a year on course when all if said and done.

Good Luck.

I've been in the infantry for four years so I'm getting a by-pass on BMQ/SQ and will be heading straight to my QL3s as my first course. Hopefully this is good news to possibly get slated onto one of those courses (Jan, maybe?). My recruiter and broker said I should be getting a call around April time.

Waiting on PAT Pl. is not too much of a concern for me. Just excited to do the first move and start the next chapter!

Back