• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not quite out..not quite in

Bluebulldog

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can shed some light.

In Jan of this year, my work circumstance changed and I was faced with a tough decision, as to stay in, and possibly not be able to participate in training due to professional commitments, or request a release. As I didn't wish to waste my Regiments time, I sent a memo to my CoC for Voluntary release.

As of March I had heard no response at all from the Rgt. In early April one of the clerks gave me a call about kit return. I made the necessary arrangements, and did so. At the time, no one had given me any paperwork, or any correspondence whatsoever.

At the conclusion of the Summer I had a very long meeting with my civvy boss, and he confirmed that things will remain as they were previously. As I had no contact from anyone in the rgt with respect to release paperwork, I sent a memo to my CoC indicating my change in circumstance, and inquiring as to whether or not a return to training could be facilitated. They indicated in the affirmative, and that I would have to meet with the RSM.

Today I received a call from the ROR, and they indicated they'd like me at the armouries next week to sign the papers for my release ( since apparently they had initiated the process) and there were no slots at the regiment available. They also indicated that I could meet with the RSM to discuss this, if he wished to stop the process.

I'm just wondering if I should hold off on signing the release until I speak with the RSM? If indeed, no paperwork has been signed by myself, nor have any of the procedures for an NES 5f been followed, am I technically not released?

If you have not paraded in more that 30 days you are NES.  Did you receive any letters from the unit telling you that you were NES?  If yes, did you respond to the letters? 

If you submitted a memo requesting a voluntary release (4C)  then they should have contacted you to come sign the paperwork.  If they didn't then I would talk to the RSM without signing anything, and explain your situation.  A 5F release because of NES does not require the member's signature, however the CO is obligated to send you a registered letter with the intent to release notification in it.

Bluebulldog said:
I'm just wondering if I should hold off on signing the release until I speak with the RSM? If indeed, no paperwork has been signed by myself, nor have any of the procedures for an NES 5f been followed, am I technically not released?

Inform your OR of your message to talk to the RSM and let them know that you are deferring until then.

Set up a meeting with the RSM.

Write out in both point form and in prose what has happened in this chain of events, from beginning to end, including names and dates.

Be prepared to explain what you can commit to.

Then talk to the RSM.

..and next time you need time off, ask for an ED&T (excused drill and training). ;)

recceguy said:
..and next time you need time off, ask for an ED&T (excused drill and training). ;)

Thanks Recceguy, if my CoC had made me aware of an ED&T, I would have tried that route.

Thank you all for your input. I certainly will hold out to see the RSM first, as no, I was not sent any notice about being NES, nor did anyone contact me about completing my release paperwork prior to my last memo to my CoC about returning to training.

[off topic]

Sorry, the title of this thread is making me laugh right now.    >:D

[/on topic]

PMedMoe said:
[off topic]

Sorry, the title of this thread is making me laugh right now.    >:D

[/on topic]

Trust you to notice that!!  ;D

Gentlemen..let the record show that the topic was officially pulled into the gutter by a woman......up until then...all was tracking nicely ;)

Bluebulldog said:
Gentlemen..let the record show that the topic was officially pulled into the gutter by a woman......up until then...all was tracking nicely ;)

:bowing:  Thank you, thank you.

At least I didn't misinterpret a companion visit.    ;)

Just a quick update.

Notified the OR that I wanted a meeting with the RSM.

This weekend I got the notice from them that I have a scheduled appt with him. They indicated that failure to attend would result in them stsrting the process for an NES 5F discharge. ( despite the fact that indeed I had notified my CoC previously). They also indicated that if I wish to remain with the unit, I was to put this request in writing. As one of the previous posters indicated, I have done so, and outlined what I can commit to in writing as well.

So it looks like they're going to treat it as a typical person missing training scenario, and if all goes well with the RSM, I can continue training with the unit.

Thank you folks very much.

Back