• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No lnking to milnet.ca?

D

DavidAkin

So I'm hanging out at everyone's favourite Milblog - The Torch --  and there's a graphic in the middle of Mark's latest post that says:
"Milnet.ca: Please do not hotlink to images on Milnet.ca"  [http://army.ca/forums/Smileys/Armyca/sm_salute.gif]

What's the story behind that?

Why can't we link to images on Milnet.ca?

Many sites with desirable graphics deny hotlinking to protect their own bandwidth.

If it is not a copyrighted image, then he should save it to his own server and link to it there.  Or he might request permission from the owner of arny.ca to hotlink.

It's an automatic feature I put on the server, so when images are hotlinked on other sites, the "notice" image shows up instead of the real image. The intent is (as Michael said) to prevent people from simply linking to images here and using our bandwidth for images that appear on their site.

In The Torch's case it's not a big deal... but I can't easily tell the server who our friends are. ;)

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike ;D.  But I took out the photos anyway--didn't look good with the warning.

Mark
Ottawa

It appears I did the same thing...  I gave a link to someone on facebook... clicked the link to ensure it worked for him... and now I have huge images that say Please do not hotlink to images on milnet.ca...
Umm... How can I make it disappear?

REALLY? I'll send you a link...
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/65070.0.html

You should check out the army.ca forums... that's how most of the people in our group for BMQ found each other. There's alot of good information... but a warning before you start posting questions on it or whatever... learn how to use the search function or some folks will get mad. The question has probably been asked a million times before... It's a good resource... I found alot of little tips that I think will help me alot and prepared me alot.

But anywho, there's the actual instructions for the autobiography.

Hold CTRL or SHIFT and click the reload/refresh button. One works for IE and one for Firefox.

Back