• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Normal or abnormal situation?

The CFRC told me they had a decision on my file, but they have to wait for the recruiter to get back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
MusclesGlasses said:
My favorite part of your post is where it's obvious you didn't read the rest of the posts above yours. :facepalm:

Ah. Missed the part she "originally" applied ROTP - but still can if all the spots for med tech are filled.  i'm just jittery because i know how competitive nursing officer is, that's all.

mld said:
. . . . .  as my goal is to be a doctor. I have everything a medical school is looking for, except medically related experience.  . . . . .  This would also give me the experience I need to apply to medical school and I think give me a "foot in the door" when I apply to MMTP or MOTP 5 or 6 years down the road. . . . . . .

I'm sure there are a few threads on this means that discussed (and mostly refuted by knowledgeable and experienced individuals) becoming a Med Tech as a stepping stone to med school.  Though I was familiar with a few Med Techs (well, actually Med As, I'm dating myself) who became doctors, I can recall only one who made that jump (not directly, went Pharmacy under UTPM first) while still serving in the Reg F.  However, I do know quite a few individuals who went MMTP without any previous "medically related experience", among them infantry officers (including the current Surg Gen), armour, artillery, pilots (including a former Surg Gen who is now, I believe, the current Col Cmdt of the CFMS), signals/communications, engineers and logisticians.  If you already "have everything a medical school is looking for", becoming a Med Tech is unlikely to enhance your application to med school.  As for applying for MMTP or MOTP, (unless things have changed significantly) the number one criteria (but not the only thing of course) they are looking for is whether an individual has already been accepted to, or is currently attending, medical school.

I want to make my application to med school as good as possible, so this is another thing I am doing. MMTP requires that you be a member of the forces, and being a med tech satisfies that AND gives me a job that I will love doing while I am going through the application process. Different people follow different paths to similar goals. So for you to tell me that being a med tech is not a stepping stone is kind of redundant. If becoming a physician works out in the forces, great! If it doesn't, I will have to do it as a civilian down the road. Thanks for you concern I guess, but I think I have a handle on everything.

Blackadder1916 said:
I can recall only one who made that jump (not directly, went Pharmacy under UTPM first) while still serving in the Reg F.

I totally understand this; however, he likely didn't have a degree already. How many medics do you know that have master level degrees? I am certainly not demeaning them, but I am told that it is quite abnormal for someone with such an academic background to go into the medic field.

Gee....I worked with a Cpl Clerk (Reg F) years ago who had a degree in Nuclear Engineering.  After about a month working with him, I was positive that in University, he must have stood too close to the plutonium for way too long when going to school.  What a thud..........  :facepalm:

DAA said:
Gee....I worked with a Cpl Clerk (Reg F) years ago who had a degree in Nuclear Engineering.  After about a month working with him, I was positive that in University, he must have stood too close to the plutonium for way too long when going to school.  What a thud..........  :facepalm:

haha! Being educated certainly does not always make one intelligent, or socially adept for that matter. Nuclear Engineering - YIKES!

mld said:
haha! Being educated certainly does not always make one intelligent, or socially adept for that matter. Nuclear Engineering - YIKES!

Not sure just how indepth you have been counselled mld, but based on your academic quals, have you ever considered either of these as possible options???

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/bioscienceofficer-51#info-1

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/trainingdevelopmentofficer-72#qr

DAA said:
Not sure just how indepth you have been counselled mld, but based on your academic quals, have you ever considered either of these as possible options???

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/bioscienceofficer-51#info-1

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/trainingdevelopmentofficer-72#qr

I have done a lot of research myself, and bioscience officer makes me DROOL! I would love to do that, but although my undergrad is an honours, it is a major in physical chemistry with minors in math and psychology. There are only a small handful of Bio Sci Officers, and I don't think my qualifications are competitive enough.

Training development Officer is an interest for sure, but at this point I really don't want to give up on becoming a doctor. I really want that. If for some reason that doesn't work out then I can put in a CT to change. At least while I am waiting during the CT process, I still have a job that I (hope I) will love doing. I did ask the recruiting officer about it, and he said that they have not hired training dev. officers off the street in years. Last year there were two positions available, and both were NCM's who showed promise and had BEd degrees. So the best chance I have for that is to make sure I show promise and get good reviews as a medic.

Teaching is not an option for me. My husband is in the forces and we get posted too often for me to ever land a contract. No one likes hiring military spouses because we are so transient.  I guess the old saying "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" comes to mind!

I notice that almost everyone I talk to advises me to go officer. Is it that unusual for people with degree to go in as an NCM? I am honestly curious, because it is literally everyone. Do you think I am making a huge mistake by going in as a NCM?

Well a few things come to mind.....

Is it really going to hurt you to apply for MAO-BIO or TDO?  Give it a shot and see what happens.....atleast you can say you tried!  You just never know, you may end up with one of the two and be happy in the end!

As far as applying for NCM while having a bachelors or masters degree......it happens and it happens by choice.  These people are generally always steered towards the officer stream but sometimes they just aren't interested in it and just want to be an NCM.

It all boils down to personal choice and what you want to do.

mld said:
I notice that almost everyone I talk to advises me to go officer. Is it that unusual for people with degree to go in as an NCM? I am honestly curious, because it is literally everyone. Do you think I am making a huge mistake by going in as a NCM?

Keep in mind that the minimum entry qualification for any NCM is 17 years old with grade 10 (not that that will get you in these days but...). The career arc is structured from that starting point. You may end up very quickly disillusioned as an NCM, as you are literally told how to suck eggs and given very little responsibility for the first few years. Now, you might be able to keep your head down and plow on, but you won't be promoted to Sgt one magical day either. At least three years to Cpl and 2 years in each rank thereafter if all the stars align. I'm not insulting anyone here, I was an NCM and did very well, but I had to put up with a lot of stuff I could have done without. I've seen many more prior-educated NCMs pull the plug early than stick around.

The officer world isn't a perfect fit for everyone either.

Still your choice.

In case anyone was curious, the provincial barrier was taken down a week early. I got my phone call today :) Leaving for BMQ on Jan 26.

mld said:
In case anyone was curious, the provincial barrier was taken down a week early. I got my phone call today :) Leaving for BMQ on Jan 26.

Congrats! I read through this thread, you have a good attitude. I'd wager you've got a pretty good career ahead to look forward to. Good luck.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
Congrats! I read through this thread, you have a good attitude. I'd wager you've got a pretty good career ahead to look forward to. Good luck.

Thank you! I think attitude is half the battle :)

At least.

And good luck.

Back