• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No sign in until whmis done

CanadianTire said:
When did this WHIMIS training come about? As I mentioned earlier, I recall nothing about WHIMIS through my unit. We have a fairly good comms network for the JRs via secret Facebook groups, plus an official unit FB group so any important info generally hits us two three times in addition to any emails passed on.

Frigged if I know. Some mouth breather somewhere must have drank tritium earlier this fiscal or something.

No WHMiS training here either - sounds like someone imposing their own standards?

How ever did we survive without that essential training?

Maybe this is coincidental without the “tide pod challenge” I keep hearing about?

Having previously been the Senior HAZMAT cleanup instructor for the RCN there is some direction I can dig up on WHMIS 2015 when I get back to my desk tomorrow.

However, going from memory, there was a rollout cycle based on a 2 year set of periods.  2 years for this, 2 years for that, and by 2019, everything was to be in place and all legacy items would be up to date by that time.  Or so the theory went.

I had a very simple policy when units came out for HAZMAT Team Training.  They had to be 100% complete the WHMIS 2015 online module for all personnel attending.  Proof was simple...Monitor Mass Query for the MITE code associated, run against the crew list that were attending.

In my current job, I'm more concerned with things such as CTAT training.  Y'know, the Mandatory CTAT training (also through DLN) that every member of the CAF who comes in contact with CTAT equipment must have completed prior to 01 Jan 2013?  Yeah....I had a unit where I did an inspection last year that had 76/240 people who hadn't done the course.  Including CO/XO/COX'N.  That was....a finding....in the report.

So.

We have folks that haven't done mandatory training that's 5 years past due, and now we've got folks that are not doing mandatory training that's a few weeks past due (I think 01 Jan 18 was a deadline for some of it...I'll have to check at work again.)

Which should have greater priority? 

Unit Training?

Mandatory online courses? (CTAT, WHMIS, etc)

Mandatory briefings? (OPERATION HONOUR)

For the limited number of training days that troops have, particularly Reserve units, what is the answer?

For me in the training world, I'd send the ship a letter a month prior to the course through the School Cmdt with the expectations clearly laid out....and I'd RTU anyone who didn't have the MITE code.  (I also sent an e-copy of the letter to the Departmental Chief so that he could get a head-start on it.)

I wanted to train, but I also had standards that had to be held.  There was a balance...

How the PRes troops find that balance is a very interesting challenge.

Just a dumb question from a outsider (OK reservist many many decades ago) but first shouldn't the reserve unit be providing the WHMIS training?  Second if so how can a reservist take it if he/she can't sign in for parading. And I recall on my WHMIS training done when I was in the Correctional Service it took only a couple hours. So why doesn't the unit on an evening parade night use it for training and qualifying everyone on WHMIS (my memory of weekly parades it was 3 hours long 7pm-10pm) That's more than enough or should be to get one's WHMIS certificate. Mind you my reserve memories are from 1979-1981, I'm sure lots have changed
My 2 cents worth, likely not even worth that

Tom

Part of my post stated: ".....Workplace specific WHMIS training will be provided through on the job training or scheduled safety briefings. [size=12pt]Initial WHMIS training is conducted on BMQ. [/size]

In our Bde we added WHMIS to BMQ trg syllabus even though at the time, Trg Standards in Edm ranted and raved. Saved a lot of problems years ago as a soldier, recruited, arrived at the unit WHMIS trained. Catching those in the unit then took some time to capture. Record in UER.

DLN is accessible from the home - no need for a DWAN account. 

Indeed, I know some units that instructed soldiers to complete the course at home, and bring in a hard copy of their certificate to have a half day of pay authorized.

I've been waiting a few months to fix DLN. You do need DWAN to put in tickets and then they would communicate only with your DWAN account for any issues or clarification.

Latest is you won't get paid until you completed WHMIS and you won't get paid for the time you take to complete it.

meni0n said:
Latest is you won't get paid until you completed WHMIS and you won't get paid for the time you take to complete it.

That is a situation prohibited by regulations. You can not be forced to perform a duty without compensation. They can say you will only be permitted to sign in to complete WHMIS trg, but they can't make you do it on your own time.

ModlrMike said:
You can not be forced to perform a duty without compensation.

I wish that wisdom applied to civilian companies that pull that trick off routinely.

Back