• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Notes from Operation Rolling Thunder

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Notes from Operation Rolling Thunder
Katherine O'Neill, June 2, 2008 at 7:18 AM EDT Article Link

It's already been three days since I've returned to Kandahar Air Field (KAF) after being out with the Canadian battle group all last week, but I'm still quite jumpy. All it takes is for a door to slam to fray my nerves.

I was the only journalist embedded with the military during Operation Rolling Thunder, a secret mission conducted last week by Afghan and Canadian soldiers in Pashmul. The objective was to disrupt Taliban activity, including bomb-making labs, and for three extremely hot and dusty days Canadian soldiers engaged in combat with insurgents. It was the heaviest fighting troops have been involved in so far this year, and not one Canadian soldier was injured.

On the first day of the operation, I was standing in a wheat field with two soldiers from 2PPCLI, C company, 7 Platoon and an Afghan interpreter when bullets first starting flying.

We immediately dropped to the ground and then scrambled to safety behind a mud compound.

On two day, we were standing in a wheat field again when we heard the distinct cracking sound of bullets being fired from AK-47s. Stray bullets starting whizzing by us, so we dropped to the ground again. This time, an Afghan interpreter and I were stuck there – nose to the ground -- for what seemed like an eternity while soldiers tried to figure out where the gun fire was coming from and pick a suitable place to take cover (there weren't many).

By day three, I knew the drill when a lengthy gun battle erupted. Luckily, I was in a lush grape field, where there was ample cover and shelter from the shrapnel being sprayed from the constant artillery fire by the Canadians.

Each day lasted about 12-14 hours. At night, the soldiers would return to nearby forward operating bases to eat, rest and share war stories. For many, it was the first time they had ever been to battle.

Despite the stifling heat, long marches and early mornings (one started at 1 a.m.), I rarely heard soldiers complaining. There wasn't even a lot of grousing on Wednesday night when news quickly spread throughout the small forward operating base that senior officers from the battle group were holding a private BBQ beside the mess hall while they ate rations.
More on link

GAP said:
There wasn't even a lot of grousing on Wednesday night when news quickly spread throughout the small forward operating base that senior officers from the battle group were holding a private BBQ beside the mess hall while they ate rations.
I hate shit like this.  Us and them.  I mean, the vision I get of BBQ involves a lot of beer.  The vision I get is that of a bunch of stuffed hats sitting around, telling war stories as the Pig is roasted by a coolie or something. 
I imagine that the "news" being spread was "rumour", and the fact was something along the line of that the fresh rations back at camp X was barbequed, vice roasted.  Yes, while they ate rations.  And when they went to bed, they went to sleep on a bed, with a mattress!

Geez, I'm in Canada, quite comfortable, I might add, should I instead sleep in a ditch because a soldier does over there?  Even though I've spent my fair share of nights in ditches?

(Sorry, having a rough day)

What if it was reported correctly and they did eat BBQ while the rest at IMP's/MRI's?  Should anyone care?  Its not like the military is permeated with fairness.

So what if the pointy heads have a BBQ?
I know for a fact that when we came back from being out for weeks at a time there were suds and BBQs laid on for us.
It's all about being the quiet professional. Sounds like the Hesco Hobbits are whining again!

I remember on several occasions getting back to KAF and NOT having anything laid on because the guys in QM forgot to request it.. GRR

Hmph.... to a newsie who is attached to an operational unit, I am sure that the "private BBQ" certainly appeared unfair.

It's not like Mr Fraser's book "The General danced till dawn" where troops were drafted into doing the most ridiculous things.

Hehehehe...you said Fraser....I still can't figure out why he was wearing a 10th Mountian Div patch...

At least until recently, the plan was to have enough BBQ fixin's for everybody to have one or two during their tour.  Actual BBQs and tools were also obtained and sent out to at least some of the FOBs.

The optics certainly suck but I suspect there may be a bit more to it than what appears on the surface.

TrexLink said:
The optics certainly suck but I suspect there may be a bit more to it than what appears on the surface.

There always is.

A cigar is almost never a cigar.

Or the officers had a BBQ.So freakin what?I had one of those timmy's in a box on maple guardian on top of my tank.Many guy's from other trades commented onhow they should jump my crew.I even took a sip and urged it down in front of them,IIRC I said "it was wayyyy too hot".

I wouldnt have given the OC a sip.

Back