• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No work History?? how important is it?

Drake.Kho

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi.
i was just wondering how important is work history/experience, compared to education, when apply to the CF.

before you answer, i'll just tell you a little about me and why i have no work history.
I'm 26 years old and i'm applying to the CF as an Aerospace Engineering Officer.
I have a M.Eng in Aerospace Science and Engineering from the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies, graduated in mar 2013. i also have a B.Eng in Aerospace Engineering with a specialization in Management Science Certification from Ryerson University, during which time i was VP of Public Relations for the Ryerson Student Union, among other extracurricular activities.

In the last 10+ years, I've gone from high school, to undergraduate, directly to graduate school, with a 1 year gap between undergrad and grad school, and another 1 year gap after graduate school.

My only possible advantage (that i can think of off the top of my head), over other candidates will be my Masters Degree (and yes i know there will be other candidate with Masters or PhDs), and the direct applicability of my fields of study.

will my degree override my lack of work history? will my degree in aerospace and management be favoured above a degree in some other field (mechanical, science, business, etc)?

Thank You in advanced.

Short answer - yes, your education history will make up for the fact you have no relevant work experience.  If fact, you're probably better off getting in with the Master's.  It'll be better for you as an officer if you get in.

Edit: Sp

I am confused.  How did you pay for all your studies, if you don't have any "work history"?  Surely, you have some work experience.

George Wallace said:
I am confused.  How did you pay for all your studies, if you don't have any "work history"?  Surely, you have some work experience.

i did work in high school. doing a bunch of typical teen jobs like working at canada's wonderland. but that was a long time ago.

as for how i paid for all my studies the answer is a combination of Personal Savings, RESP, scholarships/grants and OSAP. i have a little over $38,000 in OSAP loads.

Back